Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakelady96

Reaction score
Hey guys im interested in getting an arafura file snake, does anyone breed them or know anyone that does? Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers :)

I seen these guys for the first time at Toronga the other day and read up about them they seem really cool, id like to know if you can own them

You can own them. The hard part seems to be where to find one to buy.

They are not the easiest snakes to keep - have you got any experience with them or any aquatic snakes?

They are not the easiest snakes to keep - have you got any experience with them or any aquatic snakes?

I know they are not the easy to keep but i know i am ready for one, i currently have ALOT of snakes- too many to name but some of the harder species to keep like gtp's, albino darwins, olives, scrubies, womas etc. Ive kept monitors and goannas before too and legless lizards and skinks, dragons all that. Ive been more into snakes now this past few years.

They're not that hard to look after, however I would suggest keeping a healthy established fish tank first. Keeping snakes does not mean you can keep aquatic snakes. You have to keep a constant supply of fish, NOT GOLDFISH. As they get bigger fish aren't the cheapest things to buy. They can suffer whitespot just like fish, from memory they don't mature until about 7 years old so aren't the easiest to breed either.

Keeping up with an established tank will determine if your ready for aquatic snakes, you need to complete frequent water changes, water conditions, filter maintenance etc. Just because you think you're ready doesn't mean your ready for the additional work of an aquatic environment.

You are absolutely right gillsy, oddly, they can live and survive in the filthiest puddle in the wild, yet they can be quite finicky in a tank. I found them very secretive, even the ones at Taronga, they're forever hiding in the corners of the tank and if you give them hiding caves, you never see them. They don't do well in small tank either. As you said, keeping up with the food is a challenge.

Yeah Waterrat, my theory for that dirty pond is water conditions stay the same, the problem with tanks and water changes etc, is everytime they happen it is a sudden difference in water conditions on a gradual one like would happen in the wild.

Along with that there is natural salt in most australian water, like with turtles adding aquarium salt will solve most of your issues.

wasn't there on last year at the australian frog and reptile show at sydney olympic park in an aquatic enclosure that had turtles, a gtp, and the water fie snake sort of thing...... i may be wrong, anybody see this?

forgot to add it was an enclosure from extreme pets..

I am all for mixed enclosures, and I'm going to be keeping gts, keels and turts together. Once I get a taller tank, i'll be keeping GTP's with Turts.

I am all for mixed enclosures, and I'm going to be keeping gts, keels and turts together. Once I get a taller tank, i'll be keeping GTP's with Turts.

sounds good, that tank i mentioned looked amazing, it was about 2m tall with 3/4 tall of a metre being water with a hole rainforest theme...

I found them very secretive, even the ones at Taronga, they're forever hiding in the corners of the tank and if you give them hiding caves, you never see them..

When i went there both of them where right on the front of the glass

When i went there both of them where right on the front of the glass

The tank is very dim to simulate night time, the same at the Sydney Aquarium. Something you would hardly do in a private collection. When the lights are on, they're hiding.

The tank is very dim to simulate night time, the same at the Sydney Aquarium. Something you would hardly do in a private collection. When the lights are on, they're hiding.

and most people i know that have them, keep the water tanin stanned so block out light, and don't have aquariums lights on the tank at all.

Snakelady we aren't try to distract you from keeping them, you just have to be aware just because you've kept other reptiles unless you have kept fish experience doesn't really count.

You just have to be aware there not as interesting as made out, if you want an aquatic snake Macleay's Water Snake is a better one, not as big, cheaper to feed and a lot more active.

Last edited:
I keep my filesnake tank darkish and with alot of tannins ,The file comes out at night to the front of the tank , even strikes if you get too close to the glass , cool snakes to keep , just keep warm acid salty water and you wont get whitespot.

They are more like keeping fish than reptiles...
Sorry I don't know anyone breeding them , took me 4 years to get mine

Last edited:
I keep my filesnake tank darkish and with alot of tannins ,The file comes out at night to the front of the tank , even strikes if you get too close to the glass , cool snakes to keep , just keep warm acid salty water and you wont get whitespot.

They are more like keeping fish than reptiles...
Sorry I don't know anyone breeding them , took me 4 years to get mine

My point exactly, keep fish then keep keels

Ohh thanks for the advice guys! What i was thinking was totally wrong, i thought they are in a normal enclosure half water half land, i was going to build an enclosure with a divider going vertically in the middle and half would be land, artificial trees, rocks, logs etc and the other half would have water in it with fish. I guess im not ready yet and will just stick to my land snakes for now :) Cheers everyone for the advice on keeping them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back