Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a spotted as my first snake - he's bitey, but I like him anyway. A case of small-snake-syndrome, I guess.
All snakes can bite. Doesn't mean they will, but you should always acknowledge that they can. Smaller teeth means a smaller bite. I guess it just depends on how old your kids are and whether they can be trusted to not jerk away if they ARE bitten (which is harder than it sounds)

Thanx to all for your inputs. I am more thinking a spotte, chlidens. Or stimm. Might look into a yearling with a good temperament

Rob there is also a reptile expo on at Ipswich in November ask joy from scales and tales for more info on where and when as you can get plenty of info from expos.

as a hatchling, its natural instinct for a snake to bit until it is use to being handled could take a few weeks/month plus depending on how much u play with it. iv got 3 that have never stricked a day in there life so im lucky. if u want small id say the childrens python but if u want something that will get fairly large for for a carpet python, bredli's are beautiful (one of my favourite) u could get an olive which are amazing pythons or u could go a beautiful black and yellow diamond python. its really up to u in the end.

Rob go to a Reptile show have a good talk to people about snakes and have a look what you like .They are very friendly and you will get to know what you like .I have bought my first off a friend
a couple of weeks ago it was worth the wait belive me .Lucy is a nth QLD Diamond python .She is the best handler and eats well .Find someone thats selling a older Snake as the they will know the snake how it feeds and handels . .Go to a Reptlie Show and take the kids .Hope this helps a bit cheers Trev Heres my moblie number if you would like anymore help 0450785650

Rob Diamonds are unreal Son has the child python very snappy at first .Like i said if you get one 12mts old shouldent have a problem

Last edited:
About a year ago I was in the same situation as you - no idea about the different "types" of snakes or their care - ACTUALLY JUST NO IDEA. As pointed out already -pick what snake you want with probably a few constraints / criteria. Here's my dumbass thought pattern

First thought was size. My thoughts were to go on the smaller end as I thought bigger = harder. Not quite the case as Bredli's and Coastals seem to be fairly placid.
I didn't want one too heavy or chunky (thick). But on the other hand didn't want something too small either. So I decided to go middle of the road which encompasses most of the Carpets. or Womas (The Ants just don't appeal to me at all). The Womas didn't really do it for me either so that just left the carpets.

From there it was easier - look at all the pics I could, read all the guff on this site (everyone believes their their snake is the greatest), and filter out what appeals to you.

In the end I decided on a Darwin het. as they are one of the smaller carpets in length and slightly "thinner" than some others. I like the natural colors/patterns (varying considerably), but apparently the albinism gene also appears to have an influence on their natures (ie. being more placid). For me - I got the snake I wanted - very happy. Of course now I just want more (different types) and I've seen some darwins that are just sensational (especially the darwin owned by NATO and bred by Colin).

For newbies - probably a good idea to wipe out the larger ones such as Olives and Scrubbies unless you just want to keep snakes and get rid of the rug rats.

Everyone has ideas on what suits them - It all comes down to what criteria that suits you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back