MORTEIN NaturGard self spraying insect control

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about tansy, but mint and basil are easy - mint should be kept in a pot as it will take over!

Top Of Descent also contains Synthetic Pyrethrums
D-Allethrin I think if memory serves me correctly

Thanks Longqi! i remember that thread.

My fishtank has a hood which probably offered some protection.

So glad you saw this thread as I had searched for yours but couldnt remember the name...

Sourced from Wikipedia on Pyrethroid (Active ingredient in this product - the natural part):

"Pyrethroids are considered safe because most vertebrates have sufficient enzymes required for rapid breakdown. Toxicity for vertebrates, including humans, occur at extremely high concentrations, but repeated exposure may increase health risks at lower concentration. Anaphylaxis has been reported after pyrethrum exposure, but allergic reaction to pyrethroids has not been documented. Increased sensitivity occurs following repeated exposure to cyanide, which is found in pyrethroids like beta-cyfluthrin (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Awareness, J. Edward Hill, MD, President & Executive Committee Member, AMA).
A possible correlation has been noted between exposure to pyrethrins and autism, although no causal link was established.[SUP][9][/SUP]"

Sourced from Wikipedia on Pyrethroid (Active ingredient in this product - the natural part):

"Pyrethroids are considered safe because most vertebrates have sufficient enzymes required for rapid breakdown. Toxicity for vertebrates, including humans, occur at extremely high concentrations, but repeated exposure may increase health risks at lower concentration. Anaphylaxis has been reported after pyrethrum exposure, but allergic reaction to pyrethroids has not been documented. Increased sensitivity occurs following repeated exposure to cyanide, which is found in pyrethroids like beta-cyfluthrin (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Awareness, J. Edward Hill, MD, President & Executive Committee Member, AMA).
A possible correlation has been noted between exposure to pyrethrins and autism, although no causal link was established.[SUP][9][/SUP]"

Not that I needed convincing but you have just done it for me virides!

Please dont flame me due to my dumbness, but snakes are vertibrates arent they? sorry- i really am not book smart...

Do you think using a plant based insecticide is more safe than a synthetic one? Some of the most toxic substances on the planet are made by plants.

Do you think using a plant based insecticide is more safe than a synthetic one? Some of the most toxic substances on the planet are made by plants.

i dont think anything.... if i did I wouldnt have posted this asking peoples opinions, I would have just turned the thing on...

Not that I needed convincing but you have just done it for me virides!

Please dont flame me due to my dumbness, but snakes are vertibrates arent they? sorry- i really am not book smart...

Vertibrates = skeleton surrounded by tissue (birds,dogs, cats, reptiles, humans, fish, etc), but are defined as having a back bone (spine)
Invertibrates = skeleton surrounding tissue (insects, crabs, etc), but are defined as not having a back bone (spine)

:)

Vertibrates = skeleton surrounded by tissue (birds,dogs, cats, reptiles, humans, fish, etc), but are defined as having a back bone (spine)
Invertibrates = skeleton surrounding tissue (insects, crabs, etc), but are defined as not having a back bone (spine)

:)

Thanks, thats what I thought, now I am even more confused... It could be safe, but also could build up in their bodies over time making it unsafe?

I wouldn't use one!!! And not for the sake of the animals but your family!!!

Recently I have picked up a can of "well known" home freshener. On the commercial the lady sprays her whole house with it and was smiling at how nice the house smelled.

So I read the warnings at the back and almost had a heart attack! This is what some of the things were:

-For the first time - try this product in one room wait 24 hours to make sure no one has an allergic reaction.
-Do not spray near food.
- Open all windows and doors to ventilate area sprayed (Like seriously why would you make the house smell nice only to open all windows and doors!)

and my favourite!

- remove all live birds!!!

If it can kill birds what the F is it doing to us!!!

I dont know the exact recipe for Mortein
But it will most definitely not be a Natural Pyrethrum as the Synthetics are much cheaper to produce
I tried to get information from Callington Haven, who make Top Of Descent but received zero replies

As far as I know there has never been a long term trial of the effect of Pyrethroids on reptiles
But there have been trials with birds showing no effect at low level long term exposure
Reptiles are extremely similar to birds in many ways

Yes there is a chance it could slowly build up in their bodies
That was why I stopped the trial after 2 months
No-one could tell me exactly what the outcome would be so I simply stopped the experiment as it had worked for me

Last edited:
ok this may help!
Bay leaf, lavender, lemongrass and rosemary are around each of our doors in pots. Just brushing past them is all I need to do and the dogs and cat dont mind them.
'There are masking plants, repelling plants and plants that can be used to make sprays to kill. Many herbs fall into all three of those categories.'
Masking herbs include Sage (Salvia officinalis) and Thyme(Thymus spp.). Calamint (Calamintha officinalis) has a strong, fresh, minty smell. 'It will confuse pests that are heading for your prize tomatoes,' says Penny. To help repel cabbage moth from cabbages and cauliflowers, grow Oregano, sometimes known as Sweet Marjoram (Origanum vulgaressp. vulgare). Its masking effect will also confuse pests near a favourite plant such as a gardenia or a rose.
Dried Santolina or Cotton Lavender plant (Santolina chamaecyparissus) has strong insect-repellent qualities. Mix with English Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) flowers in sachets and store these amongst linen, clothes and sheets to keep moths away. Aniseed-flavoured and scented Fennel(Foeniculum vulgare) makes a good wash to keep pets free of fleas. Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis), the common bay leaf used in cooking, can be put into jars of noodles and flour to keep weevils out and between the pages of books to keep silverfish from eating them. Fresh leaves are better than dried.
Basil (Ocimum spp.) grown in pots in a barbecue area or near an open door or window will keep flies and mosquitoes away.Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) is one of the stronger herbs. Grow it near a doorway to repel flies, or spread the leaves around to repel ants. Wormwood, such as Tree or Silver Wormwood (Artemisia arborescens) is particularly good for repelling cats. Simply lay a branch of it over newly dug gardens. Sprinkle the leaves around newly planted seedlings to repel snails. Southernwood (Artemisia abrotanum) grown in a chook pen will keep them clear of lice. The familiar sprayPyrethrum (Tanacetum cinerariifolium) grows as an attractive, tough garden plant, with a white daisy flower which is used dried.
For fungal rather than insect problems, make your own herb sprays. Pour boiling water over a cupful of dried Chamomileflowers (Chamaemelum nobile), let them seep for 10-20 minutes, cool and use the liquid as a spray on young seedlings.Sheoak (Allocasuarina sp.) while not a herb, can be similarly effective. Put 400gm of cut Sheoak` needles into boiling water in a saucepan, let it stew for 20 minutes, cool and use as you would the chamomile spray.
Garden hygiene is an important part of any pest-control regime. Keep your plants healthy and well-ventilated. Dispose of any infected plant material. Rotate crops to prevent a build-up of soil-borne pests. Attract predators like birds, frogs, lizards and good insects by planting suitable plants.
REFERENCE: Woodward, Penny, Pest-Repellent Plants(Hyland House, Victoria 1997)
"Pennyroyal oil brushed into the wood around benches does seem to keep them (flies) away-except when there is something more odourous and attractive, like meat, on the bench." French, J; Organic Control of Household Pets; 1988; p20.

Homemade Fly Paper
INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup corn syrup ,1/2 cup sugar
1. Cut 4 or 5 long strips about 2 inches wide from brown paper bags. Mix the ingredients in a bowl and spread it on the strips with a knife. Hang the strips over a bowl to catch drips.

Sorry its long but thought it may help others 2!!!!
:D

Thanks so much Starr. Very helpful!!!

Longqi, thanks very very much for that... as I said earlier, the bird has been fine with this thing being used for 6 months last summer, but I wont turn it on this year, may get the spray to use occasionally.

Thank yopu all for your responses and thanks for not flaming me! :)

Sarah

it won't hurt them i use the mortien natural in my bird aviaries all the time the only thing it kills is the insects, the quails have even eaten the insects as they fall to the floor of the aviary.

BJC-787 may I ask how long you have been using this for?

as i said earlier this was positioned right above my fishtank and 1m right of my bird cage with no ill effects to either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back