Bass amps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dozerman

Reaction score
I know there are bass players out there. Im looking at a new bass amp, thinking Hartke or Eden Nemesis . Any

thoughts/ suggestions ?

cheers Shaun

Marshall is my preference. basically because they have built there reputation over many years of experience and knowledge of the product they make. what are you looking at getting a full stack or half stack? btw i play bass but not as much

Marshall would be nice but with a family and a reptile habit..... looking for a 300watt + head and 4 x 10 cab.

Ive checked ozbass. Are there any other aussie forums mysteryfang?

Not sure dozer....there is another called talkbass which is an international forum.I played some harkte amps a few years ago didn't really dig them(was playing in a metal band).don't know to much about edens,borrowed swr's and ampegs (loved the ampeg)at gigs and I currently have a peavey 450watt head and 410 cab which moves alot of air,but not a very versatile rig(mainly rock/blues the last 2 years).what music styles you playing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use line 6 for my guitars best amp ever not sure if they have them for bass's you can allways check but evryone i know who has a line6 is really happy with them

Do you want electronic or valve? The valves sound better in my opinion. What styles of music? Electronic is better if you want effects but a valve just simply gives a better basic sound IMO. Ashton has a pretty nice cheap valve amp. If you match it to some good quads you can get a nice sound. At the end of the day money talks and you can't go past a classic Marshall, Fender or even a Peavey etc.

What is your budget and what sort of league are you wanting to step into? Also what is your playing style and genre?

Line6 is great at cheaply emulating other amps but you get what you pay for in terms of quality. There's a reason why they're cheaper. And i'm not bagging them out, i have a line6 quadbox and head for guitar and even though i love it and have used it on stage, it isn't anywhere near as nice sounding as propper amps.

I have lots of experience with ampeg amps and would thoroughly recommend them. My bassist plays a 8 x 10 with a classic SVT head and the sound he gets from that is huge. Have used it on stage everywhere from my garage, small pubs, up to large venues such as the Corner hotel in melbourne and its held up exceptionally well. I'm the drummer and his bass always cuts through the mix for me to play along to live. My bassist plays a mixture of fingers with some picking at times and a lot of slaps. Its punchy with pick and slaps and very nice and very full when fingering.

This is what i'm talking about...

Ampeg: Classic Series - SVT-CL
Ampeg: Classic Series - SVT-810E

While i don't know about other speaker combinations or sizes as i haven't heard them first hand, i would recommend the 4 x 10 if the 8 x 10 is too big for your needs as it would sound the same, just less volume. (it will still be bloody loud!)

Thanks for the great response. Im currently playing with two different bands, one does covers, we play every thing from smokin'johnny cash to pub rock to heavy 70's rock with some bad funk to top it off, the other is a weird jam band. I play mainly fingerstyle but resort to a pick for the 16 note , fast stuff.

Ive played a few different amps and think Ive settled on Hartke. Its a tranny amp but has a tube in the pre amp and seems to be fairly versatile tone wise even with my cheap J and P basses.

If you've found something you're happy with that gets the sound that you prefer then thats the amp for you! Just try out anything and everything. your ears will tell you what to go with. unless your wallet intervenes :p

Muck around on some full valve amps and you will never touch an electronic one again. Maybe look into laybuying a circa 70s 2nd hand Marshall or Fender head......these are better than the new ones and they are stadium concert ready.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back