Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great stuff, Kathy,

Any chance of progress and, hopefully, eventual release pics? It'd be nice to have a record for youself, I'd imagine. It's certainly a handsome little animal.

like i said at the bottom of my last post...... it looks like you have done well

A medical explanation to the effects of increasing humidity. The human body loses 800ml to a litre a day through breathing. The heated air we breathe out contains moisture.
While you may think it is insignificant, but breathing in air with a high humidity will get absorbed through the thing lung walls. These same lungs allow gas exchange, so it is easy to visualise they allow moisture exchange as well.
In the case of an unwell reptile, the moisture absorbed through the lungs may make all the difference.

He swung around so fast I whacked my hand on his glass door to get it out his tank before he could bite me :D He can lift his head up stronger - still a bit shakey but he is holding his head straight now, not lop sided like he was. Still no tongue flicking but he's doing well :D

Wow, that sounds a lot better than he was. It's a shame you can't explain to him that you're helping and don't want to hurt him.

Ricky is still coming forward. :D I did take photos but they're crap so I'll try again later but checked in on him today to find him laying there with his head up. Shakey and slight lean still but he is starting to use his legs again and was even up on his feet and followed me with his eyes and turned round so he could see me, as I opened the far door of his tank. I wasn't game to open the one near him incase he tried to bolt out. 3 days ago I put a pinky rat in there with him, today its gone. :D Will get some new photos up shortly when I get some decent ones.

Very nice. So happy to hear about his slow but sure improvement. What a lucky little lacie. :)

Well done Kathy, hope he continues to improve for you:)!

Keep us updated, please.

001-7.jpg

066-1.jpg

His progress has been slow but I am not so sure, if slow is anything to worry about. These aren't my best photos - I've been warey of him, having his door open to snap the photos. But while I was happy to see his head up off the ground the day other day, I haven't seen him lift his head since, and he still has a lean to one side. And I have noticed that he is slower at opening his left eye. I can wave my hand past the left side of his face and he doesn't respond very fast. His eye opens eventually, but if he happens to be positioned so his right side is facing the door, he knows I am there before I make a noise. He is alert and watches my every move, even trying giving me a tail whip.

I don't care how long it takes. He is here to stay for as long as it takes, but how long would you give him, before you can decide that he isn't going to improve any further? He has eaten another pinky rat, but there is still one left rotting in his cage - YUCK! :lol:

Last edited:
He is here to stay for as long as it takes, but how long would you give him, before you can decide that he isn't going to improve any further?
That's a good question but I'm afraid I can't answer that. I suppose if there were no change for a few months I'd assume he's not going to improve further. It's so good of you to look after him/her, though, the poor little tyke!

I'm far from an expert,
but I'd say until I could see the animal was deteriorating and hence suffering...I'd keep trying my best. I know he's recovering slowly, but like crocdoc said; as long as he is showing improvement I'd keep him.
Since it likely is neurological, he probably will need quite some time, even if he is going to pull through.

slightly off topic and clearly different; but my uncle was in a car crash, completely paralyzed from brain injury...one day, out of no where, he just got up and started walking (his personality remained changed from the damage though).
So hopefully he has a similar lucky fate!

Good on you too Kathy, no doubt he's appreciating the warm, food, and peace and quiet!

Cool story, vamps.

If he doesn't improve enough to make it in the wild, but he's in good enough condition to remain captive, will you keep him? I think it's great what you're doing.

Thanks guys. I have no intentions of giving up on this fella. Just looking for reassurance that I am not holding him in cruel suffering. He might be only taking tiny steps forward, but he has not stepped backwards so he can stay here as long as he wants.

CDB what a lovely story. That is amazing and good to hear your Uncle recovered like that. You've just renewed my confidence that Ricky is no where near game over.

Kawasakirider should that end up being the case yes I will keep him. Not sure my husband would be impressed but he won't say much until I have a dog-sized dinosaur eating us out of house and home. Right now he thinks he is cute :D When he smiles I know I'm off the hook and Ricky can stay :D

Thanks guys. I have no intentions of giving up on this fella. Just looking for reassurance that I am not holding him in cruel suffering. He might be only taking tiny steps forward, but he has not stepped backwards so he can stay here as long as he wants.

CDB what a lovely story. That is amazing and good to hear your Uncle recovered like that. You've just renewed my confidence that Ricky is no where near game over.

Kawasakirider should that end up being the case yes I will keep him. Not sure my husband would be impressed but he won't say much until I have a dog-sized dinosaur eating us out of house and home. Right now he thinks he is cute :D When he smiles I know I'm off the hook and Ricky can stay :D
Good on you for keeping up the hope for him. :)

I'm just interested in how you would go about keeping him if he were not to make a full recovery. I haven't heard many stories of this happening with private owners, just with Zoos, etc. so I'm just interested in what sort of process you'd have to go through.

I'll cross that bridge if I come to it Chantelle. But I am confident he will be going home, back to where he belongs. I just went out and checked on him. When I opened the door, his head came up off the ground and he gave his tail a bit of a fling, :D probably to let me know he's ready to defend himself if I pose a threat to him. But I didn't harass him. I am all too aware of what I am dealing with so have no intentions of getting into an argument with him.

He finally ate his rats - yuck - I don't know how they can do that, then he must wash his mouth out in his water which ends up full of maggots that had already started on the pinkies. But I guess that is how he likes them.

001-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

008.jpg

PS, see the white thing in the corner of his enclosure, sitting on that black pot? That is a thermometer/hygrometer I bought off Ebay. I paid $9 for two of them. They don't work. The needle on that has not moved since the day I got it.

Last edited:
Wonderful that he still has his fighting spirit. Such a beautiful little lacey, and once again you're a wonderful person to putting so much effort into his recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back