egg selling laws in Vic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
does anyone know what the laws are regarding the selling of reptile eggs that an animal you keep lays in Victoria

thx

i am pretty sure it is the same as selling reptiles,

well im not too sure that too many people would want hatched eggs :S
I understand that but why would you sell them before they hatch. It would cause issues as the egg may be harmed in transport of the egg between sale and purchase. I was always under the impression don't count you chickens (this case reptiles) before the hatch. Just seems like a silly, pointless exercise. All the best if you can.

needs to be recorded as a transaction

- 10 eggs sent for incubation - then the details of the person

needs to be recorded as a transaction

- 10 eggs sent for incubation - then the details of the person
I was always led to believe that eggs were not allowed to be traded at all. I will check the book tomorrow but pretty sure I am correct.
Paul

Here in Victoria you are not allowed to transfer Reptile eggs between licences at all, until the Reptile hatches from its egg and is feeding 100% you cannot dispose of them either, if you want to know more l would advice you to contact the Game & Wildlife Licencing on 136186 to find out.

l myself did have a issue with someone who l will not mention their name on here in early 2006, that took one of my female Desert Sand Monitor's that was pregnant and was due to lay her eggs, but l was told by DSE Wildlife Officers that l was not allowed to tranfer one of my female Sandie to another licencee, and get her back with her eggs once they were laid it was againt's the 1975 wildlife act.

Last edited:
Here in Victoria you are not allowed to transfer Reptile eggs between licences at all, until the Reptile hatches from its egg and is feeding 100% you cannot dispose of them at all, if you want to know more l would advice you to contact the Game & Wildlife Licencing on 136186 to find out.

l myself did have a issue with someone who l will not mention their name on here in early 2006, that took one of my female Desert Sand Monitor's that was pregnant and was due to lay her eggs, but l was told by DSE Wildlife Officers that l was not allowed to tranfer one of my female Sandie to another licencee, and get her back with her eggs once they were laid it was againt's the 1975 wildlife act.
I don't know about that!. I cannot see any issue selling a gravid animal, I am just talking about transferring eggs from one book to another.
Paul

I don't know about that!. I cannot see any issue selling a gravid animal, I am just talking about transferring eggs from one book to another.
Paul

Yes you can sell or swap a gravid Reptile to another licencee, but what l meant is once the female Sandie had laid her eggs l would want her back straightaway with her clutch of eggs, cause at the time l had nowhere to put her on her own so she could lay her eggs without the males or other female Sandies annoying her.

a few conflicting answers here
Some feedback tomorrow would be good
Eggs are hardier than people take for granted
I cannot see many reasons why eggs could not be transported and succesfully hatched
For example
Chicken eggs - and yes they are not reptile eggs and can handle movement
Chicken eggs can be stored at an ambient teperature of less than 20 degrees for a week and then be transported by AAE interstate and have a high percentage of hatch rate at the other end incubated or under a broody hen.
I cannot see why reptile eggs could not be delicately handled and transported for an hour or more and not hatch. (and im not talking about airfreight for reptile eggs.

For all those interested i was talking to DSE today on an unrelated matter and i asked the question.
the answer was
that you cannot transfer eggs
this is because they are classed as being NOT self sufficient
this would also relate to non feeding hatchies etc

a bit silly i think but hey thems the laws

Last edited:
Yes you are totally correct "self sufficient" is the key word. The other reason is because you are unable to identify the species from an egg.
Paul

Paul, Thanks for letting me know l am totally correct in regards to knot being allowed to trade or swap Reptile Egg, like you say "self sufficient" is the key word. and you cannot identify the species from inside an egg, l agree with you 100%.

Cheers,

reptilian1924 ( Les ).

A non feeding hatchy would still be classed as self sufficient because they would be on their own in the wild. I suppose you could argue that lizard eggs are "self sufficient" once laid, but it all gets to complicated if you go down that road. It is a real issue with birds as everyone wants baby birds that they can finish off hand rearing themselves but it is actually illegal to sell them unweaned. (Not sure about other states and would only be relative to birds listed in the schedule)
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back