can anyone tell me what this is?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilkel

Reaction score
can anyone tell me what this is?i was digging in the garden and it popped up.i only found the one.it is a pinky colour and looks more like a worm than snake.i'm thinking blind snake or legless lizard.IMGP3479.jpg
ZoomButt.gif

its not a worm, the head makes it look like a lizard, could you get a clearer pics?
i dont think its a ramphotoyphlops

its not a worm, the head makes it look like a lizard, could you get a clearer pics?
i dont think its a ramphotoyphlops

I did say 'thinking'.......i did notice the 'flatter' shaped head.......but thought maybe its just been squished!

If you can see a tiny scaled pattern, a small mouth and two black dots where eyes would be (only on one end), then it's a blind snake, I get heaps of them where I am.

more pics

here are some more pics,still a little blurry ,sorry.the tail end is round like a worm,the head pointier like a snake/lizard. and it keeps burrowing.i just want to be sure it's not poisonous as i have a little boy that loves playing in the garden.i am on the central coast nsw,if that makes a difference.:D
ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif

Attachments

• IMGP3492.jpg
    IMGP3492.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMGP3498.jpg
    IMGP3498.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMGP3499.jpg
    IMGP3499.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 213
thanks :D. it's amazing what some people think it is...all my FB friends are deadset it's a worm,others say it's a swamp snake. LOL
ZoomButt.gif

Looks very much like a blind snake (not dangerous). Hard to tell from the photos but check out google images to compare.

From the horrible photos you have uploaded its 50% likely to be a blind snake and 50% likely to be a earth worm lol

From the horrible photos you have uploaded its 50% likely to be a blind snake and 50% likely to be a earth worm lol

Oh good, so im not the only one to think that is does look very much like your standard worm! In the last lot of photos its head doesnt look so 'snake/lizard' like. Whatever it is though, as everyone else has said, i wouldnt be worried about it hurting your son at all.

i dont think its a worm as you can make out the eyes in the pics, and the head looks to pointy for me to be a blind snake, so im going with a leggless skink species, either lerista or anomalopus like i said before. try and get some more pics :)

Is its skin moist?
If yes then it is a worm

If no then:
Does it have actual eyes or just a black patch of smooth pgmented scales?
If actual eyes then it is some sort of lizard.

If a black patch of pigmented scales then it is a blind snake.

i know what a worm looks like,i wouldn't have bothered with all this for a worm.
ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

It is not a worm as it lacks a clitellum (saddle) not to mention the absence of segmentation. (Sorry Bel).
It is definitely harmless and your son is in no potential danger what-so-ever - bar swallowing it and chocking.

My guess is that it is a species of blind snake. You can confirm this by examining the specimen and seeing if the following features are present. If it has very small scalesthat are “joined” rather that overlapping, so that the surface is extremely smooth no matter which way you rub it. The eyes will be small black dots and the tail end often has a small terminal spine. These critters often give off an objectionable odour when you pick them up. No ear openings visible and no mouth opening visible.

If I had to take a guess at its identity, I would say Ramphotyphlops wiedii.

Blue

Is there a small hook on the tail?

Is it soft or hard (scales v worm skin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back