Spotted Python breeding issue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myusername

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have two female spotted pythons and a male. Over the winter I paired the male with both females. One female is relatively young (about 3 1/2 yrs) and a little over 3 ft in length and the other is easily 4ft and about 7-8 years old. I witnessed the male mating with the smaller female many, many times, but never witnessed this with the larger female. This is not to say it didn't happen, but generally when I put them together he showed no interest that I could see. Anyway, I had been keeping him with the larger female for about a week, during which time they were in separate hides etc and had very little to do with each other, so I decided to put the smaller female in with them just to see what would happen, sure enough within about 10 minutes he was mating with her again. Is there any particular reason he would be showing so much interest in one and not the other? Generally, I had heard the males will court the larger females before the smaller ones because of the chances of a bigger clutch.

And before you suggest that she isn't a female, she is, and she has bred a number of times before (though not for me personally). Is there any reason the male wouldn't be interested?

Any suggestions as to how I could get him to show interest in the big female next season would be greatly appreciated.

How does the weight compare with the females? possible the bigger one might not be in breeding condition.

The male is just over 3ft and 310g. Smaller female is just over 3ft and 380g, and the big female is easily 4ft and about 650g.

Normally the male wouldnt be interested in a bigger female.I have the opposite problem,my male is on the big side for a mac at over 700g 130cm,my female is 350g 100 cm,both over 6 yrs old.

Haha, well clearly we should swap. I was always under the impression that the male would go for the larger female.
Have you got any ideas in regards to getting the male interested? I thought about saving one of his shed skins and re-introducing it to the enclosure to try and kick-start his breeding instincts with the larger girl.

Rub the smaller girl all over the big girl and u might get some action,if not cant see why the males being picky as he should breed with both of them with no problems.i suspect ur big girl isn't sending off the right signals or something.

Yeah I figured as much. Would love to know exactly why she isn't putting out the right signals, or why he isn't getting them, so I can rectify the problem. Would he ever be put off by the size of the big female? I really don't know.

Was about to ask the same question. Although them not combatting or the larger 'female' not trying to mate with the smaller one would suggest it is a female.

Yeah as I said in the OP she's definitely not a male. I know the guy I got her off, and she's bred for him in the past and is definitely a female.
Thanks for the thoughts though guys, looks like I'll just have to try again next year, and maybe introduce my male to her first, or even get another male and supervise an introduction to kickstart a breeding response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back