Native plants for lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think it would worth while to compile a list of native plants with edible fruits or leaves or flowers? I have the resources and the basic knowledge to do it. It will entail a fair amount of effort so I really need to know if it is worth the effort. I can also include some suggested native landscaping plants for outdoor pits that look great and will take a heap of lizard traffic. What do people think?

Blue

no mistake about the strawberries blue, ive seen it myself on sites..............strawberries seeds removed its actually in the list i posted on the first page

i would be interested in native plants as most of that list i dont think are natives

lucky you miss2, it use to be the most popular feed for stock many years ago, as a child i seen it everywhere, then farmers started to get rid of it, classed it a nuisance that is now known for sweetening the meat up

did u get my PM blue?

Anyone know the actual reason for removing the strawberry seeds? My blueys love a few strawberries chopped through their dinner, never have i removed the seeds, didn't know it was recommended...

I have known a number of keepers who feed whole strawberries to their skinks - Bluetongues, Shingle Backs, Cunninghams and King Skinks wih no adverse effects. Given that Bluetongues and Shingle Backs are particularly partial to them and will gorge themslves if the opportunity avails itself, with no adverse effect other than maybe a somewhat runny poo, I do not believe that the seeds present any form of hazard. Perhaps they do in species I am unaware of but I must say at this point I am very dubious.

Blue

PS. Jeannine I did get your PM and they will go in tomorrow's mail.

I will concur Blue, my experience with feeding whole strawberries to Shinglebacks, Blotched and Eastern Bluetongues for many years now has shown no adverse ill affects. Certainly not used as a staple in my skinks diet, but fed at least once a fortnight during the warmer months.

Do you think it would worth while to compile a list of native plants with edible fruits or leaves or flowers? I have the resources and the basic knowledge to do it. It will entail a fair amount of effort so I really need to know if it is worth the effort. I can also include some suggested native landscaping plants for outdoor pits that look great and will take a heap of lizard traffic. What do people think?

Blue

I would very much appreciate that.

I will concur Blue, my experience with feeding whole strawberries to Shinglebacks, Blotched and Eastern Bluetongues for many years now has shown no adverse ill affects. Certainly not used as a staple in my skinks diet, but fed at least once a fortnight during the warmer months.

What do you use as a staple?

thanks blue will keep my eyes open and let u know when i got it, ill go now and read about how to propagate them so

i did wonder why seeds needed to be removed, i understand removing big ones, but little ones, strange so ill not bother anymore and will get a hanging basket and put some plants in

i havent tried 'cricket' on baby mice yet, not sure if she will eat them and then ill be stuck with frozen dead mice
:lol:

My beardie enjoys mondo grass,is that a native grass?real cheap to buy from any organic nursery,grows wild here in SA.Squish won't eat baby mice,won't go near them.

Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon japonica) originates from Japan and Korea. Apparently it has established in some parts of Australia as an exotic weed but is not considered invasive.

Blue

Hey Blue, it would be great to make a list of native plants if you want to :)

I can't seem to find anywhere else on the net with good info on the subject.

good old mondo grass... my blue's seem to eat it all the time... and there going strong... and it grows back quick.. dont know if its a native but..

offered my girl some strawberries this morning with her bok choy and she hoed into the strawberries like there was NO tomorrow , she loved them seeds and all :lol:

she didnt even bother to eat her bok choy and she loves that

Mondo grass is sold as an aquarium plant under another name so I'd say it's pretty safe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back