hi from southwest WA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

narfunkle

Reaction score
hi all stumbled across this site via google and thought id sign up and say hi and grab advice as i take the plunge into the world of reptiles

long time lover of lizards and snakes and had many encounters in the wild and living on a farm in lower WA

For years ive wanted a pet lizard and now ive decided to take the plunge

few weeks ago bought a vivarium at a garage sale for $30. Was told it was previously used for a stimpsons python till it got too large

so i thought after some reading id log in say hi and seek advice on raising a bearded dragon

doing all my homework and setup before i take the plunge

this is my enclosure i have and will post a advice post on how to setup and test correctly for globes and temps plus materials shortly. btw globe was just a regular to test the thermostat as i had no idea how it worked at first when i got it all home

cant wait to settle in and get some advice

Attachments

• reptile enclosure.jpg
    reptile enclosure.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 59
Hi,
welcome to the site, Im only new here myself, I cant help any on lizards, Im just getting back into snakes after 5 years and still am a newbie with them but you will get plenty of help and advice on here. There are a few who like to have fun at others expense but you get used to them. You got a bargain with the vivarium, Im hunting for some more here but most secondhand ones here are around $300.
cheers Deb

Great to have another West Aussie on the forum. :) Can never have too many.
I have no experience with dragons. I will say that a digital thermometer to keep an eye on temps is a must. $12 in the gardening section at bunnings for in indoor outdoor thermometer. You can hang it inside the enclosure at the cool side and use the outdoor probe to measure the basking spot under the lamp.
It's fantastic to see you researching and getting the setup right before you get your dragon. Best of luck and remember it never stops at one animal when it comes to reptiles :)

Yay another wa person is on the forum here is some shop I will name for you in Perth that have reptiles

Reptile trader (rockingham)
Pet magic (cannington)
West Aussie reptiles (two rocks or something like that)

But yeh if you look them up they all have websites too also at west Aussie reptiles they have some bred in captivity bearded dragons available at 250

ah thanks heaps. ive been googling with out much success to guage prices ect. did want a stimpsons python but atm swmbo has said no

cheers heaps for the heads up. once im all setup and im happy with the vivarium ill proceed with a reptile

no worries man just trying to help also all those shops can help you with setting up your new enclosure they have hides cleaning equipment different enclosures and ken from reptile traders is a very nice guy helped me out alot

Hey, all us WA folk are coming out of the woodwork...LOL. I always call.... STIMSONS....Stimmies..LOL. Everyone knows what you mean...those cute little snakes that don't grow big enough to strangle ya !! :) I have a 3 yr old one, Barrie, he's gorgeous. Got him from the Armadale Reptile Centre 2 yrs ago....placid as.

Cheers, Annie. (oh and my PROPER name is Anne, but I'm happy to be called Annie. LOL )

A bearded dragon is a great choice for a starting pet. Great deal you got on the enclosure! What are its dimensions? Bearded dragons are really quite easy to care for. You will set up a thermal gradient for them. You want a rock under your heat lamp that sits at around 30-35°c. In an enclosure that size you probably won't need any other heating as the cool side will sit around 25-28°c. I run mine on a day night cycle that basically mimics how much day vs night I'm seeing at the time of year. If you find that over night your temps are dropping too low then a small heat cord, 15w or so, situated around the hide will make a great spot for your dragon to sleep. Food is quiet easy, I've had success with crickets, woodies and meal worms, also carrot, corn, bok choy and flowers. Also parsley seems to be a good little treat. Just remember to feed them at a time of day that allows them to go lay on a warm rock for a while after as this helps with digestion

They like to have a shallow dish of clean water available for the occasional bath but water seems to excite their bowel movements so it will need to be replaced often. I haven't caught mine drinking from it yet as they seem to get most of their moisture from what they eat. The best idea is to look into their natural environment and mimic that. I feed at all different random times because they would just eat when they found something in the wild. They love to come out of the enclosure and have a run around. You will often see mine prowling the lounge room or my bed. Sometimes I play little games with them and spread their food in little bits around the loungeroom and make them go find it. They also seem to love a little scratch on the side ridge of 'spikes' which are actually nice and soft haha. They are all bark and no bite

Hope that helps, that's everything that comes to mind right now. Anything else, feel free to contact me :D

Last edited:
cheers guys and galls. sorry on the spelling :oops: of the stimsons. ill measure the enclosure soon

they wanted $50 originally which i thought was a bargain but had to have a go at haggling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back