Are some exotic keepers in Australia that stupid?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhomany

Not so new Member
Reaction score
For Sale - Ball/Royal Pythons

Anyone that lives in Australia and owns and breeds reptiles knows exotics are illegal. Putting an advertisment on petpages is like an open invitation for these people to be charged and their animals destroyed.
:/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes to the thread question, although I suspect that some of these ads are traps to catch even dumber would be exotic keepers.

.. ^^ what she said.

So obviously nothing to do with illegal exotics. Its almost always Ball pythons as they have a known high value... the person spamming the advert wouldnt even know Australian regulations.

Probably just your typical friendly Nigerian 'salesman'. Nothing to worry about :D!

Equally as dumb is the ad selling animals or swap (off licence) Doh! can't put link as that's a no no too - same site though

Probably a fake ad, or as someone else said, to catch exotic dealers.
Or the seller is genuine but really is that dumb

scam to rip you off I reckon.. who are you going to complain to??

"excuse me DECC and police I was trying to buy ILLEGAL reptiles and was ripped off!! Can you help me pleeeease?"

Funny that after all this time, people still stomp around frowning shaking their fist at ''Exotic sellers'' advertisements not realising a scam when they see it.... I bet the same outraged people are mad to a point at no return about adds for capuchin monkeys....

Well, these exotics breeders are not that dumb. They know they get away with breeding them and have no trouble selling them. When and IF they get caught, nothing much happens. So why wouldn't they keep making a fortune selling/breeding them? And as Colin says, if it is a scam and you get ripped off, who are you going to complain to?

I don't look down at exotic owners and breeders. I believe as long as they keep their pets away from our exo systems and out of trouble there isn't a problem. Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it's horrible. I care a great deal about Australian fauna and wouldn't want anything else to get messed up because of introduced species.
I thought it might be a trap too, makes sense because they didn't leave a number and someone that owns that many exotic snakes would have had to get them in a pretty secretive way knowing full well that they're illegal. People advertise corns and things often too so I wanted some more opinions. :)

I wish I had contacts to the illegal reptile world. It would have been much easier than the stupid laws/restrictions that WA has and the thugish mentality of DEC inspections we are subjected to. If I had a diamond python in WA I'd never get inspected at 6am... I wouldn't let on about it so they would never be tipped off... ironic isn't it!

You will find multiple adds the same posted on various sites around australia they are most likely scams.A lot of newbies do not know we cant legaly keep exotics I didnt when I was getting Into keeping reptiles but I know someone who owns a corn snake and so there are exotics here and no doubt some people do breed and sell them not me though all mine are 100% native:)

Cats, rabbits, dogs, mice, rats, Guinea Pigs, all livestock along with many species of birds and fish are all exotic and freely traded without restrictions. Why do reptile keepers get singled out for special treatment? Is it because reptiles aren't considered "mainstream" and because they don't have an organised national lobby group to represent their interests? Even native species are subjected to ridiculous rules and regulations.

Cats, rabbits, dogs, mice, rats, Guinea Pigs, all livestock along with many species of birds and fish are all exotic and freely traded without restrictions. Why do reptile keepers get singled out for special treatment? Is it because reptiles aren't considered "mainstream" and because they don't have an organised national lobby group to represent their interests? Even native species are subjected to ridiculous rules and regulations.

Think toads. They ruined it for us all lol

LOL, yeah stupid toads, it's all their fault.

i'v even seen small monkeys for sale on there lol and its the same ad in different cities definatly gotta be fake hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back