Moving to Sydney, advice?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

euphorion

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on moving to Sydney soonish and really have no idea where to look for a place to rent. My brother who is down there has lived in Newtown which i have experienced and now Leichardt but that's as far as my Sydney inner-suburb knowledge goes.

What suburbs do you guys recommend? I want somewhere with a few parks or dog park as my dog and her happiness is very important to me, besides i like open green space. I don't really want to live in an apartment for that same reason. I would prefer somewhere not so close to the city centre either, between half hour and an hour's drive away. So, Sydneysiders, what suburbs do you think are the better places to look?

Depends on how much you want to spend on rent, keep in mind that Sydney rentals are much more expensive than Brisbane. Personally, I think the best value for money is in the Sutherland Shire it has everything you want, is close to beaches etc. The same thing on the Northern beaches will cost you significantly more.

As rondo said Sydney is a expensive place to live. It will depend if you want to live near the cost or inland.

From friends who rent. Most rentals have about 50 people turn up at any open day.

In Sydney a half hour/hour drive is a 5 minute walk....

the further west you go the cheaper it is and the more space you have. why in the hell would you wanna leave QLD to come to sydney??? :) i came down for 6 months 10 years ago and I havent made it back up to qld. Hubby is a sydneysider who hates qld, so it looks like I am stuck here forever now. lol

There are some nice areas out west but it would add to your travel time. Leonay (where I live) is good about 1hr by car or train to the city (depends on time if day upto 2hrs lol)

Depends on where you will be working and what you can afford to pay really. Shire, you will be car dependent but coming from Brisbane that should not be a problem. Inner West has lots of dog friendly parks and good public transport. Easy access to beaches, parks, entertainment, eating out and civilization. Takes an hour to get top the upper North Shore so not good for going to the Central Coast but Sunday AM I can get to Campbelltown in 25 minutes and Wollongong in an hour.

If you want Close-ish but not too close, check out anywhere west from Haberfield :) Haberfield is super $$$ but Ashfield, Burwood, Croyden and Strathfield are cheaper.

I'm from Sydney and all I can say is you'd better have a really good job if you want to live any where up to an hour from the city. Was thinking of moving back before we came to Melbourne and the rents were ridiculously high. Having said that I agree that around Ashfield is nice if you want to live close, I used to live in Haberfield but as stated, it is pretty expensive, especially if you want a house. You could also try around West Ryde, Ryde or the Hills area, Castle Hill, Epping, Eastwood etc.

really depends where you are working. i am out penrith way and has pretty much everything you need. there are some nice areas out this way, but it can be difficult, like every where else, to get a property due to the numbers of people who are looking. out this way there are plenty of parks and what not to let doggies run around. like abnrmal says it can take about an hour to get into the city, thats either via car or train. best of luck!

maybe it's better to find the places to avoid? I just googled "bogan suburbs of sydney" :lol:

Which suburbs in Sydney do bogans live in/come from? - Yahoo! Answers

Which is Sydney's most bogan suburb?

Essential Baby > Australia's most BOGAN suburbs!

abc3863a275890d714ceb8ca04775cef.jpg

My advice is - DON"T DO IT.

But I'm really biassed against all things Sydney - hate the traffic, hate the crowds, hate the crazy road organisation (if you can call it that), hate the going there - I avoid going to Sydney or travelling through Sydney or it's suburban sprawl at all costs, hate the house prices there, and I would never unless I NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER ever LIVE THERE or buy a home there or rent there.

The place is a dump.

Find somewhere to live in the Central Coast (Gosford / Wyong) area and commute by train if YOU MUST work or study in Sydney.
Stacks on green bushy areas and reserves and NPs and lakeside parks and walks there , much better for your dog, and more chance of encountering lots if lizards, snakes, insects, spiders, frogs too when out and about, as well as native birds.

Last edited:
If you want to be within an hour of the CBD and not live in an apartment you're looking at serious $$$. I'm moving up to the central coast at the end of this year because i'm just over how expensive it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back