I'm new, got some Q's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ky306

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm new here. Don't own a snake, but I'm planning on it! Trying to do as much research and save up for a proper enclosure first.
I'm very interested in owning a Jungle Carpet python. Having never owned a snake before (had previous experience with reptiles such as turtles and large lizards, but nothing like a snake) I'm going to have a lot of questions.

For one thing, would a jungle python be okay for a first snake? I really don't like the look of snakes I've seen most people recommend such as a ball python but I love the look of a Jungle python!
As a rough average, for people with experience with such snakes, what is their usual temperament?
One that is calm and quiet, just happy to sit on you for ages..not very aggressive or nippy (though in theory, I probably can cope with bites from a hatchling or juvie...)..that would be perfect. I have researched other species such as Diamond Pythons, but I just love the Jungles!

Any advice regarding species, size of enclosure, etc is greatly appreciated!! Thank you.:D

Alright. What would be a good python that is known for being quiet? I'm not particularly interested in Children's pythons..I just saw a jungle python and fell in love *laugh*. But I'm open to whatever type would be the best for a first-time pet.

go with what you fancy but as said jungles have a tendency to be more aggressive but if thats what you want then get it, you might be lucky and get a good tempered one.

Jungles aren't bad snakes for beginners, but you do need to understand that most can be flighty/bitey/fussy eaters. With persistence you can turn them into a great pet, but it requires being able to toughen up and understand that snakes bite.

I got 2 jungles as my first snakes and I think they are great! They were bitey as hatchies/juvies but have both calmed down perfectly with regular handling. Yes they can be fussy eaters so just got them on too rats asap and they've been fine, infact eating like pigs at the moment with the weather warming up. I cannot recommend Jungles more highly they are undoubtably one of the most beautiful snakes in the world :)

Awesome. :D I've seen a lot of people handling their snakes, keeping them near them around the house or letting them outside supervised. I would have thought they'd try to escape? Is it safe to do this once the snake is older and used to being near you?Also, I have a dog and 2 cats. I'm assuming the snake will be afraid of them, will this cause problems? (The other animals can be kept away from the enclosure however)

When young I kept handling sessions short 5-10 mins and just inside. As they grow older and more confident increased handling sessions longer. Didn't let them play out on the grass till they were handling well and calm and bigger too, as to look like snakes rather than worms to the f..ing magpies. I don't let the dogs near them yet though. But all this would be personal opinion I guess.

As a owner of a few jungle's I'd like to disagree with the majority of people & say you're confidence/ how you react to picking up a snake / handling reflects on the attitude they show towards you, If you proceed with too much caution it will sometime's make the snake feel a bit nervous & consequently give you love bite on the contrary you try to be to aggressive/ force the snake it obviously won't take to kindly to that either.

also come's down to how often you handle them (Remember there is such thing as too often) & it's personality.

Thank you all! I'll continue to browse these forums and research before I finally buy the snake, whatever species it turns out to be. :)

For enclosures Id make sure you talk to someone like Stein Enclosures on here.I am very new to this hobby my self but I had got an enclosure from my local pet shop. I am having problems making sure it keeps temps and I have found it is 2 big for her at this stage so I will be making a click clack till she gets bigger (check out the DIY section on here on how to make a click clack!) Now I payed good money for this enclosure only only to find out the hard way Im going to have to put a lot more $$ in to make it better. Stein enclosures come with everything you need and I here they are AMAZING (im saving so I may get one!) Thats not to say others are not ok but I would talk to ppl on here before you get one and learn from my mistake!! hahaha! All so read as much as you can and join a reptile club in your area. That way you can seek advice from ppl who are already in the hobby and make some amazing friends!!! Good luck and let us know what you decide to get!! make sure you put pics up!!!

Verity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back