WARNING For People Lending Snakes As Breeding Loans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im so sorry to here this and im sorry you are going through this... I told my BF this story and we were both so shocked. Some times family can be so disrespectful to the ones they are closest 2. A very good friend said to me when i was younger " family or not respect, love and trust are all earned. You do not have to like or love them no matter if they are your mother, father, brother or sister. This is something that must grow as you do or never at all. It is not a given." Now I follow this because its what I feel. others may not agree and thats fine. I hope to here that you get your animals returned safely.

thank god for facebook... no name & shame rules there... sorry to here your son has done this guys.. hope you get them back in the same condition but with illegal wild court snakes there i dont think id want em back either..

Let me offer my comiserations, and your warning has definitely been taken on board. I am very, very sorry for your loss, I understand what it's like to be hurt by a family member.
From what I understand it sounds like this woman is being very spiteful, and I know what a disappointment it would be if one of my children turned around and did something like this. I'd feel like all those years of love, sacrifice and care would have been wasted, and that's no small thing.
The fact remains, however, that you loaned the snakes to your son. There is no grey area, and all the beaurecratic bs they spout makes no difference. Your son was the lessee, not this woman, it doesn't matter what address he is living at or has on his license, regulation dictates that upon changing his address he must do so for his license. Marital property laws are tricky, depending on the time they have been together, but if she has no interest in the animals and no ability to care for them properly she cannot keep them. A licensed keeper can have their animals removed for negligence, a licensed keeper can be done for wild-caught reptiles, and whether or not you loaned them to her of your free will a loan is a loan, and a verbal agreement is just that, and most likely is recorded as well. So theft is theft.
Your local authorities are being lazy and negligent, there is no such thing as 'civil service' these days, and that's what is depressing me about this.
I can't offer you advice, you're already doing all you can, but I can add my support, as small a thing as it is. I can tell you I know how you feel, and I can tell you that your warning has been taken on board. So you've made a difference here, I just hope things work out for you in the best possible way.
Good luck.

So very sorry to hear this. When i read that he is your son i was horrified.

Knowing that he is absolutely following this thread like a hawk;

Shame on you boy, know that we all know who you are now and are disgusted with what you have done. You have one opportunity to redeem yourself and that is to return the animals that are not yours and be suitably repentant. Failure to do this will, as you are hopefully not too stupid to realise, result in complete ostracision from this hobby and all who hold it dear.

PM'ing you guys leanne and wayne.

Do we know why the current occupant of the house won't allow leanne and wayne access to retrieve the animals. Surely if they arrive at the house with cops in tow, and the occupants have no interest in the animals, they will just let them in to ge them rather than get involved with the police?

That's a horrible thing for a son to do to his parents. I hate people like that, they never appreciate what you both have done for them. Hopefully you can sort it out and get your snakes back. I fell so sorry for you both to be taken advantage of my your son.

Wow that's absolutely awful!! A similar thing happened to me where I paid for a snake and then was waiting for it to be shipped... and then snake never showed up. seller starting making excuses about not being able to ship it, then said he couldn't return the money for awhile as he had already spent it, and then avoided me.
Fortunately my dad, who used to be a private investigator, happened to live in the same town as this jerk, tracked him down, knocked on his door and demanded the money. The threat of showing up at his work and talking to his boss about the theft also helped. No one likes a scene made at their work infront of their co-workers and boss!

Just gonna put this out there.

Maybe just slow down a little? Let your son and his ex have a little cooling time and sort some stuff out, then try again.

Is a bunch of snakes really worth a family feud?

Gordo stealing someones snakes will definitely create a family fued.

Just gonna put this out there.

Maybe just slow down a little? Let your son and his ex have a little cooling time and sort some stuff out, then try again.

Is a bunch of snakes really worth a family feud?

I see where you're coming from, and for my part I'd take that philosophical stance myself, but it doesn't erase the hurt. I've been screwed by family before, very close family, someone who I would gladly give my life for and it was for a stupid reason; an abusive partner. But I put myself in her position and let it go, I also took the wrap for the wrongdoing and I'm reminded of it every few months, somehow it's still my fault and she's never admitted to her side of it or her (now) ex's side.
Net result I've lost things that were very dear to me and to the rest of my family, and I'll take that for her, but every time I'm taken to account for something that wasn't my wrongdoing it hurts like it happened yesterday. I hate to see other people going through the same thing, and at least the things I lost weren't breathing, they were heirlooms.
This woman has no right to extend what should be private pain. She is being spiteful and unreasonable. She may be hurt and angry but that doesn't justify her actions.
That said, understanding doesn't help. Words don't help. I just hope that after all is said and done everything works out the way it should.

Gordo stealing someones snakes will definitely create a family fued.

While this pot set tub of yoghurt is thickening i'll ad my other 2cents.

This doesn't sound like normal theft to me. Sounds more like the ex is so pissed off at the son involved that he/she is doing anything they can to dig back at them. Hence keeping the snakes. So is it really the son stealing or is it just him being inactive? And threatening a family member with legal action, no matter who is in the right, is only gonna pis them off. Especially if they're going through a difficult breakup.

One of the two people involved are needed if a resolution in favor of getting the snakes back is going to be reached.

Maybe you've already done this but just wait it out until the two of them have sorted themselves out. What's more impoortant, your sons well being or a few snakes?

Not a lawyer but - If it was an agreement between the parties that the animals were given on a loan it is a civil agreement. If the animals are not returned it is a breach of the civil agreement. If the ownership or title has not been transferred an order could be sought via civil action in the courts if necessary to get the animals back.

For NSW (don't know if there is similar in other states) -

If the problem is that the son can't go back to the house to retrieve property due to AVO restrictions the son or his legal representative can apply to the court for a Property Recovery Order.
If the order is granted by a magistrate it will give the son a specified time where he will be able to access the premises to remove specific property (without breaching the AVO).

In either instance legal advice/assistance should be sought.

Cheers
Octane

Well, family at times can suck big time. Family should never do yucky things to each other, but they do. Sometimes family would never be people that you would pick for friends. Sadly, you do not have much choice in picking family members.

Aww thats so sad! :( All my advice would basically be what has already been mentioned, but me personally id be inviting myself over, then saying i forgive them, after talking a while ask for a glass of water then id just go and take back what is rightfully mine. Like someone mentioned before id have a leatherman with me and also maybe a few big mates. Let them swear and curse at you but at the end of the day id just be happy i have back my pets :)

Good luck to yous both, i hope yous get back what is rightfully yours!

Thanks for the support again guys.

Gordo, the longer we wait the more chance of these innocent animals being let loose into the wild were they will die anyway (as her thinking would be to get rid of the evidence and she can't be held responsible). Or even worse... they are dying a slow death of dehydration as they have not had fresh water for over a month now. Either way the more seconds that tick by the more likely hood of never seeing them again.

But Leanne and I have had some break through this afternoon... the queensland police have stepped in and taken on the responsibility of getting our animals back. And here is me never having trust in the blue boys (I can't thank them enough, they have been great). They have even contacted nsw police and nsw parks and expressed their disgust in not doing what should of been done weeks ago, and that is getting back what is rightfully ours.

Will update again if we get another break through, although we now have to arrange something for these animals to keep them well away from my own collection for at least the next 12 to 18 months (still should never of come too this).

Thanks again everyone, both Leanne and I are really overwhelmed with how much support and advise we have received from all our herping commrades on APS and even outside of APS. It's good to know we have true friends and back-up if our reptiles need it.

really happy to hear that!

i just hope theyre still in reasonably good condition and at least still had heating.

Glad to hear that they are finally going to do something. Hopefully they are still same and well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back