New Amyae's - M & F?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanm

Reaction score
Picked up these two Amyae over the weekend, grabbed some pictures as I transferred them into their new homes. They are hatchlings from last year but about 6 months difference in age between them, same father, different mothers. Would anyone care to comment on what sex they think they might be?

Amyae 1 - Great colour and he (pretty sure its a he) is massive! Apparently he came from a single egg clutch where his egg was almost twice the size of the mothers other clutches and has been a giant ever since. Hopefully lots more growing to do yet!

DSC_0489.jpgDSC_0491.jpgDSC_0494.jpgDSC_0493.jpgDSC_0492.jpg

Amyae 2 - Lighter colour, gets a lot more pale at night.

DSC_0496.jpgDSC_0495.jpgDSC_0487.jpgDSC_0485.jpgDSC_0486.jpgDSC_0498.jpg

Thrilled with them!

Nice gex mate but it looks like you might have two males there

Cheers Brenton

I'm not really great at sexing these little guys myself, but I would have to guess two boys aswell!!!

They are very noice Amyae, Unfortunately Im with the others from my limited knowledge the bulge does look to be to big for a female. But hopefully im wrong :/ (don't hear that everyday ey)

Thanks Guys, I'm leaning towards both males as well, but the optimist inside me is just wanting the second one to be a female! Oh well, just means I will have to find them a partner (or two) sometime down the track :)

Wow - very handsome geckos. Great details on the up close photos of their faces.

Their colouration is just stunning.

Are they babies ?

What lens did you used to get such great closeups / macros ?

Wow - very handsome geckos. Great details on the up close photos of their faces.

Their colouration is just stunning.

Are they babies ?

What lens did you used to get such great closeups / macros ?

Thanks Ian. One is probably a bit over a year old, the other 6-8months.

Photos are taken with a Nikon D90 with the kit 18-55mm lens.

oh wow! Iv heard about these before and i was trying to find a good pic (urs are g8 by the way!) so I could see what they looked like! And all the hype about them is well deserved!!! Such amazing looking little guys!!!

Hey Ryan,
Congrats on your new geckos. They look fanstastic - great colours and healthy specimens. Amyae are more difficult to accurately determine sex at a young age as compared to smooth knobbies. However, based on your photos I would agree with what others have suggeted - 2x males. It a good excuse to get more :)

well 1 is defeintely a male
and 2 well ima be hopeful for you and say its posbile its a female

all in all abosloutely stunning geckos mate

Thanks everyone, they are fantastic little guys. Pending confirming their sexes when they mature, they have been named Andre (the Giant) and Dexter.

They seem to have settled in nicely, great fun watching them hunt down the crickets and they are quite active at night which is fun to watch. They don't seem to mind being handled, usually quite happy to sit on my hand or arm.

Just a couple of update shots. Same exposure and lighting for both, so you can really see the differences in their colours.

Andre showing me how tall he is:

DSC_0502.jpg

And a couple of Dexter showing off his light side ;)

DSC_0499.jpgDSC_0501.jpg

So happy with these guys :)

The person that sold them to you should of told you they were both males.

The person who sold them to me did, he suggested the first was a male, and the second was looking that way, but he wasn't 100%. I didn't buy them as a sexed pair. Whatever way they turn out is fine.

Just a couple of update shots. Same exposure and lighting for both, so you can really see the differences in their colours.

Hey Ryan, they're looking good. Great colours - the colour range in this species is amazing, and you have got yourself a couple of crackers there!

Definitely both males, no two ways about it.

Gorgeous little critters, I really miss amyae! I sold my whole colony on a few years ago now. Lovely pics like this make me want them again - they are rocks with attitude LOL!

Gorgeous little critters, I really miss amyae! I sold my whole colony on a few years ago now. Lovely pics like this make me want them again - they are rocks with attitude LOL!

Rocks with lots of attitude! They aren't afraid to let me know they aren't happy my hand is in their enclosure :p But having said they, they are pretty relaxed when sitting on my hand.

Last edited:
The push-ups absolutely cracked me up - probably not the reaction they hope for :p Hope you manage to find some girlfriends for them eventually, not a bad thing having two males anyway as its always good to have a backup just in case one isn't getting the job done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back