Council just came to take my dog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I surrendered my dog because a) they have other dogs meaning it could happen again, b) Victorias new dogs laws mean if I am charged I can be jailed for it. It was by no means an easy decision to make and I still don't know if I did the right thing but it is done and I have to live with it. Pleus when the council came he said my dog looked like it had pitbull in it which means if they want to persue that and make an exapmle of the first person charged since the new laws I don't have much hope of either keeping the dog or not getting jail time.

Sorry to hear, your a very strong person making the deccision yo did. May peace be with your dog and your neighbours.

I surrendered my dog because a) they have other dogs meaning it could happen again, b) Victorias new dogs laws mean if I am charged I can be jailed for it. It was by no means an easy decision to make and I still don't know if I did the right thing but it is done and I have to live with it. Pleus when the council came he said my dog looked like it had pitbull in it which means if they want to persue that and make an exapmle of the first person charged since the new laws I don't have much hope of either keeping the dog or not getting jail time.

Fair enough. and im sorry you had to

When i was living with my parents we had a Doberman, she was soo beautiful and i loved her so much..
She barked alot at night, and sometimes during the day..and neighbours complained.
I had left home, and my parents were made to surrender her to council..or find another home. I had no idea about it..and didnt find out until weeks later and i was devastated. I could have stopped it..but they didnt tell me,
Your sitch is different, because your dog killed another.. but still, i feel your pain and im sorry.

I really feel for you, what an absolutely dreadful thing to happen. I can imagine how devastated you must feel.
You really are between a rock and a hard place, and I think in many many ways its admirable how you've dealt with it under the circumstances.
Like many others here that will read your thread, I truly wish there was something I could do to help. All I can really do is offer a suggestion to other folks - Please think before you go typing anything hyper critical on this thread. Walk a mile in her shoes.

In another similar story (wife just rang me) our neighbors dog just killed our Siamese cat.

Looking forward to going home and dealing with the fallout from this........

He's always been an inside cat but he gets 5 min to wonder the yard when she hangs out the washing.

Yep kids where mighty attached to him. Not good at all to every lose a pet no matter what it is.

In another similar story (wife just rang me) our neighbors dog just killed our Siamese cat.

Looking forward to going home and dealing with the fallout from this........

He's always been an inside cat but he gets 5 min to wonder the yard when she hangs out the washing.
So sorry, so devastating, I am dreading telling my neighbours, I know how much they love their dogs.

so sad,...what a terrible thing to have happened. :(

Bureaucracy is always a sticky situation when it comes to neighbors and dogs. If your dog breaks through the fence and kills another the council will take it very rapidly.

Though if your neighbors dogs are constantly troubling action may not even be taken. Especially if you live in the hawkesbury and have to deal with lazy ***, middle aged, simpleton morons from the animal shelter.

Sad times for all involved. I think you have now done the right thing. If this was a recuring problem it could have been prevented by ensuring the fence was better to start with but you cant turn back time. Im glad it was just the neighbours dog though, if it was their kids it would have been a very sad issue indeed.

If its just recently happened and the neighbours are not home yet, how did the council get involved so quick? did you call them?

Sad times for all involved. I think you have now done the right thing. If this was a recuring problem it could have been prevented by ensuring the fence was better to start with but you cant turn back time. Im glad it was just the neighbours dog though, if it was their kids it would have been a very sad issue indeed.
The fence was almost new, and it would not have happened with kids, he is a useless guard dog, people can just walk into the back yard and he'll lick them. It was definitely tricky as the actual death occurred on our property so whether or not my dog was in the wrong is open to question as we don't know which one broke the fence or whether the dog entered our property or was pulled onto our property. Also, there kids, they don't have any by the way, would not have been yapping and growling constantly through the fence so that is a completely different and hypothetical situation.

If its just recently happened and the neighbours are not home yet, how did the council get involved so quick? did you call them?
Yes I called them, I don't know if that was the right thing to do or not now. I am so conflicted by the whole thing. I have rung the ranger back to see if I can pursue option b instead. I know my dog is still alive as he has not returned to the shelter yet so we will have to see what happens.

I know when I was a kid I did all kinds of stupid things and it is completely feasible that a 5 or 6 year old would yell and throw things at a neighbours dog to rile it up. But yes a hypothetical which fortunately will not happen now.

I feel so so bad for you right now but i think you made the right choice. I have a largish staffy x ridgeback whom i adore so so much, but if she was to ever turn on someone or kill another animal, as hard as it would be and it would tear me up i would have the same thing done. Sounds like your day will get worse before it gets better but it will get better and if you had taken the court option this issue would be in your life everyday for some time and still the same possible out come.
Remember you have umpdinks of support here :) goodluck and all the best.

Sorry to hear of this heartache.
Please try and stay positive and we are all here if you need support

They have a little kid on the other side and she constantly called him and he ignored her. He had no problem with children or adults, just dogs. Anyway, the ranger just came back and said that because of the state I was in when I rang and the fact that the neighbours have not been notified yet, he has a repreive until Monday morning. Then it is either put down, go to court and have him declared dangerous depending on the neighbours or release back to me.

Thanks for the support everyone, I really need it. Funny thing is, I think the neighbours are away and who ever is looking after there dogs brings their dog with them which is the dog that started all the barking and growling at the fence in the first place. Those dogs are usually inside dogs and only out with supervision and the neighbour has met my dog and talks to him over the fence. I think he is going to be pretty angry his dogs were left to go crazy and do what they wanted which led to this tragedy.

Last edited:
Oh Crap :( So sorry to hear darl. Hope things get easier soon for you. I have had to put a family member down and re home another before, (dog btw) the hardest thing I have done so feel you pain and here if you need.

I would fight it as hard as I can, even if he is declared a dangerous dog - at least you will still have him with you. It would just mean you need to errect a more sturdy fence, have signs displayed and muzzle him in public if I believe?

It sounds like a terrible, unfortunate situation for both parties, I hope it works out ok. But it does sound like he was provoked more than usual with the new dog that was starting trouble, and it's not as if he has something against kids or people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back