Council just came to take my dog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you and your best friend might hopefully be in the clear.

When you say "metal fence" what are you referring to?, a colorbond fence or some crazy solid metal contraption?. I dont know, I'd honestly believe a fresh timber pailing fence would be stronger than colorbond. If I was forced to run and throw myself at one or the other, I think I'd chose colorbond!. And regarding the timber fence pailings, bunnings sell these for bugger all, the missus and I replaced all the rotten, flimsy ones on our fence when we moved into the house we bought last year. Turned out just like new.

Our neighbor has a JR, we have a JR x pug, a tenterfield terrior and got a mini foxie recently. The dogs used to bark and growl at each other through the rotten fence but with fresh pailings there's no gaps and a solid structure that the dogs can't see each other through. Still the odd "bark-off" or growl but nothing like it was when half the pailings were rotten and the fence had little gaps all over it.
Like I said, bunnings sell replacement pailings cheap and they are simple to replace especially if you can get hold of a nail gun.

We had fresh palings with no gaps, it was more a case of once the random dog got into there yard and started the "game" it didn't matter that they couldn't see each other. I was talking about the stuff they use for dangerous dog yards but used as a fence as well as the palings so there is essentially a double barrier and then something like cement sleepers to stop digging under, my dog has never dug under anything but better safe than sorry. And he didn't throw himself at the fence, it was just one paling that snapped down the bottom but a big enough hole for their dog.

I am glad your neighbours are reasonable people, it could have so gone the other way. It is awesome it turned out ok in the end.
I would still contemplate complaining to your council about your dealings with them in regards to this, it sounds like you were treated very poorly in a very stressful situation.

He was fully playing the "I love dogs" act as well, he then proceeded to ask if I wanted to report my neighbours for their dogs barking, I couldn't believe it. I told him, my dog just killed their dog, I don't want to report them for anything. He told me I was very brave and made the right decision, I then changed my mind and when he came back out he tried to insinuate my dog had acted viciously when he dragged it half choking into the crate. My dog was getting patted by him and wagging his tail until we tried to put him in the crate, he then used the stick and my dog freaked, but not growling still, he was choking and once in the crate he was just sad and bewildered. But despite his bad attittude at the time still gave him a reprieve until Monday morning.

I hate their style but "Today Tonight" love this kind of story.

Anyways, formal complaint to Council in the least as it might stop the same thing happening to someone else in the future. People like that should not have positions like that as well. Absolute bastard!

Depends how much you love your dog..
I wouldnt care about charges
That's a really mean thing to say. Sometimes it depends on how responsible you are, and kaotikjetza was obviously responsible enough to realize that her dog was a dangerous dog, no matter how much she loved him, and therefore needed to be able to let go of him. It is a considerate thing to do, and you have to be very strong to do it.
It does not depend how much you love your dog.

Anyway, Kaotikjetza, I wish you luck with your dog, you have certainly done the right thing. I know I would never have the strength to call the council and give up my dog. You are certainly brave. Good luck :)

Last edited:
If you decide/have to go to court to fight for your dog, why not see if APS members would donate a few bucks for the court fees. I'd throw in a few bucks if it means a dog could be saved.
Thanks, thats so wonderful, I never read it before.

I'd just like to say thank you to all of you that have supported me through this so far. If it wasn't for APS members I would not have changed my mind and my dog would be dead. It means a lot that people who are for the most part strangers can care so much about people and animals they don't know. I have had a gut wrenching day and I don't think I would have gotten through it nearly as well without people to talk to about it.

Last edited:
I'm so glad this has been resolved! I've been on the edge of my seat all night! That's awesome news :)

Hmmm... you had a late night KJ! The situation is looking better today it seems, so I hope common sense prevails and a reasonable outcome can be salvaged from the events of yesterday. I'm very glad that you decided on positive action - I'd be making sure as early as possible today that your dog is OK - that no 'bureaucratic mixup' leads to the 'accidental' destruction of your dog. Are your neighbours going to be proactive with the council today, given it's Friday and you only have the weekend until Monday?

Definitely DO NOT do anything which may be seen to be critical of the ranger until you have your dog back with you - it will only complicate what is already a very emotional issue, and you don't want to antagonise him.

Please get an assurance from the pound that your dog is OK (go and see him for yourself if you can), and go from there.

Jamie

sounding very promising,...like Jamie said, get right onto them first thing this morning so theres no 'accidents'.

so glad ur neighbours are reasonable people!

and i'll be sooo super happy once u have ur dog back at home!!
(dont forget pics of the reunion!!) :p

defs go down to the pound today to give him some treats and perhaps a blanket from home with the smell of yourself on it so he has something to help keep him calm and as happy as possible in thats crappy place. PLus to make sure he is ok, i have seen the extent of the scum like behaviour that our local rangers like to conduct, dogs "accidently" running into a fence when scared, or those "savage monsters" that they wrestle with untill the dog frets and wants to get away from the moron trying to dominate him. I am almost certain that one of the job needs to be a ranger is a small penis and a massive ego.

Just rang the lost dogs home (fancy name for pound) and they said they put him in a quieter area. They said he was fine, just a bit quiet and bewildered. We decided it is not a good idea to go see him as I will have to leave him there and it will just distress him more. He has shown absolutely no aggression to the staff or anything else so that is great.

That's super good news, i'm so happy for you. It broke my heart reading this story for the first time yesterday, so i'm glad it's turning out on a better note. It's so sad that the other dog was killed, but accidents happen and there is no use for two dogs dying over this unfortunate incident. =(

Just found out it is going to cost around $400 to have him released, not quite sure how I am going to get that together yet but I will find a way and I have to somehow get home home from Cranbourne to Frankston with no car. Grrr. The weekend is going to suck, I wont be happy until I have him home and safe.

SCAMMERS!!!!

but at least u get him back,...

im happy to donate $20,...send me ur acc deets. :p

I've been following this thread with interest. I'm very happy the outcome has been positive after all the anguish. I'm with Chris1..... I'm happy to contribute $$$ to help you out. Send me details.

yeah bloody oath, i got $20 here im happy as larry to donate toward you getting your mate back. just pm the account details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back