quarentine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nagini-baby

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
ok just wondering what peoples protocols for quarentining new arivals are? and for time periods ect.
wanting to set something up as a better protection for my curent animals. but not sure as to the best/most efficient way

Always quarentine any new additions for 3 months in a seperate room, work with your origanal collection first such as cleaning etc, before doing anything with the new addition. And always practice good hygene.

i have heard 3,6 and 12 months. im also interested as my olive is rapidly out growing her quarantine tank and im up to month 5.
She has given me no reason to suspect that there are any problems but im still so paranoid that if i bring her into my snake room to early it could cost more than she was worth.
i was thinking:

• If a perfect feeder, a1 specimen from very reputable breeder = 3 months

• 9/10 good feeder from a general breeder and no abnormal behavior = 6 months

• from pet shop, missing feeds constantly, takes a long time to settle in etc = 12 months or until feeding becomes regular, abnormal behavior ceases to exist for minimum of 6 months.

just my thoughts.
what everyone think?
cheers

From what I've read it's 12 months no matter where the animal comes from or how healthy it appears to be. Some of the nastiest conditions, like OPMV, can show no sign for months, then bang, your animal is very sick.

Long quarantine might not be practical for everyone so a compromise might have to be decided on. For example, it could depend on what you plan to do with the animals. After asking the same question a while ago and doing some reading, I've decided on 12 months. I could breed my snakes in future and I don't want to pass on any problems to future buyers.

As someone who has bred parrots for a long time we have the same issue in the bird industry. Sounds pretty rough but after a very bad experience when some post quarantine animals still managed to pass on something nasty and knock off some of my best birds I created a test aviary. In it I kept some basic pet budgies and all new birds had to spend time there before progressing to be part of the main area. Sounds a bit mean but ultimately the risk to those budgies was pretty low as I still always quarantined before they got there but it did act as a bit of an insurance policy for my more valuable animals if you know what I mean.

so whats the "budgie" of the reptile world...

no pun intended... but anything of less value (not many to choose from) would most likely be eaten/ fought..... just a thought.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put them in together but maybe in adjoining enclosures with mesh between or something like that. Guessing the budgie of the rep world would be something like a childrens python in snakes and a blue tongue in lizards, something inexpensive that while it would be sad it wouldn't be an enormous financial loss if something did happen to it.

But to do that youd need a seperate room for quarantine... one for testing in which you can only test one rep at a time or more test rooms.... plus enclosures, food for the "budgie", etc, etc.... and eventually that "budgie" becomes as much of a financial loss...

as stated earlier.. not having a go.. great idea for birds...dont think it would be practical for reps thats all... but thinking outside the box is a start!!

It's just as impractical for birds but that was a sacrifice I was willing to make after my big loss, I was keeping test birds in the garage and the laundry and quarantining new birds in my second bathroom...(In cages obviously)

things like opmv can stay hidden for years so i don't think even quarantine can protect us that much. id say the bigger the collection the more the risk so the longer people are willing to quarantine.
i know people who have quarantine tanks at family members houses to lower the risk even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back