sexing diamonds?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raddy318

Reaction score
hi everyone,
does anyone know any ways of determining the sex of a diamond python (other then using a probe) by just look at the snake? or is probing the only way?

cheers:)

a reptile vet can ultrasoud them, particually during breeding season when their ovaries are most active.

It is quite easy to tell by the shape of their tails - their heads are also another give away as to the sex but not as reliable as their tail shape.
Grab a copy of keeping & breeding australian pythons (swan) for pics and differences - money well spent

yes there are visual clues, but you need experience and usually the animal in front of you.

agree with that, however it definitely helps to know what you are looking for, and have a pair of each sex that have been probed to compare to. i find it relatively easy to see the difference on sub adult and older childreni once i know the sex, but wouldn't sell them as a certain sex without probing (only due to the fact my isn't that sharp, just yet).

It is quite easy to tell by the shape of their tails - their heads are also another give away as to the sex but not as reliable as their tail shape.
Grab a copy of keeping & breeding australian pythons (swan) for pics and differences - money well spent

tail shape quite easy with elapids maybe, but no so pythons for the untrained eye. as i mentioned above easier if you have something to compare to.

some more info on head shape if you can? not heard of this one.

Tail shape! Gold.

males have a hemipenal bulge, often you can see a slight bulge in the male, where the females tail will taper down from the cloaca. go check out some death adder threads if you find it so hard to believe ;)

Typical response on here unfortunately.
In the book mentioned it mentions the difference between male & female tail differences. I also remember reading an article which had clear pictures on this subject in one of the reptile magazines which was quite comprehensive on diamonds - possibly from Doc Rock??? unsure of the author.
Either way, I have a number of diamonds, tail sexing is quite easy & accurate with all of them.
I have found, at least with my diamonds & with the diamonds people I know that male heads seem to be broader than the females heads. The female heads seem to be narrower & longer. This is a personal observation only & the reason I have put not as reliable. It works for me, thats all that really matters. I never probe diamonds as its not necessary. But if you do, theres nothing wrong with it. Just answering a question with what I have found.

Probing Diamonds is not recommended. It can cause damage and is less reliable on Diamonds anyway.
As quite rightly mentioned above there are several other criteria that can be used reliably but it does take a good and preferably experienced eye. There's a few good threads detailing the criteria on forums and can be cited in various books and mags.
Tail-profiling and hemipenal bulges seem to be the most reliable criteria but the claws on the end of the spurs seems to be a pretty good indicator as well.
I'm not sure about the head criteria Green Buddy. Opinions seem mixed about this. I've personally seen a tendency the other way, with males having smaller, narrower heads. Because there's no combat with this sub-species it sort of makes sense.

I read a article in reptiles Australia it had clear pics of the tail shapes. I will work out which issue it is in on Monday (mags are at work)

You can definatley tell by hemipenal bulge but only at reasonable age, never heard of the head shape/size either although I would imagine you would need to have an adult or mature male to work it out...
As a hatchie you can pop them, you would need to be experienced in this method.

I read a article in reptiles Australia it had clear pics of the tail shapes. I will work out which issue it is in on Monday (mags are at work)
Was that one of the articles written by Nick Watson towards the end of Reptiles Australia (one of the last issues)?

Dee, the hemipenal bulge can be seen at a surprisingly young age. I'll have to look up when the earliest I've recorded is.

Last edited:
Dee, the hemipenal bulge can be seen at a surprisingly young age. I'll have to look up when the earliest I've recorded is.[/QUOTE]

Cheers, never took much notice any earlier than roughly 10months of age but then again I've never looked any earlier either.

Was that one of the articles written by Nick Watson towards the end of Reptiles Australia (one of the last issues)?

Dee, the hemipenal bulge can be seen at a surprisingly young age. I'll have to look up when the earliest I've recorded is.
I think so I only read it the other week. It was a very good article.

I just discovered yesterday when my 'female' diamond shed that she was infact a he by the sperm plugs, I think they`re called, present on the shed skin. The breeder I got her off is very experienced and reliable but still made the mistake. She sold me the snake at about 4.5 months old and told me she was 99% sure she was a female. Makes no difference to me, I didn`t care when I bought her .. um him, just means he has a girls name!

That's why I called my diamond "checkers" doesn't matter if mine is male or female still works.

Transcribed from Reptiles Australia, Vol 5 Issue 6, Diamond Pythons Part 2 the article was written by Nicholas Watson. (hope you don't mind)

This is his description as to tell the difference in tail & head shape. There are pics in the article but I couldn't get my scanner to work.

"Males tend to be the smaller of the species, and most specimens average 1.7-1.8m in length. They tend to be much slimmer, with a wider head, and their tails tend to be longer with a noticeable swelling at the underside of the base that can be visible at an early age. Female, on the other hand, can reach between 2-2.2m in length. They have more bulk and a thicker neck. Their tails tend to be thinner and shorter."

I have one large pair here, the female has the large head & the male smaller. I remember reading the article & then checking out my pairs tails, & the difference was quite obvious.
They have been carefully probe sexed which confirms a pair. They have not produced eggs yet but that could be due to other factors. The female is my avatar picture.
Cheers
Ian

Transcribed from Reptiles Australia, Vol 5 Issue 6, Diamond Pythons Part 2 the article was written by Nicholas Watson. (hope you don't mind)

This is his description as to tell the difference in tail & head shape. There are pics in the article but I couldn't get my scanner to work.

"Males tend to be the smaller of the species, and most specimens average 1.7-1.8m in length. They tend to be much slimmer, with a wider head, and their tails tend to be longer with a noticeable swelling at the underside of the base that can be visible at an early age. Female, on the other hand, can reach between 2-2.2m in length. They have more bulk and a thicker neck. Their tails tend to be thinner and shorter."

I will vouch for what he says. We have bought a few Diamonds off him that were sexed as hatchies like that and he was 100% spot on when i probed them at a later date.

I was just pionting out that head size is no indication, as my female has a bigger head than the male, I don't know that much about Diamonds, but maybe locality may have a bit to with head size as well.
As for the rest of the info, I would have to say spot on. As for probe sexing Diamonds, I am not sure that this is a real issue if it was done properly, & is a spot on way of determining gender.
But also with saying this I have have people tell me that I stuffed it up because what I said was a male, they probed to be a female & then after the snake shed with sperm plugs the reprobed & said sorry yes you were right.

Just my 2 bobs worth.
Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back