Bio-active Substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ron_peters

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys
Has anyone had luck setting up some Bio-active substrate in their enclosures, im not really into making a full vivarium with real plants but would like to try the substrate at least as a starter.
Ive read a few things online but would really like to hear other ppls "recipes" for success
cheers

I made a tank for my spotted marsh frogs with live plants. I used 5cm of rinsed scoria rock covered with dense flyscreen mesh (this allows for drainage) laid over. A mix of coco peat and play sand patted down about 10cm deep. Soon after I covered the substrate with river stones as it was sticking to my frogs. I also used soil from my garden (that is pesticide and chemical free) around the base of my plants. I used a Dracena and a Pyth..a..something endron. Both plants are suitable for low light. I have some sort of plant that grows like a mat that I planted and it thrives also.
I water maybe once a week and that is a medium misting at best.
Hope that helps.

cheers that is helpful, do you know what is involved with things like fungi and bacteria growth to help keep things like faeces in check?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back