heat perch idea

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew_kka

Reaction score
just had an idea of a perch not to sure tho how good it will turn out to be but this is my idea.

i was thinking of using pvc pipe as it is hollow inside nd comes in various sizes, i would be drilling tiny holes into the pipe for heat to escape, then i would put hooks or little rods at each end of the pipe at the top and bottom to wrap the heat cord around and keep it from touching the pipes on the sides. then i wuold just put the whole thing in like you would with any other branch or bamboo perch.

evenly heated perch and can be used along the whole tank if you have a long one and it shouldnt disturb the cool end as it is only the pipe itself warming up.

let me know what you guys think, do able or just plain stupid

Attachments

• PVC pipe.jpg
    PVC pipe.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 113
Not sure about use with snakes
But if you use it with lizards my guess is that woodies and crickets will find their way into the holes you've drilled for ventilation
Maybe instead of just a hole, silicone or glue some mesh on the inside? That way you will have ventilation, and nothing will get in.
Also, will you be able to open it up to clean inside or change the cord? (if need be)
Very interesting idea
I would love to see how it turns out if you'd make one

Regards,
Dylan

I have heard of this kinda idea before with mixed results. the tube was either to hot and snake wouldn't go near the perch. interesting idea let us know how it goes.

A mate of mine cut open one of thoughs fake, flexible vines, inserted a heatcord and siliconed it back up. He uses it for his lizards so there always out in a open area where you can see them easily. It works perfectly.

i guess it would work if the pvc pipe was wide enough otherwise it would get to hot & that could end badly...... Jake;)

ive seen a post with a pvc perch for pythons and it looks good i was considering doing it, thats when i got the idea of instead using a heat cord in it rather than cutting the holes for the python to perch as well as hide in. i would also put the thermostat probe inside the tube, the pvc would ofcorse be the wider ones and i would be only using it for snakes.
so far its just an idea as im working in melb for the next couple of weeks and just been bored so ive been crusing the forums gettting ideas for things.

heres some pics of the pipe the way i would put it in and the size of pipe. it would be able to be removed by simply unscrewing a screw from the bottom of the end cap holding the pipe, then pulling the pipe upwards and out.

these are not my pics, they are from the post i saw which gave me the idea.

Attachments

• Resize of pics 351 (1).jpg
    Resize of pics 351 (1).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Resize of pics 353 (1).jpg
    Resize of pics 353 (1).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 101
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back