Ceramic Heat Lamp vs Incadescent Heat Lamp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between the way heat is delivered from a ceramic heat lamp when compared to an incandescent heat lamp? Would a 60w ceramic heat lamp give the same heat intensity as a 60 watt incandescent heat lamp?

Ceramic gives off more heat for the same power rating. It has to since part of the energy is being converted to light in a globe

i have had some ceramic bulbs give off less heat for the same wattage as an incandescent.

All depends on what the element is made of... But I'm ceramic all the way.

Given the price difference though would I be right in imaging that the higher cost of the ceramic would offset any energy saving though?

Wish i know this before i bought a heat globe when it blew today. Does that mean these would be better for an ackie? saw i need 60 degrees up could i achieve that with a 100 watt ceramic?

Given the price difference though would I be right in imaging that the higher cost of the ceramic would offset any energy saving though?

This is really interesting stuff, I did a small excersice once & found that the heat given off by ceramic emmitters outweighs the heat given off by bulbs, but the surface temperature of the heat emmitter heats up to such a high intensity, that is above 300 degrees celcius & the buld no where near that.
I have never followed up the heat exchange rate between the globe or emmitter to the position you want to heat in distant nor power ratio.
If there is an interest in the the findings of the temps put out by these globes We will see if we can put up here.
One thing that was very clear is that every heat globe or emmitter should be covered with a protective barrier as the heat is very extreme.

Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back