temperature problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staciles1996

Not so new Member
Reaction score
when i have my light on in my snake tank the temperature exceeds 30 degrees. so i have turned the light off and teh temperature is perfect. i keep the heat mat on for her so there is some form of heating. is it a bad thing to leave the light off? i have light shining through the window during the day. usually when the light is on i dont see her all day, she hides under the bark, but when i have it off she will roam around all day and is more incline to come out of her cage. could the heat be making her cranky? is it harmful not to have a light? how can i make the temperature cooler without turning the light off completely?

sorry about all the questions, and if its hard to understand, i didnt no how to explain. :?

How big is the tank, what sort of light are you using and what wattage? How big is the snake. How hot does it get "in the tank" when the light is on. Do you have a thermal gradient?

I found the same thing last summer. Even a compact fluro was bringing the temps up a couple of degrees (which, when it was already mid 30s wasn't very good at all). As long as there is daylight to give them a sense of day/night cycle you should be alright

How big is the tank, what sort of light are you using and what wattage? How big is the snake. How hot does it get "in the tank" when the light is on. Do you have a thermal gradient?

im not possitive how big the tank it but its around 1m in hight, i can measure it when i get home. the light is 50W, they gave me a 100W when i got teh tank but i didnt use that because it was just to strong. my snake is around 30cm or so ( she is only a baby spotted python) she is around 7 months or so old. it gets to around 30-35 during the day in the tank, and what is a thermal gradient?

i have found that my hatchies come out at night only, through the day they hide in there hides.

Either try reducing it to an even smaller wattage or just leave it out altogether. Like I said, as long as there is daylight coming into the room it won't do any harm. None of mine have lights and they still eat properly and display a normal level of activity during both day and night

ok thank you. i just wanted to make sure it wont be harmful to her. she is overly active now that the light is off. is that normal?

What you call overly active could be a normal level of activity now that she doesn't have a bright light shining in her face every time she sticks her head out of the hide :p. Give it a go for a couple of weeks and ss long as she keeps eating for you it should be fine. That's the biggest indication that they feel safe adn healthy

lol good point now that the light is off she seems really happy. i feed her on thursday so i spose we will soon see.

ahhh , so the light is only for day light ? and not a heat/basking light ?..
i dont run day lighting in most of my snakes encolsures , they have no issues .
the only enclosures i have lights in are the ones that are in the corner or where normal sunlighting isnt the best .
i use LED strips from ebay [ u can even get them with 240v AC adapeters ] at under $5 a kit [ with adapeter ] u cant go wrong .
i have just installed some red LED`s in the croc tank for night veiwing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back