Learning to ride a motorbike

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotoriouS

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I've noticed a few experienced riders on the forum so thought I might ask here. I have zero experience in riding a motorbike, but would like to learn. I tried a few months back and went to a learner's course, but everyone there except me had previous riding experience, and needless to say I bombed out. My main issue was with changing gears as I've never even driven a manual car :oops:. I was wondering what you guys would recommend as being the next course of action for me in order to try and learn how to ride. Is there a place in sydney you would recommend for a course for an absolute beginner? Or am I better off trying to get someone experienced to teach me 1 on 1?

Thanks in advance guys! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Find someone with a low powered manual dirtbike, like an xr80 or something similar and have a ride of it in a paddock. How come you can't drive a manual car, is it because you haven't had an opportunity to drive one, or you couldn't get the hang of it so just gave up?

Ask the RTA, they should know someone, or ring a few of the companies that do learners driving courses, they may also be able to help.

Do you still get your "L's" and then do the upright course?

Yeah I'm with KR your best bet is to find somebody with a dirtbike... I doubt peeps will let you ride their sports or road bike for the fear of you dropping it. Ohh with the gears just keep the clutch in and open the throttle (you don't have to keep twisting just so the revs kick in), once you feel that there's some revs then slowly let the clutch go (as slow as your comfortable with you ain't going to burn it out don't worry) and just feel the bike moving. If you feel a sudden jerk throttle down and just grab the clutch, practice and you'll get the hang off it. Bikes don't have a "friction point" as such unlike cars. You can pretty much change gears as fast or as slow as you want.

Last edited:
Just don't let the clutch out too quick or you could fall over like I did :oops:

Dropped it on concrete too, wasn't happy.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Trouble is I don't currently own one or know anyone close that does in order to try and practice! I'll put up an ad or something and see if someone might be willing to let me learn on theirs for a few $$.

KR: Never had the opportunity to learn, my first car was an automatic Toyota Supra and I've just stuck with auto's.

yep ring around the training courses, most will have basic beginners course either over 1 or 2 days.

and suggest like everyone else get on a dirt bike in a paddack state forest etc, you will gain far more confidence in bike control and feeling of how the bike reacts and moves around on the rougher surface been riding for 8yrs and learnt more about riding on 1 weekend in muddy condition then what i would in a year on tarmac

out of curiosity which part of gearchanging do you struggle with on the bike? using clutch or the actual changing of the gear lever?

With bikes these days theres auto and manual licenses too, ie scooter types with no gear levers and clutch are treated as auto. Anything with a gear lever to shift is treated as manual.

If you are struggling with the actual lever try and see if you could find someone with a postie to help get used to the actual lever technique(their clutch is centrifugal and also releases when u move gear lever

Ask the RTA, they should know someone, or ring a few of the companies that do learners driving courses, they may also be able to help.

Do you still get your "L's" and then do the upright course?
actually the other way round do the stay upright course then goto rta with pass certificate

Last edited:
postie bikes are fun to learn on thats what i had when i was a kid, still have the gears but no clutch so you can learn when to use what gear without stressing so much about stalling ect..untill you get ur confidence up a bit

Have a look on netrider forums. Being in Sydney there are quite a few places you can go to learn. A good instructor is worth their weight in gold.

If you are serious you really have to get a bike first, then go from there.

It sounds as if you are a lacking a little confidence on the bike, which is fine, that will come with experience. As most have said, you are best of learning to ride in the dirt. A cheap trail bike is usually easy to get a hold of, even some of the smaller road registerable ones. Get onto a paddock and practice, practice, practice. Once you are confident enough in changing gears and manouvering the bike around, I would then tackle the added stresses of riding on the road. It is unsafe these days to ride on the road, but this can be minimalised by having great road awareness and treating every motorist like an idiot, as most are, and pay very little attention to riders on the road. Things like superbike school at eastern creek are also a greeat place to the learn the basics of handling a bike and will make learning very easy.
After all that, it is one of the things I love doing when I get half a chance, getting the bike out for a days ride up to Wollembi or even for a weekend away to some pub with my mates. Great fun.

I'd suggest trying to drive a manual car to get an understanding of how the gear's work how to semi engage clutch & how to safely release it along with learning to release clutch whilst applying gas, The first bike i ever bought & ever rode was a yamaha R6 never rode a bike other then a 49cc bike off ebay & took to it like a duck to water .

Didn't stall it on the first ride but nearly flipped, low/high slided & ofcourse the odd not having the right center of gravity when i stopped & dropped it in my drive way, Only bought the bike because i was under the impression that anything under 750 wasn't fast. Evidently i sold the bike after 12months of owning & only clocked up 2700km's & a small scratch to the front fender. I strongly don't recommend buying a big bike as a first.

I would personally stick to smaller 4 stroke's for a first bike,not very exciting but easier to ride.

I got my Learner riders licence 2 weeks ago and came away from the stay upright course with the opinion that getting your L's is way too easy, they said I was competent to ride on the road yet I had no confidence at all and was actually quite terrified to get out on the road on a bike even after driving high strung turbo cars for years......
After 2 weeks and approx 140kms on a bike on the road my confidence is quickly building. Try not to get overwhelmed by it all and go along to one of the RTA approved stay upright courses, even if you don't pass you will learn things like how they want you to ride off from a standing start and low speed maneuvers using the rear brake. If you learn from an experienced rider not through one of these courses you may pick up some bad habits that will see you fail your test.

i have had every type of high and low you can experience on a motorcycle,and the very best advice i can offer is PRACTICE
that is all :)

hey im in sydney too

I also had trouble riding the first time, having never driven a manual. Did my rider licence course at H.A.R.T., St Ives. They supply the bike for the initial riding course and it's 2 days I think. $150+?, can't exactly remember now.

First time out on the road though, (and even with them) and I was stalling on hills and traffic lights coz I wasn't used to changing down gears. I thought the bike was faulty, lol. Even after getting my licence, this was still happening. It took a little while to realise what I had to do, but wearing an 'L' plate is sort of insurance against impatient drivers.

So in that respect, they weren't quite catering for me, not realising I had NO idea with a manual or previous need to manually change down gears myself and needed more practice than their little quadrangle for stop/starts and hills. The bike at the time was a CBR125, so it just wouldn't start moving in anything more than 1st gear.

Where are you in Sydney, I'm always looking for an excuse to get out on the bike. Only thing is I can't teach you on mine, it's a 1000 now.

Get yourself a dirtbike and learn the basics in a paddock or somewhere open or do a riding course .The last place you want to be is out on the road trying to get the basics or riding .With the way alot of clowns are out on the road you would be considered fresh meat to them .I have been riding for years and trust me the us and them culture on the roads is alive and well .

Thanks fellas... Yea I think my confidence was shattered the last time I went on a course, felt like a complete clown all the other riders there were diong everything smoothly. 4 out of 5 of them were there due to licenses having been revoked, and the other one just came from overseas with years of bike riding experience. Anyone out there with a paddock and dirt bike willing to teach me? :D I think i'll go with trying to learn from someone in an open space on a dirtbike (like most of you have recommended!), and then do the course again once I've built up my confidence with the changing gears, balance, etc. I currently just look on enviously at all the people on their bikes riding freely! Hope to join them one day soon!

Get yourself a dirtbike and learn the basics in a paddock or somewhere open or do a riding course .The last place you want to be is out on the road trying to get the basics or riding .With the way alot of clowns are out on the road you would be considered fresh meat to them .I have been riding for years and trust me the us and them culture on the roads is alive and well .

LOL... bloody tin tops not using their mirrors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back