Camera that takes pro pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakelady96

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking now for a while to buy a camera that takes pro pics as im really into photography and kinda am happy to spend the right $$$ to suit my needs. Will be used mainly for photographing my captive snakes, geckos and dragons, some birds and other wildlife. I need some personal advice because as always the people in shops will say everything is good and try to sell me something mega expensive. In saying that im after something that is under $3000. Links or just names and info of some good cameras would be muchly appreciated :)
Cheers.

Yes i am definetly after a Nikon or Canon.... Would maybe prefer a Canon

Nikon D7000
or
Canon 7D
Both camera's should be under $1500 then go ahead and spend the rest of the money on decent glass. Don't bother with the plastic fantastic kit lenses that come with these camera bodies (buy the body only) if your willing to fork out that kind of cash and buy the "proper" lenses.

Canon/Nikon, Why not phone or go and see a local professional photograher and talk about what you want to do.
cheers

I would say the Canon 7D then get the Canon 100mm F/2.8 Macro Lens and Wide angle to Zoomed Lens. Getting two lenses with these capabilities will allow you to take shots of pretty much a hugely versatile range of things. If you wanna shoot birds you probably gonna need to get a dedicated telephoto lens. Shooting geckos is really improved by having a flash or two or as I often use 4, keep in mind these can be expensive expansions to what you have.

go for a nikon d90 or 300s, as stated above, get the body and spend the extra on good lenses. A 60mm f2.8 macro lens and a 70- 200mm f2.8 lens would be great starting lenses.

as for a flash, i use the sb900

Nikon D7K (body) $1000-1200
Nikon 16-85 Vr lens $600-800
Nikon 70-300 vr $400-600
Nikkor 60mm Micro 2.8 $300-500
Nikon SB600 flash $300-400

About 3k, but that's a full kit from macro to telephoto to cover all the range from small geckos to birds.

I'm not sure about Canon gear as I use Nikon.

Thanks Red-Ink Just jotting them all down now and sticking them on the fridge, my new wishlist. Got any old ones Mate ;)

Get a Pentax , they take great pics at half the price of the others .... will save you a heap of cash to spend on a few new snakes ....

Thanks Red-Ink Just jotting them all down now and sticking them on the fridge, my new wishlist. Got any old ones Mate ;)

Nah mate unfortunately.... But if you do get the D7K, we'll talk as that thing is compatible with the old lenses (Nikkor series) far shaper than most of todays lenses for a quarter of the price. Half of my lens kit that I rebuilt are 20 years old. Saved me a ton of money due to the D7k being able to meter through them unlike the other Nikon bodies out there. I picked up a 50mm 1.8 Nikkor in mint condition with the original box for $78 from ebay (shipped) one of the sharpest lenses i currently own (and the best Bokeh), and it's from the early 80s lol.

Pics from the D7k

on auto white balance for flouro using the $78 dollar 50mm 1.8

4a595483.jpg

Another on auto white balance under tungsten light this time using a 60mm macro 2.8

818ed728.jpg

Nice neutral tones on both pics under different lighting conditions.

Last edited:
I've never understood why people overlook Olympus... But... Oh well... A Canon would be awesome as well!

Personally... I'll stick to the Olympus :)

You don't need a great camera to be a great photographer....a lot of the point and shoot cameras can now take fantastic shots in the right hands; and if you choose carefully some have good manual controls as well.

If you've got that much money to spend I'd look at getting a good canon that is hd video capable as well.... and get the best lenses you can afford; they will make more difference than the camera body.

Take into account you will also need a good tripod and probably a flash or two; and the list of other accessories can be endless.

It's nice to have a great DSLR but they are big and heavy to cart around. Sometimes the best shots are taken with the camera you carry around the most.....the one that just fits comfortably in your pocket.

It's nice to have a great DSLR but they are big and heavy to cart around. Sometimes the best shots are taken with the camera you carry around the most.....the one that just fits comfortably in your pocket.

Upgraded my point and shoot for that exact same reason.... Samsung WB700 full manual controls 18x zoom with HD video and fits in my pocket. My new "walk around" camera.

Nice images and great snakes ;) We'll see how the breeding season goes and go from there but thanks for the item/price list handy to have when looking. (like now) lol

I used to use an Olympus E3 it great for any night macro shooting or in full sun, but put it any trickier lighting situation and it just couldn't cope. I've now jumped over to Canon which I reckon is far better than Nikon, just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back