Cunninghams Skink question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RCW74

Reaction score
Hi all

After some advice from Cunninghams Skink keepers. I have a pair bought at the Newcastle Reptile Expo this year, so around a year old (or a bit less). Both are growing well and feed voraciously! However, they are both pretty flighty - not to mention quick and quite bitey...and therefore amusing.

This doesn't bother me in itself, but I was just interested to know, do Cunnighams get more docile with age and become more amenable to handling, or are they more a look don't touch type of animal?

Comments appreciated

We have two that were bought from a pet shop. According to their keeper they were flighty at first, but they've been nothing but sweethearts to us! They literally run to us and up our arm when they want out, have never bitten or showed agression and seem to like hanging around in our necks :) Sure they're not what you'd call calm or lazy when handled, but friendly, yes.

Nope. I am sure there may be the odd one out there that is a really nice pet. They are a bit like monitors....should really just be observed and not touched.

Like Fay says, there may be exceptions, I have a group that lived next to the computer for 5 years, they would sit next to the glass and watch you, let you know when they were hungry etc but as soon as you opened the doors they would go ballistic and when you grabbed them they would bite.

I had a small colony of four (which I raised from new borns) for about 5 years, and they acted the same as Peters, eat out of your fingers, not shy of you but pick them up and they twist, crap and bite... in that order.

Last edited:
closely related, i have 3 SA gidgees. have had them 1 year.......flighty as hell. race away like lightning. haven,t got used to me at all. (who can blame them)....but acquired 2 hosmers 4 months ago...quite the opposite. pick them up easily, never run away etc...

Cheers

Thanks all

Sounds like I have pretty typical Cunninghams then! Great to watch, hysterical 'poor attitude' to being handled!

Some can be tame enough to tolerate handling. I have a small colony & they all vary.

My cunningham Mr Pumpleton is scary! When you try to clean the enclosure, you put your hand in and he runs around, and then when you pick him up he thrashes around and tries to bite you :) I love him.

My cunningham Mr Pumpleton is scary! When you try to clean the enclosure, you put your hand in and he runs around, and then when you pick him up he thrashes around and tries to bite you :) I love him.

His family say hi. He is an uncle now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back