Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shane Simpson is from Victoria. I know DSE don't like the road we are heading down but I think it would be pretty hard to do anything about it. Especially in Victoria when Coastals, Jungles, Murray Darlings, Darwins and South Western Carpet Pythons all come under CARPET PYTHON - MORELIA SPILOTA VARIEGATA
Paul

as do I Australis... 'shaky snake syndrome'

Paul, is it legal to mix Morelia bredli with Morelia spilota?

Last edited:
No it is not as they have there own species code
Diamond Python - Morelia spilota spilota
Centralian ( Bredli) - Morelia bredli
As far as the act/regulations is concerned these 2 are different but the 5 previously mentioned are all the same. I do not even think that it could be proved if a snake was a cross or not anyway (not easily anyway). Going by visual reference would be tough to hold up in court.
Paul

Jags etc are not found in the wild, nor are they on NPWS species list and they are officially not exotic so theoretically you could keep them without paying for a license and NPWS may not have a case to claim that you should pay them due to the fact they are not "Wildlife".

Jags etc are not found in the wild, nor are they on NPWS species list and they are officially not exotic so theoretically you could keep them without paying for a license and NPWS may not have a case to claim that you should pay them due to the fact they are not "Wildlife".
Mind = blown.

And Paul, it lists
Carpet or Diamond Python - Morelia spilota
Centralian Carpet Python - Morelia bredli

To late and impossible for them to control, they can't control what they have now let alone any more. They should stick to controlling / patrolling National Parks.

Diamonds (spilota spilota) and "Carpet Pythons" (spilota variegata)are listed differently on the schedule in Victoria.

Oh man i think the aliens have experimented on you a lil too much... lol.

JAGS are just M. spilota. They are on every species list except tasmania.

Have a good read of "The Complete Carpet python" the most recent classifications are explained therein

I would have thought that turning Australia into a "hybrid mad country like USA" would have a positive impact on conservation. When the price of albino Darwin carpets and jags inevitably become more affordable, there will be less incentive to take a 'boring' old coastal from the wild etc.

I would assume that the people interested in preserving particular locale specific herps will be the more 'hardcore herper' who has a deeper appreciation of the animals and the habitat they come from. The average punter probably won't be interested in wild herps and will go for the brightly coloured morphs.

from http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p01386aa.pdf

Can I breed protected animals?
Yes, if you are the holder of an appropriate licence you are entitled to breed those species listed under
Schedule 3 of the Nature Conservation (Wildlife) Regulation 2006.
However, it is illegal to knowingly breed a mutation or hybrid of a protected animal, although there are some
specific exemptions that apply to the holder of a commercial wildlife licence or recreational wildlife licence for
live protected birds
You can see that there is a huge can of worms here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back