Bearded Dragon eggs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cid_python

Reaction score
my bearded dragon laid around 20 eggs, I dont have a incubator. Will they still hatch if I leave them there?

I tried that a few years ago and nope, there is a few threds on making a home made incubator, its cheap and you have a few hours to get it sorted. if u use a sisteema container with some damp but not wet sand, put some indents and place the eggs (without turning them) in there, it will stop them from drying out while you go on your mission to make your incubator. hope this helps a little. good luck

If you don't want to build an incubator (really quite easy) you could also ask if someone in your area has space in their incubator

Do be carefull though. i had eggs stolen this way.. but if they are someone who you have a little trust with through this site you should be fine :)

get an icecream container with vermiculite mixed with water 1:1 with the lid on and sit on top of your fridge or freezer its a very warm area check them every few days to allow air exchange

You do not need an incubator for BD eggs, a warm room or sitting them on something slightly warm will do. Your biggest problem ( if you have no experience) is mixing the vermiculite and monitoring the moisture. This is something you need to be shown and not told, 98% of new people mix it too wet, and all you end up with is mouldy dead eggs, if it is mixed too dry the eggs will sink in, though this A; will not cause the eggs to die quickly like if they were too wet, and B; gives you plenty of time to add some more water. reptiles hatch fine from wrinkly eggs, which is how eggs are in wild conditions.

i think the best thing to do is get some chinese containers, fill half full with vermiculite then the same of water(by weight), make indentations for eggs, put eggs in indentations put lids on containers then sit them on top of your enclosure at about the middle. them wait for them to hatch.

Cheers Richard

you can get vermeculite pretty cheap in big bags from bunnings , home hardware or most garden/nursery places.

i have never used dirt or sand , and wouldn't recomend it as it would not hold the moisture needed without being too muddy, or risk soaking your eggs in pools of water as it settles.....

if you seriously want to incubate the eggs, bunnings is open until 9pm tonight.....in my area anyways

Same in my area ill go there tonight. so how much water do i mix it with?

mix roughly 40% water to 60% vermeculite....it's tough to use exact measurements, but you want it to hold it's shape when you squeeze it together, but not drip water

so if it is too wet just squeeze as much out as you can before you put the eggs in

heres a pic of how i'm doing mine....a bit different but it works for me
View attachment 221868

I just use kitchen scales. Put the vermiculite in the scales, weigh it. Then put the same weight of water in the tub with the vermiculite and mix it up. Works for me anyway. Good luck

First time Bearded Dragon breeding

I too have a clutch of 20 eggs. We are first timers and have been thrown in the deep end. I am pretty certain that the substrate was too wet and perhaps got too hot as the thermostate failed. I have also heard that sometimes the first lot may not have been fertile. As I stated I am inexperienced so any feedback would be highly appreciated. My dragons have mated again today so hopefully I will get another chance to get it right. She laid these eggs 2 weeks after her first mating and by one week later they look pretty horid .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back