Snake Genetic Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoRider

Doesn't Own Geckos
Reaction score
Ok so i have been reading and researching Stuff about snakes and i just wont to clears this up...

Ok so if a normal and an albino have baby's they are called Het albino? and 100% are hets?

so if a Het and a normal reproduce there is it a 1/4 or 1/2 chance of getting a Het?

Ok final question...

Has two normals ever produced an albino?

Well it had to have happened at some point right?

Thank you :)

Ok so if a normal and an albino have baby's they are called Het albino? and 100% are hets? Yes

so if a Het and a normal reproduce there is it a 1/4 or 1/2 chance of getting a Het? 50% chance

Has two normals ever produced an albino?

Well it had to have happened at some point right? No. If they produced albinos they would have to both be het making them, by definition, not normals

Last edited:
Yes breeding a normal and an albino the entire clutch will look normal but carry the albino gene. They are called 100% hets.

If you breed a 100% het to a normal the entire clutch will look normal however 50% of the clutch will carry the albino gene. Because you can not tell the hets and normals apart visually, the entire clutch is are labelled as 50% possible hets.

And no a normal and a normal will never produce a recessive albino. Both animals will need to be hets.

Regards.

Ewan.

Ok thank you.. so the plan i have is breed a male Het with a female normal.. then breed the Het dad with (Hopefully) a female Het off spring to get an albino... might take a few years but it would be fun to eventually breed an albino from 2 normal looking snakes

If you get yourself a het female you should get albinos from your first clutch

yeh i would suggest buying a pair of 100% hets. that way you dont have to wait anywhere near as long to get your goal.

And you won't be making as many normal/normal looking babies that you have to try and find homes for

GeckoRider what species are you talking about?

actually at some point two "normals" had produced an albino. This wasnt because they passed it on but because of a genetic mutation in a singular offspring. Albinism was produced by mutation in the genes

is that why after the albino darwin carpets were so expensive at the start but as more are produced more will be produced thus making it cheaper and cheaper as they become more and more common??

is that why after the albino darwin carpets were so expensive at the start but as more are produced more will be produced thus making it cheaper and cheaper as they become more and more common??
i would assume so.. I wish we had ball pythons because of all there Genetic mutations lol... how come they can have ours but we cant have theres :(

well yeh. Because there would be only a few but if you can find a few and breed them then the gene is inherited creating more to breed from

actually at some point two "normals" had produced an albino. This wasnt because they passed it on but because of a genetic mutation in a singular offspring. Albinism was produced by mutation in the genes
It would be extremely difficult to prove whether the first albino was produced by mutations in both alleles in one animal or hets being created from a mutation on a single allele. It seems more likely that it would be the latter though

Yeah it's about supply and demand. Obviously when Blondie was first found everyone wanted one but only very few were available for a few years. In a couple more years hopefully they will cost as much as the fancier Carpets now. I'd love to own one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back