Help; Identifying this lizard.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camcamcam

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
At the petshop I work at, I had a lady come in and talk to me about a "bearded dragon" they rescued - and have had for a while, all she told me is that it never ate anything apart from mealworms, hasn't grown, and always swims in it's container.

So she was going to buy food and everything until she said, "Is that a bearded dragon"? And pointed to a picture, I just said yes, and she mentioned that hers doesn't look like that...
So she has a lizard, we both don't know what it is, her husband rescued it from when trees and so on were getting cut down.

Pictures will be attached, and will someone please tell me what lizard this is (if you can), and what enclosure it needs, eg. Lights, heat, hide objects, water, pretty much anything.
She's very keen to keep it as her pet, as her son has fell inlove with it, she is going to buy it anything the lizard needs and so on.

Thanks alot in advance!

Attachments

• Photo_72ADCA89-50AE-A2E7-EB61-19ED57CB736B.jpg
    Photo_72ADCA89-50AE-A2E7-EB61-19ED57CB736B.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 259
  • Photo_99DFFD1F-56F7-6FEE-CFDD-3E4A374D59D0.jpg
    Photo_99DFFD1F-56F7-6FEE-CFDD-3E4A374D59D0.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 296
Just make sure she is aware that it's actually illegal for them to keep it. Ultimately it's up to her but let her know and hopefully she might make the right decision.

Im going with Tommy Round Head Dragon (female). Tank looks ok. I would have more ventilation if possible. Perhaps some smaller sticks rather then that big log. 2-3foot tank is fine. Should eat crix and woodies as well, I would get rid of newspaper and replace with sand so the insects don't hide but thats just me. Best case would be for her to let it go and get a bearded dragon as it would be a much better "pet" and wouldn't be illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys.
Are they known to be around the SE QLD area? That's where they found her.
And best tips for enclosure, like do they enjoy alot of water, trees, logs etc?

@cadwallader, Yes I know that.. No need to have that attitude. Im only giving her advice and I will strongly advise she puts it back in the wild, but Im not the one with the lizard, so If I can give her the best tips for the enclosure then that be the next best thing, wouldn't it. But yes, I will mention again. I will strongly advise her that she returns it to the wild.

In addition to what I said a water bowel would be a good idea. Something the size of the bottoms of a pot plant.

Tell her its illegal and she can be fined, but if shes gunna keep it thats her bad decision and I agree you may as well tell her how to keep it.

Another question, if she wanted to keep the reptile (still going to push for it to be put back into the wild), and asked me how, in QLD can she get a license to keep wildlife? Or is that what the reptile license is for aswell?

A recreational license is what allows you too keep restricted animals. Basically, a reptile license. This license does NOT allow you to keep animals from the wild. In some states there are slight variations about animals found on your property, kept on your property, exempt animals but I'm not sure on those. The only possible way for a 'recreational keeper' to keep a wild animal is to apply for a rescue permit for that animal (i would assume there has to be a reason). Rescued animals most often have to be given to a certified wildlife rescuer

Even if she gets a recreational wildlife license its still illegal for her to keep that animal. A recreational license allows you to purchase reptiles from breeders and keep them.

Okay, cheers.
And where would be the best place to release back into the wild? Just any bushland area? Just incase she asks (hopeing she does)

Offering her advice on how to keep it, is enabling her to keep it. Offering advice is condoning her behaviour (even if not in your eyes, it will be in hers)

The less she knows the better. I can understand why others seem snippy, it must be frustrating to hear that people continually do the wrong thing even after they've been told it's wrong, so hoping the advice you DO offer to her is the right one and not the advice she is looking for.

Maybe you could offer to sell her a beardie or something from your shop. Don't let her passion go to waste but put it too good use properly taking care of a legal animal. If you have a young beardie that is a runt/not doing as well as others it may just spark the same response from her. Its not that the wrong thing was done by saving this animal from habitat destruction its just that its time for the little guy to go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back