Reptile Smuggling on 7pm Project

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

junglepython2

Just saw a promo for a story on reptile smuggling some time this week, should be interesting.

These things are always interesting but rarely factual. More interesting would be an expose on those who seek to buy the smuggled animals... It should always be remembered that the smugglers only find it worthwhile because there's a ready market for the stuff they bring in. People in glass houses...

Jamie

The 7pm project is journalistic rubbish..

I guess if it's the 7pm Project Joy, that should give you a clue...

It always interests me that those who smuggle (and get caught) are hung out to dry by the self-righteous, who are always first in line to get their hands on the smuggled goods - Jags, albino Blackheads, Granites, Zebras... they're queuing up to pay thousands for these things... such grand hypocrisy!

Fortunately I don't like morphs!

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Certain types of people trade on fellow human beings indiscretions

Oh to be holier than thou ... lol

Last edited:
It would be far more useful to get Four Corners to do an expose on the end users, the market the smugglers cater for, than something lightweight like ths. Programs like this, without real journalistic integrity, can often be used unwittingly as payback if they don't research the entire topic thoroughly.

Jamie

Yeah thats right I forgot all those smack smugglers are the good guys, and the poor kids who get addicted are the real villians

Yeah thats right I forgot all those smack smugglers are the good guys, and the poor kids who get addicted are the real villians

Ummm... that's a significant distortion of what I was saying... and not remotely connected to reptile smuggling. I don't think we're talking addiction here... we're talking greed and big profits in being among the first few cabs off the rank with something new.

Just as long as you can't be fingered for smuggling it yourself, it's OK to promote yourself as a breeder/supplier of animals with smuggled heritage, in fact you become a sort of folk-hero of the herp world.

Jamie

I think if you take away the supply then the demand will surely follow ?

I own a jag and thank those who bought them in for the pleasure but if they where not available I wouldn't have bought it

I think if you take away the supply then the demand will surely follow ?

I own a jag and thank those who bought them in for the pleasure but if they where not available I wouldn't have bought it

Oh dear... doesn't even deserve a comment... except to say that demand usually comes BEFORE the supply is facilitated. Supply fills an existing demand. Why do you think people bother to import things??? Because there's a demand for them silly!!! That would have to be a classicly stupid justification for buying something you know has an illegal heritage.

All that happens when you take a way or reduce supply is THE PRICE GOES UP... which makes smuggling even more attractive. Have you ever heard of supply & demand?

Smuggler to self... "Oh, I'll just take the risk and bring in a dozen Jags, as far as I know nobody wants them, but somebody might want them sometime I guess... maybe I can develop a market over the next year or two..."

I don't think so.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back