Career Change

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KREPS2011

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have been stuck at my job for almost 2 years now. And i am sick of being stuffed around by my 3 bosses.
So i have decided that i am still young enough for a career change.
I am just wondering what is a good trade to try and get into. That doesnt involve travel.

At the moment i am a 3rd class CNC Machinest.
And i have a completed my 1st year as a boilermaker at my previous job.
Would of loved to finish it But was young and stupid.

So please post what you may think what is a good trade to get into.

Cheers
Kyle

I don't think anybody can answer that for you Kyle. For you to want to stick a job out, you have like the work and get along well with the team and management crew. It sounds like you already have some good qualifications up your sleeve, if that's the path you want to take. Its not too late to finish your Boilermaker course. Go and check the courses out at TAFE. Don't just wish you finished it, make it happen. DO IT.

bhahahaha EVERY job you get stuffed around by bosses. LOL

Good luck to you anyway.

I have been trying to get back into boilermaking. But since my father inlaw decided he wanted to hock all my tools i have to replace them before that.

My bosses are pretty bad. It has takin 12 minths of me asking for fulltime to finally get it. And then i get a pay drop. From 19/hr + casual loading on top all the way down to 17/hr. Doesnt seem right to me.
Also got threaterned to be fired if i had time off when my first child was born. I ended up having 2 weeks off. But they never fired me.

Also alot of other stuff. But no point going through it all.

Thanks for everyones replys so far.

Cheers
Kyle

Kyle, i get that it sucks, but thats bosses for u.......well 'most' bosses anyway. My partners boss just lost 50grand in 24hrs of landing in vegas, yet he refuses to pay the boys overtime for work he demands is finished! As i said, bosses are exactly that for a reason, & although it isnt exactly fair, thats just the way it is. Yes, some bosses are good people, they dont let the 'name' go to their head, but they are far & few between! Goodluck with whatever you decide to do though!

That is so true what ppl have said here. I don't think it matters who you work for, you will find things that are out of sorts, unfair. That sucks about how you were treated when your child was born. How can anybody be so heartless to family events like that. But the drop in pay going from casual to permanent is what you will get in any job. The reason casuals get that extra amount is because they don't have paid holidays or sick leave. Being permanent now, you will be entitled to holidays, special leave, sick leave. The money you dropped, you may find you do get that as holiday bonus, just not in every pay.

I am not impressed with the boss I have now. He is similar to what Bel said about expecting you to stay after your rostered hours, to complete a task without extra pay. I have tried sneaking out the building, avoiding running into him because I know he will find something else for me to "quickly" do before I go. I don't complain, well not yet. But he is only here temporarily anyway. He talks at 100 miles an hour, and you're lucky to understand a word he said, but then he's gone off doing something else. Ppl have commented that he is ADHD so we try to respect him but its so hard to do what he asks when he can't slow down and explain things properly ... lol

kyle - as a CNC machinist you can really good money if your fully Qaulified, i should know i am in the recruitment business my family owns several companies of which is a very well known recruitment company. we recruit only the best staff with the best skills, your job depends on what your knowledge ,skills, and the demand in your industry.
i would say finish your trade first so you are quailfied. i employ CNC machinists Trade Quailfied $22.00 and $45.00 per hour depending on what skills you have.
if you do jobing , programing , or how many axis use can use ! all this matters and with boilermaking this trade can get good money as well but

Thank you for your replys. With the pay situation im pretty sure ur just ment to lose the casual loading. And stay on the hourly base before the casual loading.
When i was casual i was getting 19/hr + $5.75 casual loading.
But my pay is alot lower than that now. Lower than 19/hr.

I was looking at doing a apprentiship here. And i have asked. But they said their not willing to give me 1 because i can do what a apprentice does.

But then theres the workers who bung on false compo claims, even after being fired, sickies, etc. We have a small family business and is not as easy as you may think - do you work 12-16 hours a day, then go home and still think about it, Do you risk losing your house, etc?, most business owners are the same. Our workers are paid above award, with extra perks, to keep the few good ones, as opposed to the rest of the crap that has passed through here.

Also as on permanent you will now get holiday pay, sick pay and other entitlements where on casual you didnt.

I can also reply to Faye

EVERY job you get stuffed around by employees. LOL

It is never too late for a career change! I am 26 and am just about to finish my Youth Work course and get out of admin... very excited!

Good luck choosing a new career, its good to do :)

All we can really offer in advise is to go with something you are going to be happy with. Though a career change in your later years is never a bad thing. It's just another chance to have a go at something else.
I can tell you from experince i went from being a Chef for over 10years to literally cutting my wage in half to undertake a new career path in Admin. I have never regreted changing paths as it's the challenage that lays ahead that keeps us all going.

Just remember the important things in life do what makes you happy and not what others want you to do. It is never to late to change your mind even if you change it countless number of times.
It doesnt matter about your bosses or other employees your always going to be stuffed around in one way or another. If your lucky you may actually find a decent boss, they are rare but they do exisit.

Good luck in the path you wish to choose!

Last edited:
Thank you for everyones replys.
I think i may try and get into carpenter (house building) or try and get all my tools back and continue boilermaking.

But knowing me i will probably take the first thing that comes my way lol.

Thank you again.
Cheers
Kyle

It is never too late for a career change! I am 26 and am just about to finish my Youth Work course and get out of admin... very excited!

Good luck choosing a new career, its good to do :)

i partially completed Youth work at uni but unfortunately its not for everyone and i bombed out. I'm thinking about applying for medicine....don't get me started i could talk all day on the subject i'm only 24 but want some life experience before hitting the books for 3years of full on study and then working for nothing for another 3 (work placement)

Thank you for everyones replys.
I think i may try and get into carpenter (house building) or try and get all my tools back and continue boilermaking.

But knowing me i will probably take the first thing that comes my way lol.

Thank you again.
Cheers
Kyle

Its not a bad option to take the first thing that comes your way. Use it to your advantage - preparation for the job you really want. While you are waiting for the perfect job, you will have an income to live on, and to gather your tools back. Just remember you work to live, not live to work. So if you can go home each day and leave work at work, and enjoy your life outside of work, then you're not doing too bad.

I'm up to the last couple of stages to be a fireman, which for the first 4 months will be hard as i will be going to a wage that i earnt when i was 17 but after finishing recruits (if im lucky enough to get in that is) your pay goes up quite a lot and then there is the whole 4 on 4 off side of it and 9 weeks annual leave a yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back