Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the members who own cats.. how many have cat runs outside for their cats?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • no cat run but kept inside

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeffa do you have any full pics of that trap? I'll have a crack at making one.

It probably got hit by a car or fell off something. Cats are really hard to beat with a blunt object, they move too dang fast.

I assume you didn't see my post about my neighbours indoor cat that escaped from its crate on the way to the vet, by accident, after never ever being outside before. Their biggest worry was cat haters killing it. My cat escaped once when someone didn't latch the back door properly, it has seizures so it was quite a worry. When it returned the next day it could hardly walk and had a lovely wound on it's head from some kind of blunt object. This is what happens when people take the law into there own hands. My cat had seizures everyday for over a week after that because some heartless piece of dirt decided it was just an abandoned or uncared for stray.

Jeffa do you have any full pics of that trap? I'll have a crack at making one.

It probably got hit by a car or fell off something. Cats are really hard to beat with a blunt object, they move too dang fast.

No worries Gordo, will send pics soon.

My cat doesn't move that fast, he is a little unco, and the vet said it looked like it was most likely done with a hammer. I assume they hit it, cat went into a seizure and they left it for dead. He can't even hunt because of his coordination problems, though I doubt people in my area kill cats because they hunt, more likely for fun.

Sounds like your cat would make for the start of a breeding program. A pet cat for those who are conservationists at heart but still crave the attention of a putty tat! :p

My cat doesn't move that fast, he is a little unco, and the vet said it looked like it was most likely done with a hammer. I assume they hit it, cat went into a seizure and they left it for dead. He can't even hunt because of his coordination problems, though I doubt people in my area kill cats because they hunt, more likely for fun.

Hi all this is just a something I picked up off youtube for making a basic trap, works in the same way mine does execpt mine is all caged metal, and is spring loaded unlike this drop door method. How to make a homemade box trap - YouTube

Cheers

Will post pics of my cage one soon.

I assume you didn't see my post about my neighbours indoor cat that escaped from its crate on the way to the vet, by accident, after never ever being outside before. Their biggest worry was cat haters killing it. My cat escaped once when someone didn't latch the back door properly, it has seizures so it was quite a worry. When it returned the next day it could hardly walk and had a lovely wound on it's head from some kind of blunt object. This is what happens when people take the law into there own hands. My cat had seizures everyday for over a week after that because some heartless piece of dirt decided it was just an abandoned or uncared for stray.

I did read your post, and thought about including a response in my post, but it was already long. But since I haven't started work yet....

You do raise a valid point, some cats are out and about because they accidentally escaped. This number is a tiny one compared to the number of cats that are let to roam. I don't think you'd dispute this? But I'm guessing you would say it's not a good policy to shoot first and ask questions later, so to speak. Given the tiny percentage of any wandering cats that are accidental escapees, I have to say that I don't believe it warrants treating all roaming cats as potentially someone's accidentally escaped beloved pet.

That is not to say that I would see a cat with a collar with a name tag that said "My name is Mittens, if you find me please cal my owner on 123344567 because I must have escaped", and treat it like any old feral. I never claimed to have a one size fits all policy. Likewise, trapping cats does not mean condoning random bashing of cats, I'm sorry to hear that that happened to your cat. In suburbia, take them to the pound I say. If you have lost a cat, you will check at the pound. Ferals out bush is a different story.

Like I say, I look after four cats and rather like cats on the whole. But when so many cats are left to roam, and do cause so much trouble, and so many people maintain that right to allow their cats to roam, the reasonable presumption is that a cat is not an escapee absent other evidence.

Sounds like your cat would make for the start of a breeding program. A pet cat for those who are conservationists at heart but still crave the attention of a putty tat! :p

Not if it's an acquired characteristic Gordo ;)

I hate to hear of incidences of pointless cruelty against animals, and I think it's a disturbed person who actually does this sort of thing.

But I don't think it's a valid argument against trapping and removal of pest animals.

Last edited:
Oh Graham, you really know me and you obviously know how and where I keep our cat, don't you. Your assumptions in that regard are but insulting.
Patching up animals is not helping the poor victims but does nothing to stop or prevent the problem, so don't feel so superior over me.

Ok Michael, I can copy and paste it if you like, but you did say earlier that YOUR cat ended up in someones freezer. Remember? that actually boils down to you having a wandering cat. Its not an assumption, YOU wrote it here.

Patching up the animals does help them. The ones that live get another chance to breed.

I know it doesn't help the "problem" (problem being stupid people with wandering cats), if you read my posts earlier i state that trying to educate these people is like talking to a brick wall, (similar to you really) when you go out to pick these animals up.
As for feeling superior over you, you have nailed it there mike. Your superiority complex is WAYYY bigger then mine. i guess that's the reason i actually work hands on with my local wildlife, and you don't. Because you know so much better.

For the record, i don't trap or kill cats, I do however look after the victims and release them if they survive. That's it, no more , no less. i don't want recognition, or anything from anyone. i couldn't give a flying rats A hole what a person thinks of me either way, i have nothing to prove, and don't feel the need to prove anything, except tell it how it is. i am not a young up and coming "herper" that needs to suck up to anyone, so if i offend you then maybe you aren't accepting your role in the way this thread is going.

I have much more interesting things to do then carry on with this crap, so I'll see you on the other side.

A cat outside has to to be classed as feral.

In a lot of places its against the law for them to wander, this makes a cat wandering a feral cal by definition according to the law.

In my area on the peninsula we dispose of feral cats because every one you get rid of means less native animals taken. If your trapped cat is a pet it will be collected by the owner from the pound, If not, it will be rehomed or euthed.

I cant believe the comments relateing to it being to late to do anything.

For every cat removed you are saving some native animals.
I love cats and think they are beautiful animals but i love our natives more and if i think your pussy is feral it is in peril.

or you could all just accept the inevitable that people will not control there cats and get over it??? just throwing it out there.
Then get over the fact people will trap, pound and eventually if you don't pay you're fines, mr whiskers will be put down.
x0x0

if i think your pussy is feral it is in peril.
Gold. hahahaha

hope this works.

Attachments

• 1 001.JPG
    1 001.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 1 002.JPG
    1 002.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 1 003.JPG
    1 003.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 23
I know it is illegal in some council areas, like mine, for cats to be out after dusk. I also know you are allowed to catch said cats but I don't think it is legal to shoot them, thats just you taking the law into your own hands. If I am wrong please post a link showing me where it says you are allowed to shoot someones pet.

Its not up to me to do your research for you.
If you dont believe me, how about you look it up,
and if the law has been changed in the last few years.
You can then post a link correcting me, if Im wrong that is.

Until then, I just got another,
What do you think happened to this one?

Attachments

• poor puss 1.jpg
    poor puss 1.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 58

A. If it was a feral than it got euthed
B. A pet whos owner was irresponsible and did not care? euthed or rehomed
C. An owner who hopfully learn their lesson, stays inside to the end of their days.

Win all around.

Ya Rams, keep coming back because i am quite passionate about one thing ..... not so much the cats as per say but the narrow-minded people who post recipes how to trap or kill a cat (one tool even described how to best drawn them) or boast how many they have done. If you only "like" native animals, there is something missing .... and if you hate any animal (apart from parasites, etc) you are one sick puppy.

Ok Michael,
I breed my own Rats and Rabbits as feeders for my reptiles,
All my Rodents are kept in lab tubs in my garage, my garage does not have a door on it as its at the back of my property behind a gate.
The Bunnies are in secured cages in my back yard.

Do you have any idea how many animals I have lost to neighborhood cats coming into my yard at night?

Now I have a huge respect for owners that keep their cats locked up.
If a cat owner is responsible enough to keep their loved pet save, I have no issue.

I am responsible enough to keep my rats secured,
Im sure if some of my rats got out and wandered onto the neighbors
property, they would be poisoned.

I dont hate cats, they have their place.
I am however RESPONSIBLE for the well being of my reptiles food.

If I trap a cat on my property, It has no right to be there and I will KILL IT.

If you think that makes me a sick puppy, get you head out of your own.....

This thread sickens me now. Give yourselves medals all you heroes and .......

And you guys probably wonder why snake and reptile keepers have a bad reputation in public, no one in there right mind thinks if they find a cat on their property they have the right to kill it on the spot.

Hopefully the decent thing and taken to the pound for the owners to collect or not collect....

I have pictured 3 Wedged Blazed Rats, one Mink, one Cinnamon and an Agouti.
These rats get sold to the pet trade, people pay me $30 a rat to keep as a pets.
Is a cats life more important than one of these rats?

If one of my neighbors lets their cat out of a night and it ***** my lab tubs over killing a few dozen rats.
What am I to do?

When I started trapping Cats, I took them to the pound.
I caught the same Cat 3 times over a few months, the owner paid the fine twice and didnt learn.
The 3rd time I made sure the cat would never return.
Now, no cat returns to my property.

What you dont understand Michael, THIS IS MY HOUSE, If you love your cat keep it off my land.
I dont go and hunt cats around my neighborhood, I set a trap in front of my rat racks.
If a cat ends up in the trap, I will kill it.

Attachments

• DSC_1841.jpg
    DSC_1841.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_1835.jpg
    DSC_1835.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_1805.jpg
    DSC_1805.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.