Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the members who own cats.. how many have cat runs outside for their cats?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • no cat run but kept inside

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully the decent thing and taken to the pound for the owners to collect or not collect....

I have taken many cats to the pound at the start,
I have caught a few cats more than once, there was a cat I caught 3 times.
Why should I waste my time running cats to the pound.
If I can catch the same animals over, and the owners dont learn or care.

Woohooo... we have a genuine wildlife warrior on our hands. I thank you for the service your doing :rolleyes:.

Sarcastic, lmfao.

And you guys probably wonder why snake and reptile keepers have a bad reputation in public, no one in there right mind thinks if they find a cat on their property they have the right to kill it on the spot.

In New Zealand various rural councils offer rewards/bounties for feral animals which include wild cats dogs possums and ferrets, and there are very few reptile keepers in NZ
Bird populations in those areas are much higher than in surrounding areas

This discussion has zero to do with weather or not the feral animal trappers are reptiles owners but everything to do with conservation

I have pictured 3 Wedged Blazed Rats, one Mink, one Cinnamon and an Agouti.
These rats get sold to the pet trade, people pay me $30 a rat to keep as a pets.
Is a cats life more important than one of these rats?

Well, that's a bit strange is'nt it. You seem to understand that people keep rats as pets. Some people will kill a rat on site as well. Are you OK with that as well? By the sounds of it you kill the cats cause their eating into your profit (literally). So a cats life is worth less than $30?

I'm glad you were taking the cats to the pound... continue to do so instead of killing on site, then I'm all for it.

In New Zealand various rural councils offer rewards/bounties for feral animals which include wild cats dogs possums and ferrets, and there are very few reptile keepers in NZ
Bird populations in those areas are much higher than in surrounding areas

This discussion has zero to do with weather or not the feral animal trappers are reptiles owners but everything to do with conservation

Key word in there is FERAL animals Longqi, this discussion is relating to cats in suburbia, it has even been acknowledged these traps don't work well on Feral Cats.

If a cat ends up in the trap, I will kill it.

I feel sorry for you andy, I really do but there is no point explaining why .... it's like the desexed dog, you know. You just never know, you may come to some harm yourself. Do you wonder around at night?

I have pictured 3 Wedged Blazed Rats, one Mink, one Cinnamon and an Agouti.
These rats get sold to the pet trade, people pay me $30 a rat to keep as a pets.
Is a cats life more important than one of these rats?

If one of my neighbors lets their cat out of a night and it ***** my lab tubs over killing a few dozen rats.
What am I to do?

When I started trapping Cats, I took them to the pound.
I caught the same Cat 3 times over a few months, the owner paid the fine twice and didnt learn.
The 3rd time I made sure the cat would never return.
Now, no cat returns to my property.

What you dont understand Michael, THIS IS MY HOUSE, If you love your cat keep it off my land.
I dont go and hunt cats around my neighborhood, I set a trap in front of my rat racks.
If a cat ends up in the trap, I will kill it.

Mate you have every right to trap a pet on your property and you have my respect but if you kill the animal without any disregard (not cool) If you own a snake and it got out and your next door neighbours put a shovel in it would that be cool? Are you abiding by your council rules? Are you breaking the local laws? This thread is about responsible pet ownership and hopefully educating the owners not to make the same poor decisions over and over.

Peace and we do not condone any unnecesary cruelty to animals than we have to.

Thats the thing, at the start I was taking the cats to the pound, only to have the same cat killing my animals again and again.
So No, I no longer take them to the pound.

Here is an example, a friend of mine had an outdoor pit with Bluies, Beardies and Turtles.
A cat jumped into the pit and killed all his lizards and one of the turtles.
He borrowed my trap, caught the cat and took in to the pound.

Over a few months he got some more lizards and his pit looked great.
Then the same cat got back into the pit and killed everything again.

The owners paid the fine and continued to let the cat roam.
My mate no longer keeps reptiles.

All my rats are secure, all my reptiles are secure, my dog lives inside (only goes out to the toilet).
I am a RESPONSIBLE PET OWNER.
If a cat owner is responsible and keeps their pet locked up.
Their pet is safe from harm and safe from causing harm.

If they are not responsible, I will not be held responsible.

OK then, say instead of keeping Cats (an introduced species) as pets, we kept Spotted Quoll (Tiger Quoll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), Australia's largest native carnivorous mammal, the closest thing I could find to a Cat that is native. Would all of your reactions be the same? Or what if it was a wild Quoll attacking your rodents or your mate's lizards, would you just trap and kill it too because it shouldn't be on your property???

WHy can't people just be nice for **** sake
We have had dogs come in our yard just coz it not my pet does't mean LETS KILL THIS DOG!
We just go around and take them back to the owners and they say thanks heaps END OF STORY
Not like if it comes back ill get my double barrel shot gum out
we have had cats what fight with my cats my house has no frences and if there is a cat we just clap are hands and it runs away and does't come back

Just hell ****** me off when people are mean to cats.

I feel sorry for you andy, I really do but there is no point explaining why .... it's like the desexed dog, you know. You just never know, you may come to some harm yourself. Do you wonder around at night?

LMAO Michael,
Yes, I have been known to walk to the shops after dark,
Im 6 foot 1, 125 kilo and been kick boxing for the better part of a decade.
Im not to worried about harm coming to me, then again,
I dont go on other peoples properties to kill animals for no reason, CATS DO!!!

Once again, I have tried taking cats to the pound, DID NOT WORK.
What would you suggest?
btw I have also caught and killed a fox in one of my traps, anyone have issues with that?

WHy can't people just be nice for **** sake
We have had dogs come in our yard just coz it not my pet does't mean LETS KILL THIS DOG!
We just go around and take them back to the owners and they say thanks heaps END OF STORY
Not like if it comes back ill get my double barrel shot gum out
we have had cats what fight with my cats my house has no frences and if there is a cat we just clap are hands and it runs away and does't come back

Just hell ****** me off when people are mean to cats.

I have had problems with Cats coming on my land and killing my animals.
Sorry but if your cat came on my land and killed my animals, I would not return it to you for it to come back and kill again.

OK then, say instead of keeping Cats (an introduced species) as pets, we kept Spotted Quoll (Tiger Quoll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), Australia's largest native carnivorous mammal, the closest thing I could find to a Cat that is native. Would all of your reactions be the same? Or what if it was a wild Quoll attacking your rodents or your mate's lizards, would you just trap and kill it too because it shouldn't be on your property???

?????????????????????????????

Last edited:
?????????????????????????????

Well presumably much of the justification you and others have is that the Cat is an introduced species, hence not a natural threat to our native animals, but what if it was a native species that attacked your pets or your mates pets, would your reaction be the same? Simple question mate.

Thats sad, and posting a picture of what is obviously a domestic cat and some ones pet is even sadder. I can't find a link but I will ring DSI tomorrow. I am pretty certain you need to hand them over to animal control unless you are in the country or you life is at risk, and as you are such a manly man I doubt that is the case. Whats even sadder still is it is all about your rats, that are just dollar signs to you anyway, and nothing to do with native wildlife. I feel sorry for your rats and your neighbours cats and you in a way.

This needs to get deleted
People are goanna have fights and it gonna g on till page 100000000000000000000000000
people now just wanna kill..

Nah everyone is still being nice enough, haven't resorted to too much name calling yet. Heated debate is healthy.

just a crazy idea take the cats to the pound say twice then i can understand been frustrated enough to do something a little more permanent. but jeez at least give people the benifit of the doubt also put a little note on the cats that you turn in sayin if i catch it again you wont get it back etc im sure people will start keeping their pets inside. also if people know who to come see you might just be a little less inclined to kill the on the spot

Well presumably much of the justification you and others have is that the Cat is an introduced species, hence not a natural threat to our native animals, but what if it was a native species that attacked your pets or your mates pets, would your reaction be the same? Simple question mate.

A number of years ago there was a major problem with rats killing water birds in a Sanctuary near Townsville
They couldnt poison them
I used a light enhancing scope and subsonics and knocked off about 40 one night
Next morning found out they were white tails that were doing the damage
We had to leave them alone
Used other methods that did not include death

I presume any native animal that attacked his rats would be treated as a native animal and released
But a cat is not a native animal so the question is out of context

If a Spotted Quoll was on license, due to its nature, there would be heavy restrictions on keeping one as a pet.
there would be major requirements on caging.

Yes cats have the same nature as a Spotted Quoll and if there were tighter restrictions on them, this thread would not exist.

If a Spotted Quoll was on license, due to its nature, there would be heavy restrictions on keeping one as a pet.
there would be major requirements on caging.

The Quoll was just the closest thing I could find to a Cat that is native, putting aside its nature, my point was that I think you would react differently if it was a native as a pet that was causing the damage, am I right?

I presume any native animal that attacked his rats would be treated as a native animal and released
But a cat is not a native animal so the question is out of context

But what would be the difference between a native animal as a pet and a cat as a pet? Shouldn't his treatment of both be the same if it is the same irresponsibility of the pets owner that has caused the damage?

Whats even sadder still is it is all about your rats, that are just dollar signs to you anyway, and nothing to do with native wildlife. I feel sorry for your rats and your neighbours cats and you in a way.

1st of all, I now have a lot of Native wild life on my land.
2nd, the rats are not just dollar signs to me, they are a food source to my reptiles, and any rat pet sales, goes into the care of all my animals.
3rd, on a larger scale, if a big dog jumps the fence into your yard and attacks you dog, cat or child.
it gets put down. This is smaller scale but the same thing.
An animal that is not mine jumps the fence into my yard and attacks/kills my animals smaller than it.
4th, Dont feel sorry for me, it makes my laugh.

But what would be the difference between a native animal as a pet and a cat as a pet? Shouldn't his treatment of both be the same if it is the same irresponsibility of the pets owner that has caused the damage?

Your are right to a point, if a Tiger Snake was on my property and got into my Rats for a feed,
I would let it have its fill (1 or 2 rats) and move on.
The thing is, I have had a cat come on MY PROPERTY, and kill 200 rats and 20 rabbits just for fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back