Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the members who own cats.. how many have cat runs outside for their cats?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • no cat run but kept inside

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Step 6. See a doctor and get rid of the paranoia. You just caught someone's loving pet and your action has done bugger all to save wildlife because there are hundreds other cats and there is only one of you.

Step 7. Give yourself a medal - you're a hero.

well said :) lol

Your are right to a point, if a Tiger Snake was on my property and got into my Rats for a feed,
I would let it have its fill (1 or 2 rats) and move on.
The thing is, I have had a cat come on MY PROPERTY, and kill 200 rats and 20 rabbits just for fun.

I know this is a tricky issue and there is no right or wrong answer.

I am sorry that you have lost so many animals to cats and I'm in no way condoning owners that let their cats roam unsupervised, however I just can't fathom you thinking it's acceptable behaviour to now kill any Cat that you trap with no warning to the owner. It's just not on.

Last edited:
I have noticed that some people take bits out of my post and are not seeing the whole picture.

The trapped cat in the photo I posted killed 100's of my animals.
The 1st time I trapped it, I did take it to the pound,
the owner paid the fine and continued to let it roam free of a night.

That Cat was now trap shy, It wouldnt go near the trap but continued to kill.
It continued to come onto my land, it continued to kill my animals.
I asked the owner to keep it in doors and off my property (that feel on deaf ears),

Due to it being trap shy, It took over 6 months and 100's more dead rats before I caught it again.

After all that, would any of you let it go anain, only to continue to return and kill your animals.
If you say yes to that, You are the irresponsible pet owner, not me.

ONCE YOU TRAP A CAT ONCE, ITS VERY HARD TO TRAP IT TWICE.
If you let it go, you might as well kill your own pets for fun yourself.

I know this is a tricky issue and there is no right or wrong answer.

I am sorry that you have lost so many animals to cats and I'm in now way condoning owners that let their cats roam unsupervised, however I just can't fathom you thinking it's acceptable behaviour to now kill any Cat that you trap with no warning to the owner. It's just not on.

Exactly. Dont let your pets roam unsupervised. I dont condome the killing of any pets unless its with state or local legislation. Across the board we have an obligation to provide proper husbandry and housing of pets under our responsibilites. Owning a pet is a priveldge not a right. If you cannot see the logic in this then I look forward to catching your pet on my property.

In that case I can see your justification, you gave warnings and you gave second chances and the owner did not comply.

However, you have also stated now that any cat you trap will be killed. That's where you lose me.

The Quoll was just the closest thing I could find to a Cat that is native, putting aside its nature, my point was that I think you would react differently if it was a native as a pet that was causing the damage, am I right?
But what would be the difference between a native animal as a pet and a cat as a pet? Shouldn't his treatment of both be the same if it is the same irresponsibility of the pets owner that has caused the damage?

a few posts back andy pointed out if we were allowed to keep quolls caging would be enforced to keep them restricted. and theres no validity in comparing a quoll and a cat because quoll owners (if your were allowed to keep them) would not be letting there quoll roam the neighbourhood at night like irresponsible cat owners do..

the argument is turning into whether its ok to kill the cats or not if they come on your property etc BUT the real issue is why cant cat owners be responsible and keep their pets restricted to THEIR OWN PROPERTY in cat runs or inside the house?? if this were the case then this thread wouldnt exist AND we wouldnt be arguing about if its ok to kill the cats or not etc.. lets not loose site of this issue

why cant cat owners keep their animals on their OWN property and restrict them - like snake owners do like rat owners do like dog owners (mostly do) why not?

If you let it go, and the owner dosnt care (100% of cat owners in my area),
you might as well kill your own pets for fun yourself,
because If I let it go there is a 100% cance it will return to my house and kill again.

Where do I stop, do I sell up all my Reptiles, all of my Rats, Rabbits ect.
Do I not keep a single pet for myself because of neighborhood Cats.
Or do I make a stand?

a few posts back andy pointed out if we were allowed to keep quolls caging would be enforced to keep them restricted. and theres no validity in comparing a quoll and a cat because quoll owners (if your were allowed to keep them) would not be letting there quoll roam the neighbourhood at night like irresponsible cat owners do..

the argument is turning into whether its ok to kill the cats or not if they come on your property etc BUT the real issue is why cant cat owners be responsible and keep their pets restricted to THEIR OWN PROPERTY in cat runs or inside the house?? if this were the case then this thread wouldnt exist AND we wouldnt be arguing about if its ok to kill the cats or not etc.. lets not loose site of this issue

why cant cat owners keep their animals on their OWN property and restrict them - like snake owners do like rat owners do like dog owners (mostly do) why not?

If you were a chick Collin, Id give ya a kiss.

I have noticed that some people take bits out of my post and are not seeing the whole picture.

The trapped cat in the photo I posted killed 100's of my animals.
The 1st time I trapped it, I did take it to the pound,
the owner paid the fine and continued to let it roam free of a night.

That Cat was now trap shy, It wouldnt go near the trap but continued to kill.
It continued to come onto my land, it continued to kill my animals.
I asked the owner to keep it in doors and off my property (that feel on deaf ears),

Due to it being trap shy, It took over 6 months and 100's more dead rats before I caught it again.

After all that, would any of you let it go anain, only to continue to return and kill your animals.
If you say yes to that, You are the irresponsible pet owner, not me.

If you let it go, you might as well kill your own pets for fun yourself.

Thats all well and good but that is not the only cat you've trapped and you now have a zero tolerance rule meaning, if someones cat does get out by accident, say mine for instance, you would kill him without giving me a chance to reclaim it. The worst thing about that is, it is bad enough knowing your animal has been killed, even worse is when they just don't come home and you never know what happened. I think if you are going to kill peoples pets without giving them a chance to fix the situation, you should be man enough to take their dead pet home to them and explain yourself.

the argument is turning into whether its ok to kill the cats or not if they come on your property etc BUT the real issue is why cant cat owners be responsible and keep their pets restricted to THEIR OWN PROPERTY in cat runs or inside the house?? if this were the case then this thread wouldnt exist AND we would be arguing about if its ok to kill the cats or not etc.. lets not loose site of this issue

Agreed the Quoll comparison was flawed, just the closest I could come with a native animal. My point was to see if Andy's reaction to a native pet would be different to an introduced pet, both subject to the same irresponsible owners.

I am agreeing that cat owners shouldn't let their cats roam the neighbourhood unsupervised and without responsibility for their pets actions. I'm just questioning the appropriateness of Andy's kill on the spot reaction and trying to see whether his actions are somewhat prejudiced by an underlying dislike for Cats (whether justified or not).

Thanks Colin, again well put. It is so easy for posters to jump on the how dare you thread.
Thanks for keeping this thread under the wraps of what it is about Responsible pet ownership. Everyone is entitled to opinions but at the end of the day abide by APS rules and local laws.

Thanks Colin, again well put. It is so easy for posters to jump on the how dare you thread.
Thanks for keeping this thread under the wraps of what it is about Responsible pet ownership. Everyone is entitled to opinions but at the end of the day abide by APS rules and local laws.

Agreed, we have done well for the thread to last this long. The base issue is responsible pet ownership, but it must also deal with appropriate reaction to irresponsible pet ownership, as it is your reaction that started the discussion.

Agreed the Quoll comparison was flawed, just the closest I could come with a native animal. My point was to see if Andy's reaction to a native pet would be different to an introduced pet, both subject to the same irresponsible owners.

I am agreeing that cat owners shouldn't let their cats roam the neighbourhood unsupervised and without responsibility for their pets actions. I'm just questioning the appropriateness of Andy's kill on the spot reaction and trying to see whether his actions are somewhat prejudiced by an underlying dislike for Cats (whether justified or not).

but that is the whole point Im trying to make!! :D If cat owners were responsible and kept their animals restricted to their own property then we wouldnt be discussing the appropriateness or not or andy disposing of them or trapping them and taking them to the pound etc..

thats the whole issue as I see it.. there is no problem with cats kept restricted on their own property.
the problem is with the irresponsible owners who dont do this and thinks its their god given right their animals can roam and do whatever.. these owners are the problem more than the cats..

I have no problem with Cats, I have friends that own Cats,
During visits to their house I have had their cat sit on my lap,
Andy has even patted it, lol.

My issue is, not a few, but all of the cat owners in my area,
let their cats live out side 24/7.
The cats within my house get feed out side, sleep out side, live out side.
I have talked to my neighbors until I was blue in the face,
they did not change their ways.

The mentality I have about it has taken years of loosing my own animals.
I have tried wires hooked up to a car battery,
I have tried using products that clam to rid cats off your property (smelly crystals, forget the name).
I have done the pound thing.

Ive had enough, Cat owners have their head so far up their own ....
They just wont/dont listen.

but that is the whole point Im trying to make!! :D If cat owners were responsible and kept their animals restricted to their own property then we wouldnt be discussing the appropriateness or not or andy disposing of them or trapping them and taking them to the pound etc..

thats the whole issue as I see it.. there is no problem with cats kept restricted on their own property.
the problem is with the irresponsible owners who dont do this and this its their god given right their animals can roam and do whatever.. these owners are the problem more than the cats..

But we are never going to have 100% responsible Cat owners, just as we don't have 100% responsible reptile owners! So there always needs to be some thought given to the appropriate response to irresponsible ownership.

I have no problem with Cats, I have friends that own Cats,
During visits to their house I have had their cat sit on my lap,
Andy has even patted it, lol.

LOL, it's good to see we all (well not all, but most) still have a sense of humour in this thread.

Last edited:
But we are never going to have 100% responsible Cat owners, just as we don't have 100% responsible reptile owners! So there always needs to be some thought given to the appropriate response to irresponsible ownership.
Hence why I started this thread.

Hence why I started this thread.

Yep, agreed and I don't have an issue with what you are doing. I think taking the cat back to it's owner (provided it has ID on it) the first time would be better than straight to the pound, but that's just what I would hope someone would do for my Cat if she ever got out.

Im hungry, time for dinner be back in 30 minutes or so.
I feel like Dim-Sims.

Oooooooooook then?

well maybe these irresponsible cat owners who let their animals wander shouldnt be allowed to keep them? if their cat gets trapped and taken to the pound and they get it back they should be made to get a cat run and keep the animal restricted.. and this should be inspected by council.

if they dont they loose their cat and the right to keep a cat for say a year like losing your drivers licence.. in this time if they illegally get another cat $2500 fine and cat gets destroyed and a 5 year ban on keeping them.

a courteous polite well meaning discussion wont sway selfish irresponsible people but if you fine them and impose restrictions maybe they will wake up.. they do it with driving licences why not with cats?

the problem is with the irresponsible owners who dont do this and thinks its their god given right their animals can roam and do whatever.. these owners are the problem more than the cats..

I agree that cat owners need to be responsible, but, just as reptile keepers occasionally loose a snake/lizard, cat owners that are responsible occasionally loose a cat. To say any cat running around after dark is either feral or belongs to someone that doesn't care enough to be responsible is not taking into consideration the fact that accidents do happen.

well maybe these irresponsible cat owners who let their animals wander shouldnt be allowed to keep them? if their cat gets trapped and taken to the pound and they get it back they should be made to get a cat run and keep the animal restricted.. and this should be inspected by council.

if they dont they loose their cat and the right to keep a cat for say a year like losing your drivers licence.. in this time if they illegally get another cat $2500 fine and cat gets destroyed and a 5 year ban on keeping them.

a courteous polite well meaning discussion wont sway selfish irresponsible people but if you fine them and impose restrictions maybe they will wake up.. they do it with driving licences why not with cats?

I don't disagree with your ideas and I think that a licence style system for all pets would be a good way to go as long as getting a licence wasn't just a case of filling in a form, it needs to make sure you have some knowledge of how to care for the animal and what your responsibilities are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back