The things we do for our pets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 16446

Reaction score
I've been working on a new castle themed hide box for larger snakes. Pictures show one of two I've already built, which feature a basking roof and lookout tower which can host a plant or also provides access from inside to the roof.

Anyway, as I was working on the large version, which will measure 400mm long x 300mm wide and 250mm high internally....there was a bind in the job, then the table saw kicked it loose and I felt a tingle in my middle finger. This wasn't going to be nice.

There was no loud verbal "...***AAARRK...", rather it was a more mellow "Oh S#!^" and a knock on the neighbor's door..."please drive me to hospital or call an ambulance.

9 hours later and under heavy anaesthesia, I had reconstructive surgery performed. The finger had been opened up from the fingernail to finger print.

Ironically I'd built two in the past, and tried what I thought would be a safer method. A safety guard was not in use as it was not possible for the work that had to be done.....cutting slots for the castle wall crenulations.

No pictures taken yet. Not only am I not happy with what I've done, but the images may be too graphically extreme for posting here. I'm sure most of you will find the description is enough though. As serious as it looks, thankfully it never hurt any more than a light tap on the end with a hammer.

Anyway, the job wasn't damaged so I can't wait to get back into it.

Attachments

• DSC02831.jpg
    DSC02831.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Glad to hear you still have a finger, even though you've tried to do a bit of remodeling on it :)

Thankfully I've never come close to drawing blood while using the array of power tools - touch wood, throw salt over my shoulder and anything else I can think of, I'm planning on some router work on the weekend

Damn that sounds extremely painful,hope it wasn't your trigger finger.My advice for safer operation of the table saw,get someone else to use it.

OUCH!
Hope its all good now my dad has done many thing last week he **** his finger in the car door and the door closed fully,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you can geuss what happend
and nice hide you have some awesome skills:)

I have to re-dress the finger myself over the weekend, so I might take some photos if I can hold my mouth closed long enough. Luckily it was my middle finger on left hand. Being right handed...a big relief. A finished job feels special when it's got some blood, sweat and tears in it.

Oh dear! I used to work for hand surgeons, so have a pretty good idea what that would have looked like. You will have an interesting nail for a while. The big problem with circular saw injuries is the wide rip on the blade. It really wrecks the bone and other tissues. At least you didn't cut off the whole digit - much more trouble then. If you are having trouble with the dressing, give me a call. I won't wuss out (seen plenty of surgery) and I have pretty gentle hands. I can also take those photos for you!

OMH that so hurt Reading. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I filled my finger one time with paint. Airless spraygun. Thank god for Tech training.
All the best. Don't pick the scab..lol
Seen as mine has healed.. I'll take some pics.

Ouch! thats gotta hurt.
I considered myself thankful on the weekend when I only opened my index finger up about 7mm with using a angle grinder with a tile cutting disc on.

Thanks pythonmum, the surgeon recommended that I have assistance, and all the more better from someone with experience. It has a gooey silicon membrane over it which protects it from sticking to bandage which can be difficult to handle alone, not to mention one handed. Will be in contact.

Thanks for the comments on the hides. Looking forward to getting dusty again, lol.

Being 'banned' from the shed sucks ( been there) but the last thing you need is getting it infected. And it's too late when it happens. The hide does look great though, is it going on a similarly themed tank?

Being 'banned' from the shed sucks ( been there) but the last thing you need is getting it infected. And it's too late when it happens. The hide does look great though, is it going on a similarly themed tank?

Indeed you are right.

I've got two castle hides already in use in my stone-look 4 bay enclosure pictured in my albums. The new one will be for my fast growing anaconda bredlis. It should be big enough for most snakes, except olives, scrubbies and mutant breeds.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww, sounds like u did a horrible job on ur finger!!

if susans busy call me, i have no experience, might be a bit squeamish, but im close and have that extra set of hands too,......

ouch,..anything i can do?

ps. you should know better than to not post pics by now,...!!

I've been working on a new castle themed hide box for larger snakes. Pictures show one of two I've already built, which feature a basking roof and lookout tower which can host a plant or also provides access from inside to the roof.

Anyway, as I was working on the large version, which will measure 400mm long x 300mm wide and 250mm high internally....there was a bind in the job, then the table saw kicked it loose and I felt a tingle in my middle finger. This wasn't going to be nice.

There was no loud verbal "...***AAARRK...", rather it was a more mellow "Oh S#!^" and a knock on the neighbor's door..."please drive me to hospital or call an ambulance.

9 hours later and under heavy anaesthesia, I had reconstructive surgery performed. The finger had been opened up from the fingernail to finger print.

Ironically I'd built two in the past, and tried what I thought would be a safer method. A safety guard was not in use as it was not possible for the work that had to be done.....cutting slots for the castle wall crenulations.

No pictures taken yet. Not only am I not happy with what I've done, but the images may be too graphically extreme for posting here. I'm sure most of you will find the description is enough though. As serious as it looks, thankfully it never hurt any more than a light tap on the end with a hammer.

Anyway, the job wasn't damaged so I can't wait to get back into it.

Yea my dad last year did the same thing with the saw when building a deck out the back of their place and he was lucky they saved the finger too

Yea my dad last year did the same thing with the saw when building a deck out the back of their place and he was lucky they saved the finger too

Ouch!!

Isn't there a gore filled thread that running here a few weeks back. I contributed to it with images of the holes in my leg (resulting from a fall down the front steps)

Last edited:
ewwwwwwwwwwwwww, sounds like u did a horrible job on ur finger!!

if susans busy call me, i have no experience, might be a bit squeamish, but im close and have that extra set of hands too,......

ouch,..anything i can do?

ps. you should know better than to not post pics by now,...!!

Thanks Chris, looks like help is never far away. Not much assistance I need at the moment though, just bored with limited use of my hand. Just had 6 weeks holiday, did hardly anything, now I'll be doing even less.

Can't do any of the creative handiwork, fitness programs or weights I like doing, just as the weather here starts to improve. It is a bit difficult to cook, wash up and do other simple things though. Have to keep it dry, dust free and stress free. Get too keen and I'm reminded with a sharp sting.

Thanks Chris, looks like help is never far away. Not much assistance I need at the moment though, just bored with limited use of my hand. Just had 6 weeks holiday, did hardly anything, now I'll be doing even less.

Can't do any of the creative handiwork, fitness programs or weights I like doing, just as the weather here starts to improve. It is a bit difficult to cook, wash up and do other simple things though. Have to keep it dry, dust free and stress free. Get too keen and I'm reminded with a sharp sting.
Plenty of nice trails around here - time to take up bushwalking! Knowing you, you will be planning some improvements or a fantastic new concept enclosure. Did the Bredls, womas or water pythons breed for you? You can always obsessively check on the eggs or watch for laying behaviour:lol:

Thick dish washing gloves are not great for feeling what you are cooking, but do offer adequate protection for most simple meals. Time to experiment with cooking!

I have considered wrapping the bandage in plastic temporarily, so I can finish the hideboxes.

My big bredli has been large for some time without feeding, and the woma hasn't been fed since May, but she also seems very large but I have no idea if they're gravid or not. I've never been able to tell the difference between a fat snake or a gravid one. Mine aren't overfed, (one feeding a month) so that rules out fat snakes, but they've been large for so long. If they were gravid, eggs should have come out ages ago.

Experimenting with cooking costs me a fortune, and the bin normally gets the meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back