Is it ok to breed two snakes from the same brood?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleManSam

Reaction score
Hello :)

I was wondering whether it would be ok to breed two snake from the same brood? Also can anyone help discuss why people incubate eggs? I would have though mummy snake could manage her eggs?

Thank :)

Breeding related snakes will increase selected trates but also defects if there are any.

Most enclosures don't have the wide range of available laying sites that "mummy snake" would have in the wild , so we incubate- I am not saying that "mummy snake" would not hatch her eggs but it's a safer bet if you want all the eggs to hatch.

hehe "mummy snake" I am going to keep saying that today now....

^ as said above.

Letting her "sit" on her eggs means she'll need to be closely monitored. She'll lose weight, condition, become dehydrated... all that fun stuff.

Additional to above, artificially incubating the eggs will allow "mummy snake" to resume feeding sooner. This will ensure she can put on enough condition for the next cooling and potential breeding in the following season.

right, so if you let mummy snake "sit" on her eggs, she will become less healthy etc, so incubation, how does it all work, I dont understand how people do it.

In breeding has what has given us the various colour patterns that are available now
How good it is for the breed may take a few more generations to discover

Its fine breeding from the same brood/clutch,This Is how you produced reduved patterns but not year after year If you would let the mummy snake sit on her eggs seeing they are coldbloded they need to generate heat by shivering or twitching there bodies to keep the eggs warm this is considerdered unhealthy for the snake and in the wild Im sure they would loose much of there weight and conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back