Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the members who own cats.. how many have cat runs outside for their cats?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • no cat run but kept inside

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like i said before, i like cats and can see the attraction for them as they are beautiful animals.
Just dont want someone elses in my yard, scaring and damaging the native birds, lizards snakes and small mammals
I wouldnt kill someones pet if i found it in a trap but i would take it to the pound.

The problem there Baz, is that once you trap a cat and take it to the pound, the owner gets a slap on the wrist and the fine is paid. That cat will return to your yard, that cat will kill again, That cat Will NOT go anywhere near your set trap again.

Also on the cat bells for collars, it dosnt realy help the Tiger Snakes.
I didnt look at you you tube link, I know how much it would p... .. ..f and that would get transfered into my post.

Irresponsible cat owners are basically ignorant people, often incapable of rational reasoning, so educating them may well be a waste of time. Regional Councils should set up strict rules (no more than 2 cats per household, all desexed, cat run facility, etc.)

Thank you Michael, that describes every cat owner in my area.
That is why I do what I do.

Last edited:
if cat owners had a collar with several bells on it around the cats neck the sound might alert birds of the cats presence..
We tried that when we had outdoor cats in Dubai as they always caught pigeons, but it didnt work.

That's right belled cats work it out. As for cats being kept inside at night... if you read my earlier posts i have already mentioned that cats are nocturnal hunters just as much as they are diurnal hunters. Day or night makes no difference. They must be caged 24/7.

Good clip Baz, that shows it exactly how it is. i notice that the owner only has concerns for his cat... and you (of course). Its a typical cat attack scenario, I know you were choking up having to look at him and explain his cats chances, but you remained calm put no crap on him and got out and did what had to be done. Thanks for putting that up mate, the truth and actual reality comes along at last!! How many times in a season do we see this? It is just as I described in my posts earlier, so good to see it appear on here, bad for the snake but maybe that snake has just changed the way a few people think, and that's a good death. Was that a night or day attack?

Cages for cats 24/7. No exceptions. Cages can be as big as you like, they can be your entire house plus. Screen in the verandah etc,etc. A cage doesn't have to be like a little jail, use your imagination and make it whatever you want, just make sure it works.

We just need more responsible cat owners. I love cats, and have four- they are indoors 24/7, never allowed out unless on a harness with me. All four are desexed, vaccinated, microchipped, registered etc. The house is essentially theirs as there are toys, tunnels, scratching posts, and a huge 'cat gym' I made for them.

They were raised as indoor cats and learnt to walk on a harness at a very early age- they know no different, they're safe, the local wildlife are safe, and my cats don't annoy the neighbours whatso ever.

I know cats do a lot of damage to the local wildlife, can be absolute pests etc, but don't forget dogs either- dogs still have a natural instinct to hunt and kill, and will do so given the opportunity. You might be very surprised to know just how many wildlife (birds, reptiles, mammals) are brought into veterinary clinics I've been to due to dog attacks. People who let their dogs wander, kill wildlife etc. are just as a bad as cat owners.

We just need responsible animal owners full stop.

I know all my neighbours and they are cool with cats they times see them walking around and they pat them
i fell really lucky where i live
about the run
i have 2 cats
they sleep out silde i live on 1 akar so they have room to do stuff

i fell really lucky where i live
about the run
i have 2 cats
they sleep out silde i live on 1 akar so they have room to do stuff

I'll bet the native animals don't feel as lucky,

I'm pretty sure this thread is actually about the stuff your cats are doing......

Kitah - you're right about dogs - remember last year a an in Cairns was charged with animal cruelty after shooting a dog attacking a group of wallabies. The man had done the right thing, and it was his neighbours dog. Unfortunately he didn't kill the dog in one shot. I can't recall the outcome of this case.

But, when you look at house dogs vs run around cats, I'd say the numbers favour the purely carnivorous cats.

I know this is Australia - but also other countries around the world suffer at the hand of the domestic feline. Even your neighbours where I am, cats destroy the native wildlife. Our fantails are fearless (much like willy wagtails) and cats unfortunately are quicker!

There's plenty of large flightless birds which are easy prey for the cats too.

Numbers of skinks and geckos plus frogs etc... So we're not immune to the effects of the cat over here either!

If I could go back to when Europeans began inhabiting these lands I think I'd put up much stronger opposition to bringing in cats, rabbits, foxes etc! We'd have very different countries right now if that had happened!

But - we can't go back. So we're stuck with it. And the numbers of irresponsible cat owners probably out numbers the number of responsible ones. So it's not even a case of a few ruining it for the masses.

Really, I go back to the first post of this thread, and I don't necessarily agree entirely with the method, I also believe that the hero (that Michael so likes to call him) did exactly the right thing!

Though, in the long run, maybe it changes nothing... But if (and eventually it will) there is a change to the owner of the cat and hopefully their behaviour and awareness - then this is a success. Just have to change the world by one poor cat owner at a time!

Good luck to your crusade all of you who wish to make the word a safer place for all native animals!

Just been reading a thread on another forum that explains the attitude of a lot of cat owners perfectly.It's another reason why I feel no compunction towards trapping cats and having them shipped off to the pound.Basically the poster inherited a cat from their neighbour.

This is what they wrote
"We don't lock him indoors and is free to do what he likes (except at night)"

"He's a good ratter ... particularly after the floods and we live near the city on a hill."

"Moved house, took cat. Locked cat indoors for 20 minutes before nagging got too much and let him outside (norwegian forest cat – really likes the outdoors). He sniffed around the house for about 10 minutes before he took off over the back fence and into the bush. I was pretty worried at this point.

Came home 3 hours later for feeding time. Had a quick nap before taking off outside to climb trees. He likes trees. Only problem now is how to stop him from drinking out of the chlorine pool."

Last edited:
lol, doesnt surprise me at all Ramsayi,...

a guy at work moved from coogee to randwick, and his cat went missing. After 2 weeks he was all excited that his cat had been missing frlo 2 weeks, was hoping it wouldnt find its way home,..

2 weeks after that (so 1 months since it went missing) his wife found it crying in an alley and brought it home, he was so disappointed.

now the cat wont leave the house any mre cos its experience freaked it out and hes spewing that theres no way of getting rid of it without having to make that decision himself,...

while it looks like APS has mroe responsible cat owners than irresponsible ones, i doubt thats the trend overall,.....

In the big cities like London the cat was always put out at night.
"dont forget to put the cat out" was the catch-cry, lol.
This was fine in England where rodents carried diseases and parasites ect and the native animals in the city were few and far between..
Now since white man has been in Australia, bringing all the European farming traditions and customs''
this part of cat ownership hasnt changed much.
Most farms, meat dairy and agricultural, have free ranging cats that do control rodents but also take a fair share of natives as well.
I think if a small part of the school carriculem could include a "responsible pet ownership" module a change would be evident in the next generation or so.

Kuching (Malay word for cat) is the main city of Sarawak, Borneo, where cats are tolerated by all the local people (and visitors). You see them everywhere whether you like it or not. A great rehabilitation place for Aussie cat haters. You harm (trap) their cats and you meet the head-hunters of Borneo. lol

i-jwKJkkb-M.jpg
i-r7mQhk9-S.jpg

Kuching (Malay word for cat) is the main city of Sarawak, Borneo, where cats are tolerated by all the local people (and visitors). You see them everywhere whether you like it or not. A great rehabilitation place for Aussie cat haters. You harm (trap) their cats and you meet the head-hunters of Borneo. lol

Aren't cats native to Asia though? If they are, then really, this is completely out of place - Cats are not native to Australia and they destroy native wildlife.

Cats are an AWESOME animal, I doubt many dispute that - but in their native lands they're even in danger - in their non-native lands - they're a pest. Huge difference Michael - HUGE difference!

I went to Kuching several years ago, really nice place, people are friendly and it is cheap (recomend), Just dont bother looking for much wildlife in the city, there is bugger all. :)

I went to Kuching several years ago, really nice place, people are friendly and it is cheap (recomend), Just dont bother looking for much wildlife in the city, there is bugger all. :)

Would'nt mind going... my sister in law went a few years back. She said they had a fantastic bird/zoo sanctuary (or maybe that was another place in Malaysia?). Anyway she also had nice things to say about Kuching, then again she does worship cats.

Last edited:
It's reasons such as this that I don't want any cat in my suburban yard.

045.jpg

041.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_0997800x600.jpg

I think if a small part of the school carriculem could include a "responsible pet ownership" module a change would be evident in the next generation or so.

I agree. It is very hard to change the mind set of the older generation BUT there is hope for the younger generation. Let's hope anyway..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back