Growth on frog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordanmulder

Reaction score
I found a growth on a wild L.peroni and I am interested to find out what you people think It is. I got some good shots of this individual actualy but you will all have to wait to see those
so do any of you know what the growth is?

PA170907-Copy.jpg

I'm gonna go for some kind of abscess, probably a bacterial infection. If they're not able to get the right environmental factors like heat and water, or even overstressing, frogs are very susceptible to stuff like that, because their skin is so permeable so the immune system is all that protects them. In the wrong condition the immune system can be the first thing to be affected.

Looks like an endoparasite. Probably skin worm of some kind.

Yep.

It probably wont function at 100% (although probably near to it). It is prettysilly for a parasite to kill its host.
Sorry but that is not correct. Where the parasitic organism is passing eggs or live offspring out of a host it will frequently utilise so muchof the host’s resources or do so much tissue damage migrating to different organs in undergoing stage changes, that the host is debilitated beyond repair. For example, the tapeworm mentioned earlier,
Spirometra erinaceii,is usually fatal. What can also happen is the parasite load becomes too great for host to maintain and it starts to go downhill. Other odd things can happen, like lung nematodes getting too large and then blocking the airway when they try to migrate to the digestive tract, suffocating the host in the process – this can occur in thin snakes because snakes only have a single active lung and the airway tube can be very narrow.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is soft to the touch and you can push the centre down to the normal body level while the rest bulges out around it, that would indicate a fluid filled cavity = probably an abcess as described by CamdeJong.

If it is soft to the touch and fairly fluid but with a solid feeling core = probably a parasitic worm living under the skin.

If it is hard to the touch and cannot be pushed in at all = probably an outgrowth of bone i.e. deformed backbone.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back