Looking to get rid of snakes in a residential area

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelby123

Reaction score
Hi, Firstly I apologise if a similar message has been posted before or if I am in the wrong forum!

I'm seeking some help/advice about removing snakes (You will not see me going near them myself).
There is a vastly overgrown area in my yard (suburbia) which we have recently spotted 2 (potentially more) Brown snakes, one is 2m long (I'm not sure if this is big for the species but wow!).
So of course we wish to remove them (there is a hall facility bordering on the yard where lots of children go so they are all quite concerned).
To get to the point, I have encountered a catch 22 in trying to remove them - the snake catcher says there is no point in him coming until the area is cleared otherwise he won't be able to find the snakes however any garden maintenance or clean up crews refuse to come until the snakes are gone...I'm sure you can see why I'm getting a bit desperate.
In short does anyone know of a gardening/clean-up company who would be willing to do this work knowing there are snakes? Or really just any suggestions of what to do in this situation?
Any response is appreciated!

Shelby

Get a roll of fine snake mesh and put it along the bottom of the hall fence, that way the snakes stay out and the kids stay safe.

just leave them...theyre coming out of hibernation and are very aggressive (looking for a feed and a root) any potential human threat will aggravate them more...best thing to do is just leave it..plus they are a valued member (although not well tolerated) part of the ecosystem...

Your concern is understandable but try not to worry too much as they are not going to attack you.

Are you in a position where you can start to clear the area yourself? If so just start in one corner and slowly work your way around as that will give the snakes a chance to move off before you encounter them.

Where are you located by the way?

.....or more like: "the kids stay out and the snake stays safe"

"of course we wish to remove them"

I fail to see the inevitability. They were here before we were. Unless you have kids that play there, I would let them be.

Lesson, kids: keep your backyard clean ;)

Any response is appreciated!
Shelby
28insap.jpg

I can see you're point, You can tell you're kid's not to touch the cookie jar as many times as you like but eventually curiosity gives in & at the risk bite to a small child well that alone would be devastating regardless of wether it was a VEN or not.

Why don't you arrange both to come out on the same day ie; Gardener comes out to clean garden whilst snake catcher subsequently catches the snakes as they are revealed +i'm sure the gardener will feel more re assured knowing there is a "professional" within yelling distance.

Good luck anyway.

I can understand your concern
Although there is a policy of 'leave them alone' on this site; when there is a very real potential danger to kids that changes things

Snakes will try to escape before attacking anything that isnt food
So slowly clear the area starting in one spot and working in
As their home turf gets smaller they will move somewhere else

As mentioned before good idea to landscape the back yard a bit if you are not keen on things without legs

Look man; just call a gardener- DON'T tell them about the snakes, and let them do their thing- the snakes will take off with the noise and you kill two birds ....figuratively. It's not as if the gardener is going to accuse you of harboring two snakes and not disclosing their presence, is he. Just have a phone handy in case one of them is bitten.

Please don't kill two birds.

Just think: "What would Barry White do ?"

Brother don't be messin wit no snake.

funny thing is i totally said that with a barry white voice...

OR
for those fans of ER
What would Doug Ross Do
ixgtqd.jpg

*drools a little*

Growing up my old man was all " The only good snake blah blah blah..."
We had some land grazing cattle and sheep, that backed on to the river.
Red Bellies and Browns were regulars.
I wouldn't tell him if I saw them, I'd just raise my voice or distract him.
"Looks like some grass is flattened out over there, maybe a ewe in trouble?"

Where are you located.. ?
Im sure some snake loving weirdo from this forum would pop around clear your yard with out fear of snakes for some cash.

Last edited:
Snakes first feel fear when encountered by humans and their instinct is to take of and hide. Things like vibrations from you stepping/stomping should keep them out of your way.

A lawn mower is a great start to removing the hiding spots. The vibrations from the lawn mower should send most brown snakes hiding"running" . Keeping lawn low and removing loose rubble will then not be so inviting for our scaley friends.

Kids a reletivly safe, browns are a fast snake and will genrally hide well when children are runnning around playing. Now though may be a good time to learn correct first aid for snake bites if you are not already. It is of utmost importance to stay calm and apply a pressure bandage....no one in australia has died from envenomation following correct first aid.

It is also interesting that each year in aussie there are about 20 death related to horse riding accidents but less than a couple from snakes. Bee venom causes more death each year than snakes. Also only a small % of snake bites actually result in envenomation and require hospital treatment.

Good luck with all and please be assured snakes are 100 times more worried about you!! Snakes don't have an aggression emotion only fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back