Thickys+eggs help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

69blottfilms69

Reaction score
Hay im thinking of getting a male and a female thick tailed gecko.
if they decide to have have sex and she lays eggs
what do i do
they hatch in the wild without incubaters and stuff
if i just left them would they all die but i don't see why they would
if i gt a heat cord and stick it under the eggs would that make them hatch i just don't have the cash for incubaters
If anyone could help it be great!:)

If you don't have the cash for an incubator, don't get a breeding pair.. Get a pair of females. It's not right to breed them and not give the eggs optimal health and care to hatch. They hatch in the wild because that's how it's happened for millions of years, it's natural.
If you want to breed them, read up about them, read care sheets and learn how to keep and breed them, properly. Incubators can be cheap, and easy to build.

In captivity, their not given the complete natural characteristics given in the wild. Same as any reptile. Incubators are our closest replication to natural incubation of eggs.

look at building your own incubator.
If you can afford a heat cord, you can make one your self.
There is plenty of info on here and the rest of the web,

The only incubators i have seen are $400-500 bucks
Anyone got any good links to how to make your own:)

search this forum mate, there's a few ideas. a simple bar fridges or styrene boxes with a heat cord and thermostat. I've hatched many Levis eggs in a Chinese food container, with 70% sand and 30% water, sitting on a heat mat, I just adjusted the sand level to get the right temps. And sprayed with water every time it dried out a little, if it did. It's quite simple.

I'm not to familiar with Thick tails and breeding them, so it could work out different.

You need a thermostat too, they range from $100-$300.

Could i get a cheap one of ebay
so i think this is how it goes
Heat cord
then a plastic tub with lid
fill with some sand
get a smaller tub fill with sand
put eggs in
this that okay?

and what temp would it be good at?

Last edited:
Just a Chinese food container, on a heat mat, with a thermostat, with sand and water.
No second tub.

I'm not to sure for thicktails, but levis need to be incubated around 28 degrees.

you could find one on eBay, yes. But you need to get a good quality one. Like Microclimate or Habistat, they'll still set you back $80-$200.

Beware, this can be an expensive hobby, and breeding reptiles has no cheap way out.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=260731964826&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=15743163726

That should be all you need, their high quality. And a lot cheaper then I thought, very cheap. But with postage, it nears $70.

Last edited:
Ok i under stand it now cheers
Im not sure on the water part how does that work
Like im not sure where to put it

put the water with the sand, mix it together. Say you've got 1litre tub, fill in with 700grams of sand and 300mls of water.

or, for a 100ml tub, fill 70grams of sand and 30ml of water.

I incubate my milii eggs in a small snap lock container with some soaked sponge in the bottom, 2 of those plastic things that they put on pizzas to stop the lid getting cheesy and some plastic mesh from spotlight. I put the tub on the same heating that the parents get.

Can you post some pics of that please Jen. I'm struggling to visualize the cheesy holders role in this.

Can you post some pics of that please Jen. I'm struggling to visualize the cheesy holders role in this.
Rofl. Too lazy to get the camera, but the cheesy holder things sit under the plastic mesh and on top of the sponge. the eggs are on top of the mesh - which is safely away from the water/sponge (I use sponge in case they hatch without me noticing, I don't want them drowning)

how do i cool it down?

You use a thermostat....set it to the correct temp and it stays at that temp. You will need a thermostat on your heating for the parents as well.

Ah I see. Thanks.
I finally got some female milii from GD. Hoping to get some eggs this season or next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back