Looking to get first snake - advice please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

siennasmum

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forums today.

My 8 year old has been saving every cent and learning as much as she can for nearly 12 months as she desperately wants a spotted python. We a big reptile lovers but other than an abundance of water dragons in the yard have never taken the step towards owning one.

Naturally I will hold the licence and will have primary responsibility but I thought some more experienced people may be able to answer some questions for me.

1. Is there anywhere in or near brisbane you would reccommend to purchase? We want to purchase the whole set up as well as the snake.

2. We are thinking one that is about a year old rather than a newbie - would you agree? we thought it would already have feeding established and one that has been handled or is it better to have a younger one that you can raise?

3. Have you been to the scales and tails expo in Ipswich? We have heard this is a good place to purchase? So far we have avoided large pet shops other than to just have a look but if there is a reputable one I would be happy to hear about it.

4. Does the sex matter? I wasn't sure if there were any differences between owning a male or female. (we do not want to get into breeding at this stage as we would need so much more experience before we would ever consider that) but we do want a snake that is happy to be handled (my daughter is fully aware even if the snake knows her she could get a bite and would only be handling under supervision)

but lets face it even though it is her pet I am going to be crazy about it :)

I am just learning to negotiate through this site so if there is a section or forum I should read please feel free to let me know.
Thanks in advance for your help.

there are private breeders that will look after you in buying and caring for them
useually childreni, spotteds, stimmis, are all very good to handle
some poeple say sex makes a difference, the ones i know just say it depends on the individuals not the sex...
i didnt think you could buy from the expo? i know you could meet and make the purchase from the breeders but not get the actual animal from there....
welcome to aps btw

plenty of good breeders in Brisbane, check the sponsers of this site. i wouldnt recomend buying from a pet shop, go with a trusted breeder from this site. im sure you will get someone responding to your post who will have just what your looking for.. good luck, welcome to APS. cheers Tony

They have gotten the green light on being able to sell at the expo apprently, first time ever in QLD, it was in this months mag.
I would love to go and buy heaps and heaps, it would be the best place to go when looking into buying a new snake because there are so many people to help you with what you need and everything you need in one place. Glad to see the little ones getting into the swing of things my 2year old adores all our reptiles :)

Thanks everyone - this is so helpful :) my daughter is so excited once we agreed. I even did the "you sure you don't want that little kitten" test and she has stuck true to the spotted

You wouldn't find a more decent honest private breeder of fine healthy pythons than Brenton on this site.

He will go through it all with you from A to Z and is always availble for after sales chatting, he can supply the food items as well

Cheers
Sandee :)

Welcome to the forums :) and i hope you find what your after

i would get a hatchie thats about 2-3months old. only because most spotteds i've held at the one year mark are a bit snappy. keiko, my stimmie, i got from a guy off here and she is amazing... feeds everytime etc also snake ranch have their 20/20 deal and they have beautiful snakes....maybe check them out

temperament depends on the individual not the age. some get better with age and handling some do not. i think you are on the right track getting a yearling as by that stage all the kinks with feeding should be sorted. handle a few different ones and find one with a personality that you like dont just but the first thing you see. also at a year old they are a little less fragile and not as easily squished by little fingers. although im sure noone means it but as bubs they are sooo tiny.. good luck

i would get a hatchie thats about 2-3months old. only because most spotteds i've held at the one year mark are a bit snappy. keiko, my stimmie, i got from a guy off here and she is amazing... feeds everytime etc also snake ranch have their 20/20 deal and they have beautiful snakes....maybe check them out

Hatchlings are by far more bitey than yearlings/adults ....

Hatchlings are by far more bitey than yearlings/adults ....
yeah if its a jungle.....I've been tagged by a 2year old spotted 10 times so far...trying to help out a friends sister because theyre to scared to handle it as it bites....i handled a a clutch of spotteds not one of them bit me....explain that...

yeah if its a jungle.....I've been tagged by a 2year old spotted 10 times so far...trying to help out a friends sister because theyre to scared to handle it as it bites....i handled a a clutch of spotteds not one of them bit me....explain that...

I cant explain why the 1 clutch of spotteds you have experience with did not bite you ....
But I have actually kept , bred and raised 100's of antaresia over the years so from my personal experience I have found that hatchlings will always bite far more than adults .... Maybe once you actually keep more than and breed a few you will see for your self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back