Sand monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kr0nick

Reaction score
Hi all I am wondering what a good outdoor pit size for a sand monitor is ? maybe a pair. Thanks
Also would they be alright in southeast QLD all year round outdoors.

they would be fine a additions heat light could be used if it gets too cold but not needed. the bigger the better... min imo would be 4mx4 +

Hey thank Cadwallader i will get onto making a 5x4 outdoor pit With supp Heat added. Will colourbond fencing be alright for a pit with no cover to make viewing and moving about easier?

Yes you should be able to keep them outdoor all year round in southeast QLD. enclosure size the bigger the better for Sand Monitor's cause they are very active during the hot weather, l myself would build a outdoor enclosure for 1 pair like what you here here in this photo, which is 12 foot long - 8 foot wide - 3 foot high walls.

Make sure they are provided with a fully enclosed dry area cause they don't like to much rain, as you should know Sand Monitor's a found in dry arid or desert regions, where it is always hot and dry most of the time.

Last edited:
Yes you should be able to keep them outdoor all year round in southeast QLD. enclosure size the bigger the better for Sand Monitor's cause they are very active during the hot weather, l myself would build a outdoor enclosure for 1 pair like what you here here in this photo, which is 12 foot long - 8 foot wide - 3 foot high walls.

Make sure they are provided with a fully enclosed dry area cause they don't like to much rain, as you should know Sand Monitor's a found in dry arid or desert regions, where it is always hot and dry most of the time.
Thanks reptilian yes i know they come from arid desert regions, What is your outdoor enclosure? is that steel sheeting. and what dimensions?
Also is the A frame the dry enclosed area?

Fantastic looking pit Reptilian,
I gather the cords go to under ground heat pannels?
Also do the PVC pipes go to heated dens?

Big Plus in my eyes is that your Monitors are outdoors,
yet they are protected from Cats ect, well done.

KrOnick, what use to be my outdoor enclosure for my Desert Sand Monitor's, was made from 19mm thick exterior plywood, the sand pit was made from treated pine timber and was fully enclosed to help keep the sand dry all year round, the roof was made from polycarbon and bolted to a steel frame.

The dimensions of this outdoor enclosure as mention in my first post was 12 foot long - 8 foot wide - 3 foot high walls, the sand pit was 6 foot square - 14 inches deep, the 2 hide boxes were both 6 foot long - 1 foot square.

Hey reptilian thanks for adding another pic that has given me alot of ideas, and also and idea to keep my monitors safe, I was thinking of an open top style with covered hides but your design seem alot more effective in keeping the monitors dry amd protected. Looks like a have abit more research to do, Also thanks for the advice.

Hi Andyscott, thanks for the good feed back on what use to be my outdoor Desert Sand Monitor enclosure.

The 2 powers cords you see were both part of 2 x 160watt Radiant Panel Heaters, that provided heat in the middle of the sand pit for the Monitor's, and the 2 x PVC pipes were attached to each hide box, the hide box on the left did have 1 x 50watt Radiant Panel Heater attached to the roof of the hide box on the left in the middle, why the hide box on the right had no heating inside it at all.

Like you say it was designed to keep out cats and dogs based on its design and security, and to stop anyone from trying to break in and steal what were my 5 awesome Desert Sand Monitor's - Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus, that were all collected on permit from the wild in 2001 & 2002 from Alice Springs NT as part of a captive breeding program.

KrOnick, l hope my information and photos do help you in designing and building a outdoor enclosure for your Sand Monitor's, let me tell you it was not cheap to build this enclosure, it cost me close to $3600-00 to get a close friend of mine who is a tradesman to build it for me.

Last edited:
Holy ****** that is alot of dollar :), I have been planning a 4x2.2x1.8 enclosure for a lace monitor which was only going to cost me about $300 but i was going to make it from hardwood posts and handymesh. So i think i will be able to make a sandie enclosure on the cheap and yes mate they are helping immensely. And lol i shouldn't need to worry about security i am getting my RottiexMastiff Attack dog trained :) hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back