Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will happen eventually. I don't think the government cares too much so long as they can tax it :lol:

I'm no expert...it just seems to me any animal deemed invasive has been released in huge numbers.. cane toads, slider turtles, fox's, rabbits ect ect.... Would it not be the same scenario if a giant populous of bearded dragons were released into a range that does not naturally support them? Beardies seem a great suspect in a false scenario. Or is ok for natives to populate areas they do not naturally occur? Or irresponsible owners dumping clutches of ''junk'' carpets into the wild to later contaminate local blood lines?

Ok... I have seen some post talking about Florida and blaming the people for the amount of exotics they have running around down there, but you guys forgot one important thing..... Hurricanes. Back in the 1990's, Florida had so many hurricanes come through there and wipe out almost everything in Miami. Are people part of the reason? Yes. Are people the only reason? No. Which one will do more damage to the ecosystem? 20 or 30 people letting go a Burmese python every now and then or 5 or more hurricanes a year coming through and wiping out zoos, parks, reptile centers and so on and then the snakes getting out??

But that wouldnt happen in Australia
We dont have hurricanes
Only cyclones
So the answer remains the same regardless of how they may escape
especially since a decent burmese will drop 100 eggs

Keep them out as much as possible

The only places retics and burmese would thrive in Aus are tropical rainforests and there is not that much big tucker available to them there apart from wild pigs so they would follow Floridas example and hit the mangrove areas

The worrying ones would be Kraits and Blue Corals as they inhabit a much wider range of climatic conditions
50% fatality rate from Kraits and possibly higher from Blue Corals

But that wouldnt happen in Australia
We dont have hurricanes
Only cyclones
So the answer remains the same regardless of how they may escape
especially since a decent burmese will drop 100 eggs

Keep them out as much as possible

The only places retics and burmese would thrive in Aus are tropical rainforests and there is not that much big tucker available to them there apart from wild pigs so they would follow Floridas example and hit the mangrove areas

The worrying ones would be Kraits and Blue Corals as they inhabit a much wider range of climatic conditions
50% fatality rate from Kraits and possibly higher from Blue Corals

Florida's climate is much like that of Southeast Asia. Also, Florida does have a lot of prey items for the Burmese pythons from Alligators to birds to wild deer to pigs. That is why they do pretty well in Florida. Like I said before though, every year in the winter more and more burms die. I don't know how well exotics from the U.S. would do in Australia in the wild. Take the corn snake for ex. Say a corn does manage to get loose in the wild, over there, you have so many predators from Native cats to dingos, other snakes such as Womas and Black-headed pythons to monitors. And what about the temperature difference from the United States to Australia? There are so many factors to take into consideration when talking about how exotics will do in a non native environment.

as much as i would love a burmese python, there is no way i would be willing to risk the rest of our native wildlife to have one..... i say no to allowing them to be legally owned (private collection)

Florida's climate is much like that of Southeast Asia. Also, Florida does have a lot of prey items for the Burmese pythons from Alligators to birds to wild deer to pigs. That is why they do pretty well in Florida. Like I said before though, every year in the winter more and more burms die. I don't know how well exotics from the U.S. would do in Australia in the wild. Take the corn snake for ex. Say a corn does manage to get loose in the wild, over there, you have so many predators from Native cats to dingos, other snakes such as Womas and Black-headed pythons to monitors. And what about the temperature difference from the United States to Australia? There are so many factors to take into consideration when talking about how exotics will do in a non native environment.
But your just taking one animal..... if we allow exotics we allow millions of animals and some out of sheer quantity are bound to do well take the savanah monitor for example their habitat is the african savanah (dry gasslands) and they have much the same diet as other monitors therefore they would be an excelant candidate for disaster, placing strain on the natural food order and competing with other animals it's size And what would be it's predator?? Not much. This is just an example but think of the millions of other possibioities not to mention diseases that could be introduced.

bottom line is exotics are illegal for private keepers (in most cases) in Australia.
we wont be allowing imports of exotics in the near futire if ever for private keepers.
this subject has been done to death over and over again.. it reminds me of a mouse running around on one of those mice wheels and never going anywhere.. so Im closing this thread.

mouse_wheel_200x220.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back