Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Antaresias always seemed to hate me, it was depressing and getting me down

but

with new wonder tub my life has turned around.
I moved them into tub/drawers set ups and they seem to be totally settled now. Occasional food oriented attempts at biting but mostly calm and docile.

yer i wasnt ment to send two threads it was only this one. but i read the herp help nad thought it would suit that thread better. i dont no how to delete it tho

Cheers Stace :)

Since you took that observation so well, I would also beg you not to say 'I have done heaps of research' in the context of asking a really basic husbandry question. Please :)

Good luck with your snake!

Cheers Stace :)

Since you took that observation so well, I would also beg you not to say 'I have done heaps of research' in the context of asking a REALLY BASIC HUSBANDRY question. Please :)

Good luck with your snake!

I believe the question that was asked had nothing to do with husbandry at all........suggestions on ways to calm the nerves was what she asked.........:) & no matter how much research she does on reptiles, there wont be alot of 'stress relieving' techniques offered!

Agreed Bel, well worded.

I read and research all the time. BOY is there a lot of into out there!!

I too am still very nervy with Moose's pointy end. I think it's a case of desensitisation of our instinct to pull away..... I'm finding that tough!! I got bitten on night 1 and it's not the bite, it was a non-event...

It's the strike itself and the "S" pose that causes the nerves.

It's a natural human respose. For thousands of years we as humans have evolved to shy away from the pointy end of danderous creatures, now that we don't need them for food. I can tell you I've tried to pop my hand in front of Moose while he's expecting it - let me tell you it's harder than it sounds.

But like the OP, I would never let this impact his quality of care and I'm working on it.

I currently use a hook to let him know I'm there, scoop him up with that then (even while he's still in the enclosure) I can use my other hand to give him support, or just let him slide straight onto my hand. It's just the typical respose that a lot of snakes have, to be cage defensive, as he's a gem 95% of the time when he's out and it a wonderful little guy, but it's just that initial meet and greet that I'm going to have to work on. He's a part of my family for his life, so I'm in no rush.

Agreed Bel, well worded.

I read and research all the time. BOY is there a lot of into out there!!

I too am still very nervy with Moose's pointy end. I think it's a case of desensitisation of our instinct to pull away..... I'm finding that tough!! I got bitten on night 1 and it's not the bite, it was a non-event...

It's the strike itself and the "S" pose that causes the nerves.

It's a natural human respose. For thousands of years we as humans have evolved to shy away from the pointy end of danderous creatures, now that we don't need them for food. I can tell you I've tried to pop my hand in front of Moose while he's expecting it - let me tell you it's harder than it sounds.

But like the OP, I would never let this impact his quality of care and I'm working on it.

I currently use a hook to let him know I'm there, scoop him up with that then (even while he's still in the enclosure) I can use my other hand to give him support, or just let him slide straight onto my hand. It's just the typical respose that a lot of snakes have, to be cage defensive, as he's a gem 95% of the time when he's out and it a wonderful little guy, but it's just that initial meet and greet that I'm going to have to work on. He's a part of my family for his life, so I'm in no rush.

im the same with the "s" pose, and yes it is pure instinct to pull away when struck or attacked in any form. i agree with both you and bel711.

I believe the question that was asked had nothing to do with husbandry at all........suggestions on ways to calm the nerves was what she asked.........:) & no matter how much research she does on reptiles, there wont be alot of 'stress relieving' techniques offered!

Most posters have offered advice as if the original question was 'how to deal with a bitey snake?', part of which is dealing with your reaction, as well as the practical matters like hooks, cloths, saying it's normal etc. OP has responded positively specifically to some of this advice. So those seem like good enough criteria to say that the info offered on dealing with a snappy snake at least partially met the OP's needs, and that offering this advice was a reasonable interpretation of the OP's request.

"How do I deal with my snappy snake?" is a fairly generic question, which is no crime, as I've said. All I was doing was pointing out that it's better not to make statements about how much research you have done when you are still asking basic husbandry questions. How to handle a common behaviour in your animal is a quintessential husbandry question! Nothing wrong with those. . . . or sexist either :p

I hope the snake calms down soon, and some of the solutions offered are effective :) Some stress relief and relaxation techniques for yourself can't go astray neither. Relax! It will all be ok.

I know your question was how to calm your nerves but there is no simple answer to that i'm afraid ( no pun intended) take a deep breath and go for it. BUT before you do, think about how you're approaching her/ him ! Are you opening the door and waking her up rather abruptly ? Are you putting your hand in higher than she is? In other words are you accidentally causing her to go into defense mode? I'd suggest opening the door at the opposite end to where she is, do something/ anything that will make sure she is aware that you are there... Take the water bowl out, clean the floor - doesn't matter if you only pretend. Then close that end, open the end where she is and try and bring your hand in "underneath" - slide it along the floor and under her body as she tries to head away, hook your thumb over the top to make it easier to get your fingers under to pick her up underneath. Coming in "over head" will make her think it's a predator ...
once she settles then so will you. At the moment it sounds like you're both in 'fight or flight' mode.
Good luck :)

Last edited:
Try resting your hand next to him/her in the enclosure. This way you will get a bit used to each other. I do this with my Bredli who is a flighty little bugger and it seems to be working. He is relaxing a bit and so am I. I would get him out most days if I could, but I feel satisfied when I can let him slither threw my hands whilst in his enclosure or give him a gentle stroke on the days he's being a turd and wont come out to play. He has struck at me a few times, but the only time he got me was when I stuck my arm out to stop him biting my mother in law. Now thats commitment for you.:D
Keep at it and good luck. You'll be pro in no time.
PS I bet you cant stop at one python.;)

Sorry, wrote this response but by the time i got around to sending it there was another page of posts. There has been some great advice given, especially Bel, Killifish and Longqi...

Don’t be concerned about your nervousness and reactions when it strikes. These are perfectly normal reactions for who you are and certainly don’t warrant a change of pet of themselves. You have already found a solution – remove it with a cloth. Longqi, a highly experienced member on here and living in Bali, has a large collection of pythons including Green Trees, Reticulated and Burmese, many of which are wild caught and then rescued from the restaurant trade. He uses cloths to pick up ALL his pythons ALL the time. Snakes basically do not like the touch of human hands, particularly first up, but they learn to tolerate it. For a snake in the wild, something warm grabbing hold of it is usually the forerunner to it ending up on the dinner menu. Once out, Longqi just supports the python in one hand with the cloth and allows it to transfer itself to the other naked hand when it is ready.

Handling every day is a bit much for a young python. So take the advice given and give it a bit of a break. You can still open up the enclosure and admire it. I would tend to take it out on those days it is calmer and just leave it on the days it’s looking highlydefensive. So you might have it out every day for a week or you might leave it in for four or five days running. Basically, just play it by ear.

Young pythons are subject to predation from a broad range of animals. As they grow, their size protects them more and more and often what was once a predator becomes prey. As a result, they tend to hideaway and be a bit on the high strung side as youngsters but mellow out as they get older.

With time and experience you will get better at predicting the snake's behaviour. This, in conjunction with a tecnique that you know allows you to remove and handle the snake without the likelihood of it striking, will allow you to lose those nerves. Watch little kids learning to somersault on the balance beam - nervous as hell and stuff up more often than not. Watch someone learning to ride a bike first time - same thing. It is perfectly normal to be nervous under these circumstances. If anything, I would be concerned if you were not nervous - something would not be right.

Keep up the good work and most importantly, ENJOY!

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to reasure you, (cant spell) I just handled my Bredli, and after the big stand off with the eyes and S neck, he gave me a kiss on the finger. Didn't even draw blood. Then proceeded to slither up my arm and all was good. He's now enjoying a nice mousie. I am new to this aswell, (3 or 4 months) but every day I get more confident, as will you.
Not sure how old you are, but, How many people can go to school and say "I got bit by a snake yesterday"?:)

What you believe and what is apparent are not always incompatable. Often behaviour is linked directly to husbandry. In this case it is one of the suggested methods. One I suggest that the OP look at.

My only suggestion, as has been said already, is to just keep trying.. Eventually you'll get over the nerves a bit.
Having said that, I'm still a bit nervous with my jungle at times.. When she climbs up on to the bar stool, she *really* doesn't want to be disturbed.

I wouldnt waste money on a hook. As its been suggested, just take the bite. I was reluctant when i purchased my Stimmi hatchy from beeman, so i decided the best way to get over it was to know what it was like. So i asked him to show me a more aggressive hatchy for the sole purpose of being bitten. It was actually a Spotted that tagged me and i found it hilarious at how i was fearful once it had done it once (and then a second and third time lol). It doesnt hurt in the slightest, its just the strike that is intimidating. Once you get the first out of the way you will be fine. I think that they sense our fear and play on it. You'll be lucky if it breaks the skin... it feels like a bit of pressure.

I recently purchased a 6ft Diamond and again found the same issues (mostly becuase it hasnt been handled much and is a bit cage defensive). To over come it i had some liquad courage and popped on some gloves. All good now. Its tried to tag me once, but was unsuccessful. Im sure it will happen, and once it does the fear will subside

But as far as hatchies go, just let it go and you'll be fine!!

Last edited:
You can get cheap small hooks off ebay, otherwise your local reptile supplier should have them.

Pick your baby up with a hook, you will become more confident and both of you will stress less :D

We have a little spotted that is more skittish then our other reps, just seems to be normal for a young spotted.

And for all of you out there saying take the tag? WHY? I still haven't been tagged yet and am fearful of it, thats why I use a hook and make sure my animals are settled....doesn't mean I'm not going to get tagged but I'll be damned if I am deliberately going to put myself in the position to be tagged, how do you do that when the thought of it can scare you silly?

Doesn't mean I don't look after my snakes either....I do all the feeding and cleaning of the tanks and snakes here with hubby giving me a hand with the bigger animals and things while I get used to them ;)

Last edited:
i took her out yesterday and she tagged me a few times. i jolted a bit but it didnt hurt at all. now i am not all that scared, still a bit jumpy but not as much anymore. but im sure it will get better over time.

thank you to everyone who has helped. i have started to use the cloth and it works wonders. :)

Being a bit nervous or cautious isn't always a bad thing.

Once you're comfortable with your snake and he's calmed down a lot, it's the strikes you don't expect at all that are scariest lol.

My woma is such a gentle snake most of the time but once he smells food he's a crazy mofo!

One time I got complacent and had forgotten I was putting ducks in the freezer prior to changing his water bowl and as soon as I opened his tub he struck so fast, I jumped and smashed my hand on the rack lol.

Even though my woma and bhp are big softys, I still get a bit nervous when feeding them ;)

And for all of you out there saying take the tag? WHY? I still haven't been tagged yet and am fearful of it, thats why I use a hook and make sure my animals are settled....doesn't mean I'm not going to get tagged but I'll be damned if I am deliberately going to put myself in the position to be tagged, how do you do that when the thought of it can scare you silly?

Because at that age/size the tag feels more like a small amount of pressure so it will remove the fear and likely hood of you reacting and injuring the snake. The last thing i would want to do to my little Stimmi is pull away if it ever tagged me and risk flinging the snake or doing damage to its teeth. I understand being a little scared of it, but its just the thought of the unknown. So remove the unknown and you and it will both be happier in the long run!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back