SCALES & TAILS Festival....... Re: Reptiles for sale at the festival...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb64

Reaction score
ATT.... RE: REPTILES FOR SALE at the Scales & Tails festival......

I will be organizing the movement advice's etc for the animals available for sale at the festival on the 12th Nov..
If you have any reptiles that you are wanting to being along for sale (must be reptiles that are on the Qld commercial list) can you please email me at [email protected] , please do this ASAP with your current reptile license details, your address as shown on your permit and a contact number, also include a list of every animal you are wanting to offer for sale.. I will then forward you the itinerary for the day and instructions in regards to the necessary steps that need to be adhered to in order to be able to sell your animals at the festival...You need to contact me with the necessary information ASAP in order to get your table secured for the day..

Regards Deb

Get your details in early as we only have a certain number of stalls available for sales.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be great having reptiles available for sale,can't wait to see whats on offer.

There's not much mystery to what can be offered - only very few common species, and no carpets of any kind. The restricted species list was posted elsewhere, and it's not very exciting.

Jamie

Pythoninfinite there is not a lot of mystery in the snake species allowed on the Qld commercial I agree.... only Anteresia... Where the mystery lies though is the localities within the species.... Being Collectors, keepers and breeders of many locale specific anteresia I know the beautiful diversity amongst them...Anyone who has owned or seen Gascoyne,Port Hedland, Wheatbelt, Julia Creek, Leigh Creek, Normanton etc etc Stims will know the individual species beauty.. Then there are the mind blowing Blonde and Cairns macs on offer these days.... The list goes on.. Who knows what will be on offer on the day :)
There are also some beautiful geckos that are available on the list and some very impressive color forms of dragons available.... I cant see how you as a herper can not find any of the above interesting??????

Regards Deb

When will the Qld bureaucrats going to see the light? Everyone is advertising and selling reptiles all over the country, yet they don't allow it to go on in an organised, and well supervised events such as reptile expos. I hope a big lightning and thunder will strike the DERM dinosaurs and they will wake up and rule sensibly.

I agree Waterrat..... But this is a small step in the right direction for Qld.... Lets hope it is the beginning of bigger and better things to come and that the herp community get behind it with support rather than belittle this achievement.... All reptiles have a place in the herp world no matter how common or rare they may be and we need to be proud to promote our entire native animal population, not just the ones we feel are *special*... I hope to catch up with you all at the festival :)

There's not much mystery to what can be offered - only very few common species, and no carpets of any kind. The restricted species list was posted elsewhere, and it's not very exciting.

Jamie

?? what you seem very anti the festival , so anyone who keeps Antaresia just keeps very common snakes?
Perhaps you should stop commenting about it if you have nothing nice to say?

Waterrat,

I agree 100%,what better place than a festival/expo for newbies and oldies to find a variety (all be it limited at this stage) of reptiles in 1 place,would be such a boost to the hobby/industry.

Sure, someone can sit at their computer and denigrate the efforts of Joy and the Scales and Tails team in getting permission to sell reptiles on the Commercial list at Queensland expos, but that ignorantly dismisses the many beautiful animals available within that list.
It also ignorantly dismisses that with everything, there is a first step.

Hell, reptiles on the Commercial list can be sold at Queensland expos this year :D
Maybe exotics next year? If Joy was determined to make it happen, watch out!

Don't forget, this year is the FIRST TIME EVER that any reptile will be able to be sold at a Queensland expo/festival. That took some hard work to get into place.

Any future events in Queensland will have the trailblazing team at Scales and Tails Australia to thank for their success.

They deserve the salutations and glory for their efforts, and no one will be able to steal that from them.

My comments were general, not linked to the festival or any particular event. The restriction on selling reptiles on rec. licence is totally unnecessary. We are dealing with captive bred animals - not with wildlife.
The magic word "intend" is what's in the way of logic. If you intend to make living or even subsidise your regular income with profits from reptile sales, you're breaking the law. So, if you make 100 bucks profit from selling your progeny (I don't mean selling your kids), what do you suppose to do with the money? You put it into the same valet as your wages .... that means you have subsidised your regular income. That's what has been explained to me by a QPWS high ranking officer. Logic ????????

I agree Waterrat..... I hope to catch up with you all at the festival :)

I won't be there this year, I'll be shooting geckos in NZ.

Last edited:
?? what you seem very anti the festival , so anyone who keeps Antaresia just keeps very common snakes?
Perhaps you should stop commenting about it if you have nothing nice to say?

I personally wouldn't interpret it so negatively, and I wouldn't see it as anti-festival, just that it will be limited selection of what's available in the wider market. I didn't see any generalisation made towards those who do keep Antaresia, just a representation of what will be available.

I believe the fact remains that within this hobby, it is considered a common snake (it's what most non-enthusiasts will end up with, bought from the pet store), but I think everyone here can appreciate that being allowed to sell any snake at one of these exhibitions is a step forward for the hobby and a step in the right direction. Hopefully one step at a time and the appropriate departments will see that any sales can be dealt with in a manner that conforms with all licensing and registration requirements.

Once again, great work to the organisers!

EDIT: Beaten to it by the two posts above, should have refreshed. Well said guys!

I feel that for people who are fairly new to the hobby that it might be a good idea for me to elaborate a little on the history of Expos/Festivals up here in Qld.

It's only been a few years since Simon Pimm and his team made the huge effort and launched the first Qld Expo up in Gladstone. Way to go guys! Huge leap forward for Qld.

When we look back to just three short years ago when we launched our magazine, the only people who could sell at the Qld Expo were AFTCRA and Scales & Tails Australia and the only reason that we could sell was because our products were educational material. That was a frustrating time for everyone, but it was still a step forward however to previously when Qld wasn't even allowed to have an Expo. We've all had to take baby steps and not push the boundaries too much to be able to achieve what we have to date.

Then, three years ago, we took a leaf from the Gladstone team's book and launched our own Expo, we called it a Festival to focus more on the mingling aspect, and successfully managed to take things to the next level and were able to sell everything except reptiles.

Now at our third Festival we have worked hard and obtained permission to be able to sell whatever is on a Qld Commercial license,,,,,, Again, more baby steps, a lot more hard work, but Expos/Festivals in Qld have come a long way in the last three years and we're very proud of our efforts in making this happen. The Gladstone team has worked darn hard to get things rolling initially, along with the Gold Coast team and ourselves and each year we are all achieving more and more. The record speaks for itself.

Michelle, you've mentioned armchair experts.... You know I've found in life that no matter what you are doing to try to improve things, that you'll always get some people who will take great pleasure in making negative comments no matter what strides forward you are making. Usually you'll find that these are 'sad' individuals with an axe to grind. It's a shame really, but that's the way it is.

Everyone, there'll be some really awesome animals on display, and as previously stated, we will for the first time, have certain animals for sale..... Baby steps everyone.... One step at a time and who knows what the future will hold. One thing I do know though, the only way for Expos/Festivals to continue to improve is with the support of the community and for that I thank everyone. Thank you too to the people in the other states for all the hard work that you put into making your Expos so successful as well. It can be a really 'thankless' task I know only too well.

I'll be looking forward to personally catching up with as many people as I can at the Festival.

Cheers
Joy

Last edited:
Thanks heaps Fay :)

Everyone with reptiles they are wanting to sell at the festival PLEASE get your details to me asap as tables are filling up quickly.....
Email me at [email protected]

Regards Deb

Even IF you are limited to what animals you sell on the day, it is a great way to meet various breeders, have a look at their animals on display (not sale) chew their ears off and get contacts for when you are able to purchase the animal of your dreams lol

Same at the IRS show, may not sell much but certainly get to meet a lot of people and get our name out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what it's all about Fay for sure....... and if we all support each other then the hobby and everyone involved in it are definite winners.

I'm really looking forward to this one, it might be the last one I can get to for some time :)

I'm really looking forward to this one, it might be the last one I can get to for some time :)

We're looking forward to catching up with you too boa......... Can't believe you're leaving us...... you'll be missed for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back