Wetland For Primary School

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Catcher Victoria

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Recieved this email today and it got me thinking if a wetland next to a primary school is a good idea.
I know I loved the swamp next to my school when i was a kid but the mothers club is worried about snakes, Here is the letter.
Hi Baz

Hope you can help me with some feedback and your opinion.

My children's primary school is going to be building a frog pit/wetlands area and I believe of sum substance as they have raised money and have grants for its construction. Sounds good. But my concern is snakes. Call me an over protective mother.LOL

The school is located in a new estate, with built waterways through the estate, and still open grass lands, the school is also across from an open grass area that will eventually be a train line running through. The school being new, has open grass land at the front off it as well.

Location is west of Werribee.

I know that we get tiger snakes in this area, neighbours dog was bitten by a baby one and died.

What is your expert opinion will this frog pond attract snakes. what precautions should they take.

thank you for your time.

Catherine.

the school would be wise to run a reptile education module of some sort so the kids would know what to do when confronted by one of the many local tigers in this area.
Also the school would need to ensure the rodent population was under control and the perimeters were snakeproofed maybe..
Has anyone got any constructive ideas?
Thats what im after

A snake proof premisses might be hard to do along with trying to keep the rodent level down, considering the amount of food left floating about but not impossible.
I think you're best bet would be to remove the food source & you'll remove the the possible "problem"? as you have already stated.

Love the concept though something i would of thoroughly enjoyed throughout my school years.

Snakeproofing is difficult. But the education at an early age is what makes people respect the enviroment and critters down the track. If you could get some people that are experts in all levels regarding the wetland environment come to educate, be that flora, fawna and how it all works together would be a huge turning point and respect of how each animal and species tick and has their place within an ecosystem, otherwise they may just learn from uneducated people that any good snake is a dead snake.
Convince their parents that all possible education from all angles are given and even welcome the parents to sit in when some guest speakers appear (may educate them as well)
Either way congrats on the oppurtunity and I take my hat off to you if even one of those child respects their environment and the critters that inhabit it.

It sounds very overprotective. I think further discussions of the idea that there could be snakes and how to respect there boundaries will only build on the paranoia surrounding the idea.

Baz are you a teacher?

I went to primary school at altona meadows and we had wetlands there I honestly never saw a snake there once. Not saying they were not there but I never saw them all I ever saw where frogs and bluetoungs. I believe that there a good idea because honestly I can say that's where my love for reptiles came from.

Cheers Brenton

It sounds very overprotective. I think further discussions of the idea that there could be snakes and how to respect there boundaries will only build on the paranoia surrounding the idea.

Baz are you a teacher?

You have to remember everything has to be taken into account when projects like these are being considered, never the less i do agree with what you're saying.

Done the right way it shouldnt create the wrong reaction, as in added paranioa.
Im sure there is a way you can educate with out scaring people.
im not a teacher Willie.
I see what you mean as it might be a can of worms better left unopened but the parents are already concerned that snakes could be around their kids.
Explaining that by having a wetlands near by they are actually controlling the snake population by giving them somewhere to go will help.
Thats a pro..I cant think of to many cons...mozzies maybe,It would be good if its fenced off from the primary school kids unless they are required to go in for school reasons..

The shadecloth idea is probably not practical for a primary school like this one though.

Elevated walkway is a great idea if it is financially viable...Like anything I spose..it's all about the bucks.

Last edited:
With the right pond contours, they will get frogs and it will be too deep for mosquitos. A boardwalk will allow safe viewing of frogs with no worry of stepping on frogs or snakes and also the added benefit of protecting the environment and keeping kids off boggy ground. It would be a great project for the P & C. The local council will have regulations about what sort of fencing may be required, depending on the depth and size of the pond/wetland. The local environment officer from the council should be able to help with some of the design to make it friendly for animals. If some of the larger birds hang around, the snakes will stay hidden!

Our one had elevated timber walkways. And we never had a problem with mozies. I remember running through there all the time looking for frogs and tadpoles. It was the beat thing about our school.

Cheers Brenton

Elevated walkway is a great idea if it is financially viable...Like anything I spose..it's all about the bucks.

Timber work is expensive. The company I work for has done similar projects for several schools in the same area, mostly funded through government grants.

The urban growth through these grasslands will undoubtedly lead to encounters with tigers. Minimizing the risk is all you can do.

I used to work at the LaTrobe Uni wildlife sanctuary and they actually will install frog bogs for schools. Honestly we never found it to be a huge issue, schools are such busy places I don't think most snakes would find them overly appealing, the only snakes I've ever seen around schools have been on the very backs of ovals especially where there is long grass, this would be more of a concern than a frog bog.

i went to primary school in Kemps Creek and we had a huge dam out the back of the school ( on the other side of the fence) and the school was sourended by bush land,so we used to get the odd brown or red belly in the playground, but our school had a guy come out every year to give a talk on snakes and what to do it you saw one, if a snake did turn up everyone knew what to do, my point is if you educate people about snakes and what to do if you see one then it should be fine.

My daughters school has a frog pond and its surranded by bushland. The kids call this area "the forest". They have frogs and fish. They also have chicken coops and garden where they grow vegitables and herbs. Next year they will work on a worm farm. Personally I think this is a fantastic idea! Not only it teaches the kids about fresh produce, nature but wide life - including snakes and other predators. It also attracts other wildlife like birds, buterflies etc.
And really the only snake I ever seen or heard of at school is ours!!! Being concern about our kids is natural but I think the world is getting over protective! Let the kids enjoy some nature, how else are we expect them to learn???

Thanks for the input here, I like the idea of the boardwalk.
It's good that the kids get a chance to get close to nature in this way I think.
The parents who are worried about snakes can
hopefully be made to see all the good things that would come from a wetlands.

Baz my school is on a flood plain. Apart from the odd brown moving through, the only times we've had snakes is when there has been debris on the ground or the garden and grass has got overgrown. Actually come to think of it we do get alot of vens on the school grounds... hmmmm... and the od crocodile.

When i was in primary school two friends and i went looking for snakes in the garden at lunchtime. We found some and my two friends went on a holiday to the local hospital... all without a wetland garden.

Still, i feel the dangers are probably overstated. I think if the school ran a wildlife type of unit then snake safety could be taught without generating hype amongst the kids and parents.

It's a great idea.

Would be nice for the school to include the care and observation of the wetland area and it's residents as part of the school curriculum - do they still do nature studies in infants and primary school ?

If venomous snakes are likely to visit the area sometimes, then it should be fenced off and made "visit under supervision of a a teacher" ONLY. Though I expect snakes will tend to avoid contact with noisey kiddies given the choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back