Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The girl is cute. She has her moments. This is her earlier in the week (she laid eggs on Thursday).
139207847.jpg

So Crocodoc what is the gestation period (is that the right word for reptiles lol) for lacies?
And is it similar to other monitors?
thanks
Jordan

Alex is brilliant yellow in person. No photograph ever captures it. Jordan, typically around 30 days from first mating to egg laying (15-18 days from ovulation to egg laying). Her shortest has been 21 days from first mating to egg laying.

One for the monitor fanatics.

L-R - V.beccarii, V. reisingeri, V. prasinus and V. macraei

Attachments

• IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 378
One for the monitor fanatics.

L-R - V.beccarii, V. reisingeri, V. prasinus and V. macraei

Are you in Australia? They are some amazing colours.. would love to own some of those.. good work.

How big do ackies get? are they a good first monitor? Also are monitors ok with being handled? obviously nothing are like a beardie but do they always stay skittish like an ewd or do they grow to be indifferent to their handlers? Great thread :)

Are you in Australia? They are some amazing colours.. would love to own some of those.. good work.

How big do ackies get? are they a good first monitor? Also are monitors ok with being handled? obviously nothing are like a beardie but do they always stay skittish like an ewd or do they grow to be indifferent to their handlers? Great thread :)

justdragons, the monitors in Dan's post are exotic - therefore we can't own them here.

Ackies average out at approx. 60-65cm in length and are thought of as the beginner monitor by most.

I don't believe any monitors 'like' being handled, however some do tolerate it. In saying that, you must first build trust with a monitor.

If you are looking for something similar to a beardie etc. where you can sit on the couch with it and walk around the house with it on your shirt or shoulder, then a monitor is not the right reptile for you.

justdragons, the monitors in Dan's post are exotic - therefore we can't own them here.

Ackies average out at approx. 60-65cm in length and are thought of as the beginner monitor by most.

I don't believe any monitors 'like' being handled, however some do tolerate it. In saying that, you must first build trust with a monitor.

If you are looking for something similar to a beardie etc. where you can sit on the couch with it and walk around the house with it on your shirt or shoulder, then a monitor is not the right reptile for you.

Nah, i have beardies and dont need that in a reptile but i do want to be able to take the animal out of the cage from time to time for cleaning and a bit of natural sun time and a leg stretch( its a bit rough spending your whole life in the same environment) without it being a battle. I really struggle to catch my ewds due to their size, flightyness and enclosure size.

what sort of prices are we looking at? is a 4ft wide x 3ft high x 2ft deep tank big enough for a pair of ackies?

This thread is about to cost me i think lol. sorry if this should all be in another spot.

Cheers for the help

DanN, You sir...are a god.....

Haha, although I often like to think so, there is nothing devine about witnessing the illegal collection of hundreds of animals to supply the international pet trade.. but I'm glad you like the photos :)

Last edited:
Back