Blue Rat?? PICS

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helikaon

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps, i breed a tonne of rats but this bugger popped out of a litter a little while ago was wondering if this is what is considered a blue. Are they really as rare as some have illuded?

P1090603.jpg

P1090602-1.jpg

P1090606.jpg

thanks for your time

cheers
gary

Actually, considering the dove next to him, which I imagine might be a litter mate, I'd say he looks more blue mink to me :)

Not rare as hen's teeth, anymore, but still nice for the colour to pop up in your lines!

Its hard to say. it is a line i have had for 5 years but i have added new genetics in at times and two seperate strains of lab rats have been bred into it as well.

I was going to suggest mink as well, they often popped up in my litters with doves.

lol i assume the non albino is the dove? i couldnt even tell you if it is a sibling or not, they are just three that i grabbed out of the growing tub.

they regularly pop up when crossing that lab rat strain..... they are nice hey ????

can anyone link me to somehwere with the different colours and picture examples. Who knows what sort of colours i have down their.

yeah joe i have only jsut started keeping some of the random colours poppin up, i was only keeping the albinos and had 90% albinos about a year ago.

I was going to suggest mink as well, they often popped up in my litters with doves.
Blue minks are still Blues, they are just minks as well

Yeah the creamy one is a Dove (which is a ruby-eyed mink)

Actually, considering the dove next to him, which I imagine might be a litter mate, I'd say he looks more blue mink to me :)

Not rare as hen's teeth, anymore, but still nice for the colour to pop up in your lines!
yeah I thought BM as well but the lack of a head cap had me thinking otherwise, but hey they arent always that noticeable

As Kristy said they arent all that rare anymore, at least not in rat circles, finding one at a pet shop for example is not common though.
If you want to breed more its a recessive gene so breeding back to one of the parents will produce more

Last edited:
Hey dude,

How do your rats not have runny noses or anything?! I get some and set them up like everyone else and they manage to still get myco. How do you set them up if you dont mind me asking?

Jordy :)

Good genes is a good start Jordo. Do some research and find a good breeder(not a pet shop) and go and look at their animals. Bets indicator for whether the babies will be more resistan to myco is their parents. Then look at bedding and cleanliness. I avoid wood shavings for bedding.

I Keep them dry and warm. i try not to overcrowd them and they have ad lib food and fresh water. other then that i definitely still get some that show signs but they are euthed as soon as i notice. I do full cleans every fortnight but clean any cage that gets over messy during the week as well

i also use rice hull and shredded paper

Thanks for the reply guys, i get them from "well known" breeders and they just end up getting it. I keep them warm and never over crowd them, they still manage to get it. I use to do full cleans every 3 days so its not like they where dirty or anything. :(

Jordy :)

Pretty much all rats carry mycoplasma unless you get them directly from uninfected lab stock or breeders that have the same strict quarantine control (virtually none).
Unfortunately its something all rat breeders will have to deal with at some stage or another.

You cannot breed it out as its passed on from mother to foetus during birth and/or lactation period.
The best thing you can hope for is to improve the immune system of your line by selective breeding.

Last edited:
nice healthy rats... i got a few minks like that 1
i think he's playing the harmonica in the last pic ;]

anyone care to give me some insight on these
P1090616.jpg

P1090615.jpg

P1090613.jpg

P1090612.jpg

P1090610.jpg

P1090608.jpg

i have quite a few of these sorts of colours, a few wild type looking ones and some typical black and white and cream and white ones.

Mink, cinnamon, argente or fawn, dove or buff, silverfawn, mink. The wild type ones are called agouti :)

The eye colour is linked to the coat colour. So a black eyed wild looking brown rat is agouti, and the orange rat with bright pink eyes is silverfawn (aka pink eyed agouti). A black rat with black eyes is black (derp), but a cream coloured rat with bright pink eyes is a champagne (aka pink eyed black). It is quite complicated at first but you can learn all about it on Sunshinerats website. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back