About to buy first snake in Perth, (Stimpson's) Best Place to Purchase?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenr1975

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

I should have my Cat 3 License in a few days and I am busy looking for the best place to buy a Stimpson's Python in Perth. (did a search and couldn't see much on here.)

I have had a look in some of the Pet Shops and didn't like what I saw, except for Reptile Trader in Rockingham, where I Purchased a new enclosure. Looks like the snakes are in good condition there.

I will most likely buy from there, but I wanted to check if there is anywhere else I should have a look beforehand. Prices are quite high ~$450 bucks and they have one that is $595 :shock:.

A question I have is what makes a Stimpson more expensive than similar sized Stimpson's? Is it markings? Temperament?

Another question I have is that I may be interested in breeding in the future and was wondering is there anything pattern wise, or color wise, I should look for in a snake that I may breed from later?

I have been researching hard to provide great conditions for my snake and would really like to get the best one I can find :)

Hope someone is kind enough to shed some light on my questions.

Thanks and really like the forum.

Cheers

Glen

Easy fix is a big old tv cabarnet cheap to buy and convert .Lucy is on my main pic she is unreal bud

Hi Glen,

Reptile Trader located in the Reptile and Grow store in Rockingham is definitely one of the better reptile shops in Perth. There are a number of others plus a number of private dealers that really know their stuff. The cost of any given individual is determined by size, locality (some, like wheat belt forms, are more sought after), colour and pattern, and ease of feeding and handling. The cost is also a reflection of the overheads that have to met by the seller.

Rather than worrying about getting one to breed and sell the progeny at this stage, I would recommend simply buying an individual YOU find appealing. There is still a lot to learn in practical terms of how to rear these animals. When you get to the point that you feel you have the practical skills to deal with all the issues that arise, then you you can put the bigger bucks into procuring specific breeding stock. At that point you can sell your existing animal if you need the cash to proceed. Basically, there is no point in trying to rush your keeping career – gain the experience first.

There are a number of sellers of quality snakes that I am happy to recommend. If you would like me to do so please send me a Private Message requesting that info.

Cheers,
Blue

PS. Stimmies are awesome animals to kick off with. A top choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back